Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)


1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl


  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - July 15, 2021
  • (8/12) Working on IPR15 this week. Thank you to everyone for your efforts. There are a few outstanding comments/questions for CEE, ECSS, RAS that need addressed. Please work with your area PM to get these resolved. 


  • IPR15 submitted on time last week. Thank you all for your efforts. Enjoy the break until November & IPR16! 


3. Updated Spend Plan (Ron Payne


  • (8/12) Added to agenda


  • XSEDE Spend Plan - August 2021
  • If we follow the spend that the subs have planned, project will come out with an underspend of ~$3.4M. Most subs historically underspending. If changes aren't made that balance will grow. 
  • Budget amendments in process for PY11. If funds need to be reallocated across subs that is an onerous process. 
    • Hope is that SMT can agree on where we would like the majority of the underspend to be utilized. Goes faster if we have a grouping of 5-6 amendments that need to be done at once. 
  • Crap-shoot determining if we can open travel, if conferences will be in-person, etc. That has been the biggest impact on CEE budgets. Even SC is doubtful at this point. Not sure we'll be able to spend travel funds. 
    • TACC is not allowing much travel this fall. Hope it will open up in spring. 
    • Conferences tend to be in the fall. Most are going virtual. Impacts staff travel and participant support, so this needs to be taken into consideration. 
    • John & Tim have put a bug in Bob's ear that we may have excess funds due to travel bans and may use those staff funds for participant support for student participation in events next year. Lion's share of events will happen after project ends. Would need to work/heavily promote to have enough students to reach that number.  
    • Currently showing $288K underspend in PS. That is about 144 students (estimate $2K/student when going to PEARC/SC). 
  • Things we don't know now that we will hopefully know in the next 6-8 months that could impact. Awarding of ACCESS awards could impact decisions about using funds for no-cost extension to ensure adequate transition from XSEDE to ACCESS. 
  • Will continue to lose staff as we come closer to end of award
  • Seems to make most sense to find ways to be flexible with the funds. 
  • Will continue to discuss this in more depth at the quarterly meeting next week. 


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

      • Status update on significant activities
      • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Asked Bob about final report guidance. Hope to have guidance by end of calendar year so we can build into planning. Suspect it will take some time to compile. Want to incorporate results from longitudinal studies & others to demonstrate impact of the project. 
  • Deputy Director (Tim) -

    • Tim reviews invoices closely. When subs aren't keeping up with their spend plan, we need to have an agreement on how we proceed. Considering 1-1 with subs monthly (or whatever timeframe is best) or could discuss during SMTs. Like to hear thoughts/preferences. 
      • Linda prefers emails first so she can explain to others first and gather the necessary info. 
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Terminology task force training with SP Forum was lively. Had some challenges to some of the work. One of SPF attendees challenged research/history on one of the terms. Overall very good conversation. Having these conversations allows us to move the needle. Team plans to revisit the list to be sure the main terms are those used in our industry. Figuring out how to present other non-industry terms. 
      • Intent is to understand that the message you intend and what is received don't always match. They will receive based on their personal experience. Reworking opening/intro to include this intention would be helpful.  
      • Team is planning to create a video that can be shared as part of staff onboarding
    • Great Adv Computing for social change workshop. Really taking hold & looking to plan more workshops. A lot of rethinking we need to do for this fall given COVID.  
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    • No update
  • XCI (Dave L/Tabitha/Shava) -

    • No update  

  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -
    • No update   
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -

    • Next XRAC meeting is Monday. About 200 requests to look at. 

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  

    • Discussing possible meeting topics for the last year of XSEDE. 
    • Took pulse at last meeting of whether we might continue to meet as a SP organization through transition from XSEDE to ACCESS. Currently waiting to see when NSF announces ACCESS awardees and plan to offer this to them. Not sure if we need to make Bob/NSF aware of our offer to continue. 
  • UAC (Emre) -   
    • Had UAC meeting. Group agreed to continue to offer services during transition to ACCESS. Not sure what the best next move is... wait for awardees to be announced or inform Bob/NSF in formal letter of plans. 
      • Nothing specific in transition plan about this. SPF & UAC not funded by XSEDE, so somewhat of free agents to decide on this. Assume advisory functions will continue to be valued, but don't know what will happen or whether proposals included similar types of groups. If both groups willing, suggest informing Bob & Al of the offer so they can inform awardees as they are announced. This could help to provide continuity. 
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

    Next Meeting:     SMT - September 9, 2021 

  • No labels