Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - January 4, 2018
  • (1/4) Karla - end of January is the end of a quarter. February 1st begins IPR5 and due 2/15. Then will move into PY8 Planning through the Quarterly Meeting draft due to XAB 4/10 (meet 4/17). Starting May write RY2 annual report
  • (1/18) Karla - IPR5 is coming up and due 2/15 to NSF. Monday 1/22 email will go out, so work with your area PM. Risk review also underway, see email from Kandace. Planning will begin immediately after reporting. Will write mid-year review panel response document as well.
    • (1/18) John - Bob hopes to get us the document by 1/19; might be good to get that done early to prevent overlap
  • (2/1) Karla - IPR 5 begins today, work with your PM. 100% of risks reviewed. PY8 planning email coming soon.
  • (2/15) Karla - IPR w/John and should be submitted soon. PY8 Planning is next in preparation for the Quarterly presentations
  • (2/15) Lizanne - ACTION meeting with John needed
  • (3/1) Ron - detailed update at the Quarterly. Updated 5% template for Planning slides
  • (3/29) Karla - PY8 Planning Process in motion in preparation for the XAB meeting. Also getting feedback from SPF and UAC
  • (4/20) Karla - XAB reviewing PY8 Plan; feedback due 4/20. April 30th is the end of the quarter and May 1st begins reporting; email with details going out 4/23. Final report due May 17th.
    • Ron - on the PY8 plan, the SPF providing feedback; when should we expect that? 
    • J Ray or Shawn Strande - ACTION provide feedback to Karla; Sergiu will ping J Ray as well
  • (5/10) Karla - John reviewing report now. On target for NSF submission ahead of the deadline.

Discussion:

  • (5/24) Ron - report has been submitted to NSF, next we will prepare for review
  • (5/24) John - challenging as a transitional report may have caused confusion. Would like to have a discussion after the review of what the reports should look like going forward, differently than IPRs and what we currently have. Will need to be approved by Bob Chadduck. Appreciate everyone's effort creating a readable report for NSF>

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need


3. NSF Panel Review (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (5/10) John emailed a draft of his thoughts on an alternate agenda for the NSF Panel Review.
    • Ron - Lizanne thought there should be an Evaluation topic for 15-20 minutes

Discussion:

  • (5/24) Panel Review wikipage
  • (5/24) Update from John on: schedule, scope and agenda
    • Schedule
      • Review of draft slides at June Quarterly (June 6th)
      • Draft Slides due to NSF on Fri. June 8th
      • Dry-Run will be Mon. June 11 starting at 1pm ET
      • Review Day 1 (presentations) - Tue. June 12, 8:50 am - 5:00 pm
        • Panel questions received by 7:00 pm
      • Review Day 2 (draft response review & closing) - Wed. June 13, 8:45 am - 12:00 pm
        • Finalize responses to Panel questions
      • Review Day 3 (draft executive summary) - Thur. June 14, 2:45 pm
    • Scope - Period of Performance
      • RY2 (May 1, 2017 - April 30, 2018) for accomplishments and metrics
      • PY8 (Sept. 1, 2018 - Aug. 31, 2019) for plans for upcoming year
    • Agenda
      • Towns - 60 mins: Opening Remarks (overview, RY2 accomplishments highlights, PY3 plan highlights)

      • Towns - 60 mins: Community Impact & Science Use Cases

      • Towns - 15 mins: Project Governance & Trends A (Project leadership, organizational structure, governance)

