Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - January 4, 2018
  • (1/4) Karla - end of January is the end of a quarter. February 1st begins IPR5 and due 2/15. Then will move into PY8 Planning through the Quarterly Meeting draft due to XAB 4/10 (meet 4/17). Starting May write RY2 annual report

Discussion:

  • (1/18) Karla - IPR5 is coming up and due 2/15 to NSF. Monday 1/22 email will go out, so work with your area PM. Risk review also underway, see email from Kandace. Planning will begin immediately after reporting. Will write mid-year review panel response document as well.
    • (1/18) John - Bob hopes to get us the document by 1/19; might be good to get that done early to prevent overlap

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

3. XSEDE2 Mid-Year Review (John Towns)

Previously:

  • (1/8) John - Jan 11-12 in Alexandria
  • Observe review as first with Bob Chadduck
  • Assign owner of 3 discussion topic areas ACTION Laura move to wiki
    • Onboarding - Nancy
    • Cybersecurity - Adam; other operational topics - Greg
    • KPIs and Metrics review - Ron introduction and overview of process; driven by evaluation processes - Lizanne
  • One more SMT on 11/9, then Thanksgiving, then Quarterly, then holidays
  • Small group meeting with John (Laura requested from Amber)
  • Present metrics review findings at the December review and then transition during at PY8
  • Dave L - collecting metrics immediately to see if they collect what we want them to
  • (11/9) John: Bob C. has asked for more information on split-funded staff members (staff partially funded by and XSEDE and other externally funded projects). Objective is to show the benifet of sharing knowledge to and from XSEDE. This will be shared during the mid-year review in Jan. and then in more detail during the June panel review.
  • (12/20) On-site names sent to NSF for security preparation; Per Bob, we should allow additional time to get through security. There are instances of it taking one hour to get through security with a pre-scheduled appointment.
  • (12/20) wiki is updated with latest agenda from NSF and dry-run schedule
  • (12/20) we expect to receive the names of the panel members as well as the remote coordinates, sometime during the first week in Jan.; Panel names/bios will be posted on the wiki, remote coordinates will be sent to appropriate XSEDE staff members via email.
  • (12/20) Pre-review materials, due to NSF by 1/4, to include draft of presentation slides, SP Forum letter regarding onboarding topic
  • (12/21) Ron - wiki updated with all information to date; as more information becomes available it will be on the wiki. Remote coordinates will not be posted but sent to those who should tune in
  • (12/21) John - KPIs and metrics status before the review w/SP&E team and Bob. Slides should be ready for run-through on 1/4
  • (12/21) Greg - cybersecurity down to 30 minutes
  • Added in schedule and finance update; took away from security and KPIs
  • Target 20 minutes to talk and 10 minutes to answer questions
  • Nancy down to an hour
  • (1/4) Ron - reviewed slides earlier today. Will have remote connectivity for the dry run on Wednesday. NSF is setting up the coordinates for the review on Thursday. Please see additional information on the wiki page. Watch for panelists next week and a logistics email later today. Draft slides due to NSF at the end of the day today. 
  • (1/4) ACTION for Kelly, Nancy, Dave H, and Greg–Ron sent email w/budget and execution of the 3 topical areas for your feedback
    • Nancy - ECSS staff on new projects
    • Dave - a lot of work goes into onboarding

Discussion:

  • (1/18) Final version of responses to Panel questions due today EOD.
  • John - thank you everyone. Gratifying yet depressing that the team can function with out me.
  • John - via observation, there were a number of problems with the way the review was conducted and expressed this to Bob who did not object. These issues will be communicated formally to Bob via a letter that is expected to get to him by tomorrow.
  • John - anticipating panel report by 1/18; will need timeline for completion
  • Craig - glad you raised issues with Bob; glad Bob's reaction was such
  • Kelly - a lot of panelists were not brought up-to-speed on project and dominated the review
  • Sergiu - Bob is also new. It would have been nice to have an introduction
  • Kelly - delineation between SPs and XSEDE. Before next review, turn that into graphic and hand it out ACTION Ron
  • John - I thought that a few of these things reflected poorly on the project and shouldn't have because they didn't know. Bob assured me that we were in very good standing after this review
  • Dave - keep the responses lightweight in the spirit of the intended review
  • John - asked for clear and specific guidance on the level of response
  • Greg - John, you were missed. Bad vibes from Irene on incident a year ago
  • Nancy - bothered by the digital humanities comment. Ron did a great job for his first time.
  • John - my style is different and managing the panel can be tricky
  • Greg - managing the program officers and the panel
  • Kelly - the feeling in the room was different than the questions we received

