Broadening Participation will engage under-represented minority researchers from domains and institutions that are not traditional users of advanced computing. Our target audience ranges from potential users with no computational experience to computationally savvy researchers, educators, Campus Champions, and administrators that will promote change at their institutions for increased use of advanced digital services for research and teaching.
Goals, Metrics, KPIs
|# of new underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users||>100||Deepen/Extend – Extending use to new communities (§3.1.2)|
# of sustained underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users
|>1,000||Deepen/Extend – Extending use to new communities (§3.1.2)|
Longitudinal Assessment of XSEDE Inclusion &Equity via the Climate Survey
|25% Improvement||Advance – Enhance the array of technical expertise and support services|
|# of new underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users||>100|
|# of sustained underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users||>1,000|
Communication & Meetings
CEE-BP Calls are biweekly on Tuesdays @11:am eastern.
Join Skype Meeting: https://meet.illinois.edu/ncsa-meeting-manager/KGRZ63R0
Join by phone
+1 217 332 6338 (Site1-Dialin-region) English (United States)
+1 312 994 8410 (Site1-Dialin-region) English (United States)
+1 888 983 3631 (Site1-Dialin-region) English (United States)
Conference ID: 58825699
2017_01_10 Call Notes.pdf
New Staff Orientation
- Will point to the new staff orientation guide in development by training.
- Will add workshop planning, organizing webinars, and conference exhibiting checklists.
- Will add links to definitions of Under-Represented Minorities groups and institutional classifications that are being used by CEE and the external evaluation staff.
Campus Visits - PY6
- Jan 24, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez, Leadership Meeting & Technical Consulting (Akli, Alameda, & Cahill)
- Kate & Linda met with Senior Leadership to discuss curriculum and the potential for a consortium approach to address issues.
- Jay Alameda met with researchers and provided consulting support:
- Dr. Guillermo Araya , Computational Fluid Dynamics: Previous user with an allocation request submitted to the March XRAC. Has access to blue waters for teaching a course and Interested in attending PEARC17.
- Dr. Dorothy Bollman, Mathematics: Current user with installation and environment issues self-installing Pycud in home directory, Jay submitting a ticket to request that Pycuda be installed initially on stampede and subsequently on all GPU systems.
- Dr. Edgar Acuna, Mathematics: Edgar is a previous user of XSEDE resources but wants to now engage as a big data user using Python and Spark. Jay recommended submitting a startup for comet, wrangler and bridges with ECSS support.
- TBD, American University
- TBD, Bowie State University
- TBD, Howard University
- TBD, James Madison University
- TBD, University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)
2017 Conference Participation
- Mar 2 - 4, Emerging Researchers National Conference in STEM, Washington, DC
- Sep 20 - 23, ACM Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing, Atlanta, GA
- Oct 4 - 6, Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, Orlando, FL
- Oct 19 - 21, SACNAS, The National Diversity in STEM Conference, Salt Lake City, UT
Diversity Forum Establishment
Workshops - PY6
- Oct - Nov 2016, UPRM Graduate Student Wednesday Afternoon Webinar Series
- Nov 2 - Python Part I Antonio Gomez (TACC)
- Nov 9 - Intro to Linux, Part II, Daniel Lucio (NICS)
- Nov 30 - Python Part II Antonio Gómez (TACC)
- Dec 7 - R, David Walling (TACC)
- Logistics: Ana Gonzalez (Campus Champion), promoted, obtained lab room, took attendance, onsite proctor
- Logistics - Marquez Bland (TACC) set up the XSEDE Zoom conferencing for the event. This appeared to work well.
- Logistics - John Holly (SURA) managed registration, provided sign-in sheets to Ana, and monitored the sessions
- Logistics - Jay Alameda (NCSA) coordinated resource access
- Evaluation: Attendees registered through the portal and attendance marked in the portal
- Evaluation: Only a small number of surveys completed. Need to identify how to get a better completion rate for webinars.
- Mar 30 - Apr 1 2017, Southern University and A&M College, Multi-Day Workshop & Leadership Meeting
- Planning team Akli, Alameda, Cahill, Holly, Rivera, Rachel Vincent-Finley (Campus Champion)
- Pre-event survey opened Jan 17, 2016 and will close mid-February.
- Weekly planning calls are held Fridays at 10am eastern on the CEE-BP Skype number starting February 3rd.
- May 2 - 4 2017, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS, Multi-Day Workshop & Leadership Meeting
- Planning team: Akli, Alameda, Cahill, Holly, Rivera, Carmen Wright (Campus Champion)
- Pre-event survey opened Sep 8, 2016 and completed.
- Bi-weekly planning calls are held Thursdays at 2pm eastern on the CEE-BP Skype number starting February 9th.