      • Payne - 15 mins: Project Governance & Trends B (Project Performance Management & Execution, budget & schedule)
      • Hart - 15 mins: Project Governance & Trends C (trends the XSEDE 2.0 Project is observing in the community)
      • Gaither - 75 mins: Parallel 1a - CEE
      • Peterson/Lifka - 75 mins: Parallel 1b – Ops & XCI
      • Wiklins-Diehr - 60 mins: Parallel 2a - ECSS
      • Hart - 60 mins: Parallel 2b - RAS
      • Payne - 10 mins: PgO highlights
      • Williamson - 10 mins: ER communications
      • DeStefano - 10 mins: User Survey results & trends
      • Towns - 15 mins: Closing Remarks
    • Other
      • Slide Template (PPT) emailed Tue. May 22nd, and on the wikipage
      • On-Site personnel: 
        • L1 (1), L2s (8), Non-L2 presenters (2), Sr. PM, Coord (1), PM (1), SPF (1), UAC (remote?) (Totals 14 w/o UAC) 
        • L2 Deputies at the discretion of the L2s
      • Impact stories (limited to XSEDE2 or more long-tail)
    • Disucssion
      • Kelly - we should point out trends
      • John - reporting on accomplishments
      • Dave L - fine line between what we've done before the past year and the past year
      • John - it is up to Bob to run the review; if anyone gets in that situation and I don't stand up to address it, look at me and I will get the message and ask if it is out of scope
      • Nancy - slide templates mention PY7
      • John - only refer to RY2 and PY8
      • Ron - will be updating the template including the budget tables and send along; watch for it early next week
      • Phil - showing impact and how it often happens outside of the year we did the work. Is it fair to talk about the impact that has happened that we've done previously?
      • John - great question, gets at the heart of previous reviews and whether or not we take credit. We could use them as examples for impact rather than reporting on the work that was done in another year...but using the previous work as evidence to support that impact
      • Dave H - legitimate RY2 occurence, we should report on it
      • John - after the review happens, he has a discussion with DGA to say that XSEDE has done well during the period of performance and have a plan for the upcoming year to get funding authorization. DGA wants to make sure the reporting is on the agreed-upon reporting period. RYs vs. PYs and the Cooperative Agreement...not stated explicitly there, but they ratified a Project Execution Plan and the dates are stated explicitly. He would rather us talk about PY3 not PY8, but we use that other language in the PEP and it is part of the agreement. Panelists are not as concerned about precise date ranges, because they take a broader and longer-term view. Be judicious yet include relevant topics. I can deal with it after the review if Bob takes issue.
      • John - science stories time frames should be both most-recent year and longer-term successes. I will do this where Ralph used to. Impact of the Campus Champions program as a long-term investment that is fundamentally changing the community. Don't always fit in the context of RY2 and should have examples from all L2 areas.
      • Ron - could we decide stories the 2nd day of quarterly?
      • John - would be good to have exchanges with ER to get sorted out next week, before the quarterly; renamed it to Science Case and Community Impacts. Consistent with what we've been hearing from reviews lately. ACTION all L2s send John and Ron 2-3 stories about broader impacts in the community by Wednesday, May 30th
        • Campus Champions
        • Cybersecurity
      • John - some of these stories might be worth writing up in greater detail, PSAs about broader impacts, and the role in the community
      • Ron - Bob will request a draft of the responses the morning of the 2nd day followed by a final version the morning of the 3rd day
      • John - will be done with the panel on Wednesday and will need folks to complete homework before leaving; suggest late flights. Thursday they will share the executive summary and you are welcome

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:

  • ACTION all L2s send John and Ron 2-3 stories about broader impacts in the community by Wednesday, May 30th

4. June Quarterly Meeting (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (5/24) Added to agenda

Discussion:

  • Submit agenda topics ASAP
  • Agenda will be drafted and posted to wiki on Tue. May 29, 2018
    • Day 1 will be review of draft Panel Review slides
    • Day 2 will be other quarterly meeting topics

Decisions:

  • note


Status updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - last time in DC met with Manish Parashar and had a very good conversation. Sensitive to looking long term. Interested and supportive of XSEDE.
    • Dave L - rush for workshop was based on strategic spend
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Sergiu) - Bob and Phil on the line who will be taking over. ESCC alternate communication methods. Skills surveys to match people to projects. Review prep.
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - Craig and Dave L tag team on review 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - Dave, Craig, and Greg should sync up on session for the annual review in Washington next week; GDPR discussions and should tag someone on the project – Adam – could also talk about at the SPF
    • Sergiu - will you create a document as a statement from XSEDE
    • Greg - acceptable use policy may need to be updated
    • Dave L - how many have appointed a privacy officer?
      • U of I
      • IU but scope not defined
    • Victor working on images for roles of the service providers
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - 
    • Work in progress Resource Selector – https://portal.xsede.org/test-resource
    • XSEDE ORCID membership in final stages
      • Sergiu - brief intro and timeline at quarterly? What does the user have to do?
      • Dave - by August quarterly would have a better update
    • XRAS now being paid for by NCAR, service agreement in place!
    • XDCDB-AWS deployment plan being developed
    • XDCDB deployment plan in place for a transition to AWS
      • Ron - would would be the cost forecast for data transfer?
      • Dave - would be best to test for a month to see between test and production instance
    • Shawn - reminding users of XSEDE publications in portal ACTION Dave
      • Dave - XRAS now requires users post publications. ORCID will hopefully also help as they link automatically
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura) - 
  • SP Forum (Shawn) - requested via survey that they keep biweekly meeting with the option to cancel; May 31st will be cancelled
  • UAC (Emre) - will meet next in the fall. New members for UAC from Bob ACTION John will look at it again
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) - 
  • NSF (Bob) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • Quarterly - June 6-7, 2018
  • SMT - June 21, 2018

 

  • No labels