|Time||Duration||Item w/ Notes (presentation materials linked)||Lead|
|11:10 AM||30 mins|
Project Level Topics
- Thank you to XAB members for attending and for your input. Appreciation for engagement of members.
- NSF has forward funded XSEDE 2.0 through ~Feb 2021
- project end date Aug 2021
- require spending authorization annually
- based on strong reviews, reports we've provided
- Interactions with Program Director are good.
- not required to have a mid-year review this year
- use of KPIs has been an effective way to communicate status/progress of project
- Strategic planning session held Oct. 2
- assess alignment of our stakeholders (stakeholders defined broadly as user community, partners (SPs), staff, funding agencies, etc.) with strategic goals
- identify stakeholder priorities, priority areas for draft transition plan, priorities beyond XSEDE 2.0
- Stakeholder priorities (must haves):
- Access to research computing
- Infrastructure services supporting the ecosystem
- Workforce development
- Campus champions and campus engagement
- Advanced user support
- How to define role of XSEDE in addressing gaps/ how XSEDE is involved
- Providing leadership role
- Collaborating with larger community
- When you think about how to address gaps, think in strategic terms.
- Beyond XSEDE 2.0 scenarios
- Fund single awardee for similar services at ~$75M/5 years (labor cost)
- What are most critical services we provide. Consider what could be eliminated
- Fund multiple awardees
- Expanded scope for each component: i.e., RAS might be expanded to provide support for other allocations processes.
- As resources are retired, could impact whether there would be anything like XSEDE at that point.
- Albert: Asking us to define vision for future?
- JT: This will point out key things that need to be continued, we don't know what NSF will do with that. Timing is odd. Decisions will come in next 4-6 mos. Our transition plan wouldn't get to them until later. Should we deliver earlier?
- Albert: initiatives under 5-10 new ideas initiative. Multi messenger astronomy. Exploring computing resources to support this.
- JT: Participating in workshop next week that will address this. Not sure what XSEDE's role might be. Also a timing issue. Services XSEDE provides could be leveraged, but challenges in how we put together partnership
- NSF Discussions: Conversation with Manish Parashar re. where NSF is going, how we can provide input to the process
- Would like John to come to NSF to brainstorm with him and others at NSF about what should happen next. Encouraged that they're willing to hear John's input, what he sees as priorities, what's working & what's not... Expect to see community workshops to get community input as well. Manish should be at NSF through discussion phase and award phase.
- John is planning what he'll take to that meeting, topics.
|11:40 AM||20 mins|
- Staff climate study (inward looking study of what XSEDE is like as a workplace)
- Trend of increasing scores from 2013 baseline scores
- Highest gains in wiki & website, communication tools, decision making
- Leadership/management training was a common request
- Cliff: You have learned elements of what helps a virtual org be successful. Important to share this with NSF and the community in general. Value of study of how you can improve organization through climate studies.
- Lizanne: NSF invited us to speak at large facilities workshop about this.
- John: Don't see NSF recognizing contributions we're making. How do we incorporate this information into NSF planning processes? Particularly when they're thinking about what the next thing looks like. Don't want them to get lost in discrete services needed and forget that they have to be offered in concert.
- User survey (annual survey about how users feels about XSEDE; how aware they are; how satisfied they are)
- Awareness slightly down from 2017. 25% of users are new to XSEDE every year, so this is common.
- Always need to work to get word out about our services
- Awareness highest among center non-research staff, center research staff, high school users, HPC centers, MIS, EPSCOR state institutions.
- Satisfaction remains high (4.28 on 5-point scale)
- Highest among high school, government lab, faculty/PI users, minority-serving and teaching focused institutions.
- Survey continually evolving
- Importance of XSEDE resources to your research remains high
- Recommendations: More and faster.
- Randy: Numbers are extraordinary, esp since XSEDE doesn't have control over resources themselves.
- John: Many in community don't understand difference between XSEDE & SPs
- Cliff: Can XSEDE make argument that by existence of XSEDE they've enabled long term challenges to be more effectively addressed?
- Lizanne: Large % of people who use XSEDE training materials don't have an allocation. SPs don't have to provide training for these things.
|12:00 PM||20 mins|
Program Office Topics
|12:20 PM||30 mins|
|12:50 PM||10 mins||Break|| |
|1:00 PM||30 mins|
|1:30 PM||30 mins|
|2:00 PM||30 mins|
Phil Blood &
|2:30 PM||30 mins|
|3:00 PM|| ||Adjourn|| |