Decisions:

Actions:

  • Delineation between SPs and XSEDE. Before next review, turn that into graphic and hand it out ACTION Ron


4. XSEDE2 Knowledge Base (Craig Stewart)

Previously:

  • (10/26) Sergiu - What is the status of the XSEDE Knowledge base, https://portal.xsede.org/knowledge-base ? Is it still being maintained, ensuring that all information therein is up to date and does not contradict the content of information presented by other forms of XSEDE documentation?
  • (10/26) Maytal - The knowledge base is managed/run by IU. It was part of XSEDE2 that no longer got funded but it was my understanding that IU wanted to continue to maintain the KB even without funding. Our contacts for IU regarding KB have traditionally been Paul Brown padbrown@iu.edu and Chuck Aikman caikman@iu.edu so they are the right people to talk to regarding updating of KB. We just pull the information from the KB we don’t handle the detailed articles. 
  • (10/26) Laura - Ron manages Project Documents which is a wiki page linked from the About tab on the website. Several project managers are able to load documents into IDEALS as well.
  • (10/26) Sergiu - ticket system and front-line interaction, users who read knowledge base articles conflicting. Missing references to XStream. Changes in XSEDE documentation and how that gets propogated to knowledgebase articles.
  • (10/26) John - re-affirmation that Indiana would like to do this. Don't recall this was a problem previously? Is there a process that is now broken? How was it done in the past?
  • (10/26) Craig - will verify that with IU team. None of that team is seeking updates. Need to change the pipeline. They used to get information by solicitation. ACTION: Craig will verify charity work on the condition that they receive information ready for KB. Create a process for contribution to KB
  • (10/26) John - different than the way we did it before, so need to put process into place. Could be part of SP onboarding process as well. Have to isolate where information has been coming from: SP, XOC monitoring for content, others.
  • (10/26) Sergiu - delete articles that are no longer pertinent or out-of-date
  • (11/9) Topic not discussed on call.
  • (12/21) Sergiu - question is whether or not the team at IU wish to continue service and if they are what is the mechanism. Reminded Craig of his action: Craig will verify charity work on the condition that they receive information ready for KB. Create a process for contribution to KB. Need to understand the scope of it to keep it managemeble; define who then should be involved

Discussion:

  • (1/4) will await responses from either Craig or Sergiu
  • (1/18) Sergiu - should remove obsolete pages; determine if they continue and establish a pipeline through XSEDE; ACTION Ron follow up with Craig

Decisions:


Actions:

  • Craig will verify charity work on the condition that they receive information ready for KB. Create a process for contribution to KB
  • SMT will need to understand the scope of it to keep it managemeble; define who then should be involved



5. New XSEDE KPI Set (Lizanne DeStefanoRon Payne

Previously:

  • Last SMT review (Dec. 2017) resulted in follow-up items that needed to be addressed prior to approving the new KPI set

Discussion:

  • (1/18) All open action items from Quarterly meeting review have been addressed and closed.
  • (1/18) Discussion about approving new KPI set
  • Karla - please send KPI set for review

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:




Status updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - IHPCSS funding for 2018 consideration to rebudget project funds or identify other funds. Discussing options with PRACE that we could use to support
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Sergiu) - efforts to get workplans and final reports in timely. Reinvigorating ECSS awareness. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - call 1/19 for survey questions
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - review, IPR, quarterly prep. Central services logging. Data transfer services and where headed. Data sharing and privacy policy work
    • Victor - doing security audits each year for a subset of services. Someone outside of security look at website would be welcome and preventing a reviewer find
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - XRAC deadline on Monday. 
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura) - 
    • ER is looking at expanding the Annual XSEDE Highlights book to include workforce development, outreach, etc. to show the broader impact of XSEDE. Working towards releasing the next edition prior to the June NSF review.
    • BusOps will be reaching out to sub-awards that have had budget changes since the first PY7 amendment, for updated budget paperwork.
    • Reminder: Record improvements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in portal
  • SP Forum (J Ray) - 
  • UAC (Emre) - UREP voting
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) - 
  • NSF (Bob) - 

Next Meeting:  February 1, 2018

  • No labels