Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - July 15, 2021
  • (8/12) Working on IPR15 this week. Thank you to everyone for your efforts. There are a few outstanding comments/questions for CEE, ECSS, RAS that need addressed. Please work with your area PM to get these resolved. 
  • (8/26) IPR15 submitted on time last week. Thank you all for your efforts. Enjoy the break until November & IPR16!
  • (9/23) No reporting until November. 
    • Reminder to pull together your + 5% wish lists by Wednesday, Sept. 29.
  • (10/7) Final report recommendation shared with Bob & Al
    • Fine with most of it. Reword anything re. no-cost extension as that is not approved 
    • Getting eval folks together to discuss 
    • Plan to finalize by December QM so it can be submitted to NSF
  • (11/4) IPR16 inputs are all due to your area project manager TODAY.  

Discussion:  

Decisions: 


3. Final Report Planning Status (John Towns ) 

Previously:

  • (11/4) Added to agenda

Discussion: 

  • First part reports on everything through end of operations (metrics, etc.). John provided an outline previously.
  • Part 2 to include longitudinal studies and other analysis of the project. 
    • This analysis will take longer than the initial 4 months proposed. Still determining the timeline for this. Possibly March/April 2023
    • John asked for Bob's feedback on this. Bob is on-board with our plan and supportive of no-cost extension. He thinks it is important that we tell our story as we feel we should.
    • Research.gov only allows you to submit one final report. Part 1 will then likely go in as an annual report. Part 2 will be submitted as the final report. 
    • Want to release people from project so they can move on, but want to do the final report well. 
    • Lessons learned written by December but submitted with final report in 2023
    • Bob S: concern that report is normally due 90 days after completion, conflicts with other proposals in review.
      • Assumption we submit no cost extension request for one year. Can always finish early.
    • Dave H: Are there parts we could finish even earlier, publish as doc in IDEALS, and reference that in final report. i.e., trends analysis. 
      • If we were to provide that info to NSF, there is nothing that prevents us from reporting on it again in a subsequent report. So yes, could publish components earlier and then reference/include in final report. 
      • Data trends, lessons learned could be useful to community as separate documents
      • People should consider what is a realistic timeframe for them to complete the parts they're responsible for and what effort will be needed as we'll need to build a no cost extension budget.
    • Ruth: Great to hear that Bob is supportive. Community interested in lessons learned and value-add of investments of what NSF is providing to the community. Important to note that no-cost extension doesn't mean other work will continue–will be used to produce the report.
    • Linda: LS on impact of BP with marginalized communities. No cost extension won't help me unless Lizanne & team can get the info they need from us prior to Aug. 2022 because there isn't budget to continue past that. 
      • Great if things can be done by end of August. 
      • We can use unspent funds to cover necessary time to complete this work. 
      • BP team already working on lessons learned/documentation

Decisions: 


4. In-person Quarterly Meetings in 2022 (John Towns ) 

Previously:

  • (11/4) Added to agenda

Discussion: 

  • Ken planning in-person XRAC meetings for 2022 & asking about QMs. 
  • Would like to have in-person QMs in March and August. August would allow us time to wrap things up/work on final reporting. 
    • CEE is looking at things starting to be in person in March 2022
    • May/June may be safer
    • May know something about ACCESS awards in June
    • Some places have proof of vaccination requirements, so should keep this in mind.  
    • Could consider all three (March, June, August). Don't want to travel unnecessarily, but in-person meetings tend to be more productive
    • Could have some drop off by August. 
    • August would focus on project wrap-up and reporting. 
    • Look at locations with low-COVID/good vaccination rates
    • Concern about ability to pay any cancellation fees with grant funds. Ron is checking on policies around this with UIUC SPA office. 

Decisions: 

  • Plan on March, June, August in-person QMs with option to cancel if needed. 

5. +5% funding requests (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (10/7) Added to agenda
    • CEE thought about 5% collectively. Kelly will go in and add numbers/info. 
    • Any of these will need to pass muster for "why do this in the last year of the project." Need good justification. Make sure it has impact beyond life of award.
    • Estimates for salaries based on average "loaded" salary. 
    • Need to do analysis re. how the totals stack up against available funds. 
    • Need to finalize numbers/info. Provide next level of detail (answer questions etc.) for next SMT meeting (prior to Oct. 21). 

Discussion: 

  • All voting members should cast votes in the spreadsheet by end of day tomorrow
  • Need to estimate cost of no-cost extension. Hope to have final confirmation from eval team on budget by next week. 
  • Should have updated version of spend plan by next week. Waiting for one plan to be returned. 

Decisions: 



Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

      • Status update on significant activities
      • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    •    
  • Deputy Director (Tim) -



  • CEE (Kelly) - 

    •  
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    •  

  • XCI (Dave L/Tabitha/Shava) -

    •   
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -

    •  
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -



  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  

    • Next meeting is 11/11; Per Mary T, UCSD takes Veterans Day as a holiday - do others? Plan now is to continue as scheduled, with Fluid Numerics (will strongly remind that THIS IS NOT A SALES OPPORTUNITY) presenting
  • UAC (Emre) -   
    •  

  • NSF (Bob C) - 

    Next Meeting:    

    • No meeting November 18 due to SC21.  

    • Next meeting: December 2, 2021 

  • No labels