- Focus on ensuring that staff have information they need to get their job done.
- Increase efforts to reach out to all L3 areas in CEE and determine needs and impediments to getting the job done.
- Continue exploring how equity can be improved within the organization. couple these activities with additional training to improve cultural competence beyond race/ethnicity and gender to include other disciplines/domains.
- Ensure that a sense of belonging happens from the top down throughout the project.
- Foster a sense of innovation on the project.
- 1/3 responded to the survey.
- L3s would like to know if ECSS differed statistically significantly from XSEDE overall in anything (Lorna responded no differences between 2017 ECSS/XSEDE ratings). Would also like to know differences between years for ECSS - Lorna will look into this, will take longer.
- Next Step Priorities (From slides):
- Communication of vision and success: improve staff view that ECSS is working on high impact work
- Communication about job responsibilities secure home site support as best as possible
- Continue to improve decision-making communications
- Continue diversity training - expand to include position within the organization
- Review management structure, budget and staffing with L3s
- Follow up on requested training topics.
- ECSS change to JIRA/Confluence should power staff to manage their tasks in a lightweight manner.
- Consider bringing John T to ECSS all hands January training.
- Consider encouraging publications from staff that are not currently working on a project. Or encourage sabbaticals with other areas of the project
- Marlon requested via chat to see L3 area response. Lorna will see if this is possible based on the number of respondents for the area.
- Dave believes that reaching leadership/managers is difficult for staff and may affect how they view the impact of their work.
- Recognizing people for their efforts on XSEDE and relay this information back to local site managers.
- formalize staff evaluation policies
- XCI interested in Slack. PMR testing Slack now and will let XCI know more. Champions and Security use slack.
- consider having different types of sessions like open Q&A on Slack with leadership. Reddit AMA (Ask me anything) session
- John also may join L2 calls periodically
- Would like to see if their responses are statistically significantly different from XSEDE. Would also like to see how they compare to each other over time. - Lorna will follow up.
- Decision Making: are there differences in L3 areas or across sites? Will discuss with Ops L2/3 managers
- Support & Belonging: Same as above (more info and need to discuss)
- Lorna offered to attend L2/3 meetings to discuss results and answer real time questions if helpful for
- Actions being taken by RAS
- Continuing to engage team in bi-weekly, quarterly and annually to address direction and expectations for RAS.
- RAS annual planning meeting popular for face to face interaction. Included diversity training session from Lorna this year - will be using knowledge gained (and XSEDE expertise) in preparing XRAC recruiting materials
- Weekly RAS virtual "happy hour" for team-building. Looking at other methods to recognize team contributions
- Participating in Developer Coordination Council to improve cross-area decision making and transparency
- Ron would like more significance testing for PO results.
- Consider formally supporting the use of alternative communication tools (i.e. Zoom or Webex) that are more compatible with a variety of systems. note that zoom was used for this meeting.
- Human Resources/Funding Response
- Project Improvement Fund: Improvement already being discussed/planned for areas of submission, review, data collection, cycle time, and communication.
- XSEDE Finance portal: PY7/8 PIF request(s) will be submitted for improvements identified by user base.
- Staff evaluations: PgO is offering to lead the exploration and creation of common (i.e. project-wide) staff evaluation options for SMT's consideration.
- John T. wants a standard way to do this across the project that is light weight and seen as supplementary to local review. Karla offered to provide Ron with historical efforts/conversations around this to avoid duplication.
- Equity: This will be part of an ongoing effort across all L3 areas. It would be beneficial if activities and training suggests are provided to all L2/3 leaders for consideration. Linda akli volunteered proposing this to the Diversity Forum.