Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

Discussion:  

  • IPR17 is getting wrapped up. Thank you all for your efforts and getting your inputs in on time.

Decisions: 


3. Upcoming XAB activity (John Towns  ) 

Previously:

  • (2/10) Added to agenda

Discussion:  

  • February 16, 2022 (1-hour Zoom call): any topics?
    • Cancelling next week.
  • April 13, 2022-moving to one-hour Zoom call (not in-person)
    • Typically review program plan for next year, but don't have that this year. No substantive topics to warrant having a full day in-person meeting (unless ACCESS awards are announced by then)
  • Remaining meetings: Friday, August 5 and Friday, June 24 (one-hour Zoom calls)
  • Recognition of XAB member contributions?
    • Might do something at PEARC or SC. More will likely be at SC than PEARC. Would be nice to bring them in front of staff meeting at PEARC to recognize in front of full staff.
    • Invite anyone who has ever been on the XAB back through XSEDE1.
    • Prefer to incorporate into staff meeting or something similar instead of having dedicated event. 
    • Could ask Lisa for her thoughts. 

Decisions: 

  • Cancelling next week's XAB call
  • Moving April to one-hour Zoom call instead of in-person

4. Update on Terminology Task Force (Linda Akli

Previously:

  • (2/10) Added to agenda

Discussion:  

  • Scheduling SiteBulb training now–plan to have it soon.
  • Planning to submit panel proposal at PEARC22.
  • Have a page where they can post info re. SiteBulb. Want to post on wiki–Linda to send to Leslie so it can be linked on the wiki under Project Execution. 
  • https://inclusivenaming.org/ has industry & others involved. Should an XSEDE rep participate with this? Have word lists, resources, etc. No fee required. Can have someone from task force participate. 
    • SMT please review and be prepared to share you thoughts at the next meeting. 
  • If there are requests for topics to have the task force cover at the QM, let Linda know. 
  • Could task force compile a report prior to end of XSEDE that includes all info to post in IDEALS since the website won't last forever. 
    • Linda agrees this is a good idea. Planning this.
    • Likely other areas of the project that have internal reports they should write to put into IDEALS. Brainstorming session at QM to share ideas re. potential reports and get feedback. Leslie will put a session on the agenda. 
      • Pieces of final report will also be released separately and can be posted in IDEALS. What all are things we want to release in this way? 

Decisions: 


5. XSEDE wrap-up session at PEARC (Robert Sinkovits  ) 

Previously:

  • (2/10) Added to agenda

Discussion:  

  • This could be a BoF or a panel where we address questions and concerns that the community has regarding the conclusion of PEARC and transition to ACCESS. 
  • Tabitha/Shava leading conversation within PEARC22 committee in their role on the tech program committee.
  • Note that ECSS is considering a separate panel dealing specifically with ECSS.

Decisions: 

  • Tim willing to take the lead on requesting this. Bob happy to be involved.  


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

      • Status update on significant activities
      • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Working on no cost extension request. Plan to submit early next week.
    • Covid plan for QM:
      • Omicron surge is a bit further behind in AZ than east coast/midwest. 
      • Currently planning masking/social distancing required
      • Some states lifting masking/distancing mandates, so will watch that 
         
  • Deputy Director (Tim) -

    • No update

  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Received email from Julie re. PEARC22. Asking to divert $40K of CEE funds to PEARC student program/travel. 
      • CEE doesn't have funds available. All participant support funds are accounted for. 
      • Concerned about how it would be implemented
      • Concerned that student reg fee is the same as others
      • Trying to raise funds to help students with financial hardship
      • They are putting in NSF proposal but behind the curve on that. This request is coming very late. 
      • Hackathon has decided not to colocate at PEARC because they understand colocation is not welcome. This is an element of industry that supports students. 
      • Last time XSEDE contributed funds for students was under XSEDE1 award. 
      • Kelly will respond to this and copy John
         
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    • All hands meeting yesterday
    • Need to integrate ECSS specifically into overall transition comms plan. Need to connect with Dina about this (Ron to connect them). Consultants talking 1-1 with projects they support, but having a general statement to the community (worded very carefully) will be helpful. "Our interpretation of the ACCESS solicitations indicates that ECSS would not continue..." Can't represent what NSF would award or what any potential submitter might've included in their proposal.  
       
  • XCI (Dave L/Tabitha/Shava) -

    • In XSEDE1 in interviews with campus bridging folks, documented that researchers need to synch data between campus clusters and XSEDE automatically. Documented as formal use case at beginning of XSEDE2 & Globus just released it. Included as highlight in this IPR.    
      • How to find out details about this? Will be included in next XSEDE newsletter. Posted on XSEDE site. Timers feature on Globus site. 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -
    • All services running as expected
    • Some staff working on PEARC papers
    • Continuing discussions on lessons learned
       
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -

    • NY academy of sciences using XRAS to support international science reserve initiative with IBM. Broad service to apply to other disasters like wildfires. Using XRAS to field requests/review as they come in. March pilot planned. Ruth has info in case any SPs are interested in participated.

    • 1st in person XRAC meeting in 2 years coming up in March

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira) 
    • Planning session at QM re. finances/spend plan
    • BusOps team working to talk to subs that are showing discrepancies re. over/under spend to ensure our accounting is correct and everyone is on same page. 

  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  Nothing of note to report. Ookami folks will present at the next meeting. 

  • UAC (Emre) -   
    • No update 
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

    Next Meeting:    February 24, 2022

  • No labels