Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - July 20, 2017
  • (7/6) - IPR3 is due August 17th which means that text will be due to Project Managers on August 7th. The recommendation is that L3s should have their text to their PMs on the 2nd. This also means that L2s and L3s will need to be watching their email for questions on August 14th. Expect to see an email from Leslie Morsek the last week of July.
  • (7/6) - A risk review will begin the week of July 17th. Kandace (though JIRA) will be contacting all risk owners to review their risks where they will have to interact JIRA and their risks to mark them as being reviewed. She will be sending out documentation on how to do this with her email. All risk owners have JIRA accounts; they are the same as your Confluence wiki account and you can use your portal credentials to log in.
  • (7/20) Quarterly Risk Review underway. 
  • (8/3) Karla - currently in reporting cycle. Text due to Project Managers. Text in main google doc by 8/8. Due to NSF on 8/18. 100% compliance with Risk review. NSF panel response due to NSF 8/25
  • (8/17) Final stages of report. one outstanding item from XCI before submitting. Report will be submitted today.
  • (9/28) Karla - PY7 Plan and report accepted. Next report during SC. Risk review starts 10/16. Watch for emails and work with your PM to stay updated.
  • (10/12) Next IPR due 11/15; schedule being sent by Leslie M on Mon (10/16)
  • (10/12) Risk review starting on Mon. email coming from Kandace 
  • (10/26) Karla - IPR 4 email went out due 11/14, see emails from Leslie M. Risk review underway as well, see emails from Kandace
  • (11/9) IPR4 is on-track for release to John tomorrow (11/10)
  • (12/21) Ron - schedule for next IPR at the first of the new year

Discussion:

  • (1/4) Karla - end of January is the end of a quarter. February 1st begins IPR5 and due 2/15. Then will move into PY8 Planning through the Quarterly Meeting draft due to XAB 4/10 (meet 4/17). Starting May write RY2 annual report

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

3. XSEDE2 Mid-Year Review (John Towns)

Previously:

  • John - Jan 11-12 in Alexandria
  • Observe review as first with Bob Chadduck
  • Assign owner of 3 discussion topic areas ACTION Laura move to wiki
    • Onboarding - Nancy
    • Cybersecurity - Adam; other operational topics - Greg
    • KPIs and Metrics review - Ron introduction and overview of process; driven by evaluation processes - Lizanne
  • One more SMT on 11/9, then Thanksgiving, then Quarterly, then holidays
  • Small group meeting with John (Laura requested from Amber)
  • Present metrics review findings at the December review and then transition during at PY8
  • Dave L - collecting metrics immediately to see if they collect what we want them to
  • (11/9) John: Bob C. has asked for more information on split-funded staff members (staff partially funded by and XSEDE and other externally funded projects). Objective is to show the benifet of sharing knowledge to and from XSEDE. This will be shared during the mid-year review in Jan. and then in more detail during the June panel review.
  • (12/20) On-site names sent to NSF for security preparation; Per Bob, we should allow additional time to get through security. There are instances of it taking one hour to get through security with a pre-scheduled appointment.
  • (12/20) wiki is updated with latest agenda from NSF and dry-run schedule
  • (12/20) we expect to receive the names of the panel members as well as the remote coordinates, sometime during the first week in Jan.; Panel names/bios will be posted on the wiki, remote coordinates will be sent to appropriate XSEDE staff members via email.
  • (12/20) Pre-review materials, due to NSF by 1/4, to include draft of presentation slides, SP Forum letter regarding onboarding topic
  • (12/21) Ron - wiki updated with all information to date; as more information becomes available it will be on the wiki. Remote coordinates will not be posted but sent to those who should tune in
  • (12/21) John - KPIs and metrics status before the review w/SP&E team and Bob. Slides should be ready for run-through on 1/4
  • (12/21) Greg - cybersecurity down to 30 minutes
    • Added in schedule and finance update; took away from security and KPIs
    • Target 20 minutes to talk and 10 minutes to answer questions
    • Nancy down to an hour

Discussion:

  • (1/4) Ron - reviewed slides earlier today. Will have remote connectivity for the dry run on Wednesday. NSF is setting up the coordinates for the review on Thursday. Please see additional information on the wiki page. Watch for panelists next week and a logistics email later today. Draft slides due to NSF at the end of the day today. 
  • (1/4) ACTION for Kelly, Nancy, Dave H, and Greg–Ron sent email w/budget and execution of the 3 topical areas for your feedback
    • Nancy - ECSS staff on new projects
    • Dave - a lot of work goes into onboarding

Decisions:

Actions:

  • (1/4) ACTION for Kelly, Nancy, Dave H, and Greg–Ron sent email w/budget and execution of the 3 topical areas for your feedback


4. XSEDE2 Knowledge Base (Craig Stewart)

Previously:

  • (10/26) Sergiu - What is the status of the XSEDE Knowledge base, https://portal.xsede.org/knowledge-base ? Is it still being maintained, ensuring that all information therein is up to date and does not contradict the content of information presented by other forms of XSEDE documentation?
  • (10/26) Maytal - The knowledge base is managed/run by IU. It was part of XSEDE2 that no longer got funded but it was my understanding that IU wanted to continue to maintain the KB even without funding. Our contacts for IU regarding KB have traditionally been Paul Brown padbrown@iu.edu and Chuck Aikman caikman@iu.edu so they are the right people to talk to regarding updating of KB. We just pull the information from the KB we don’t handle the detailed articles. 
  • (10/26) Laura - Ron manages Project Documents which is a wiki page linked from the About tab on the website. Several project managers are able to load documents into IDEALS as well.
  • (10/26) Sergiu - ticket system and front-line interaction, users who read knowledge base articles conflicting. Missing references to XStream. Changes in XSEDE documentation and how that gets propogated to knowledgebase articles.
  • (10/26) John - re-affirmation that Indiana would like to do this. Don't recall this was a problem previously? Is there a process that is now broken? How was it done in the past?
  • (10/26) Craig - will verify that with IU team. None of that team is seeking updates. Need to change the pipeline. They used to get information by solicitation. ACTION: Craig will verify charity work on the condition that they receive information ready for KB. Create a process for contribution to KB
  • (10/26) John - different than the way we did it before, so need to put process into place. Could be part of SP onboarding process as well. Have to isolate where information has been coming from: SP, XOC monitoring for content, others.
  • (10/26) Sergiu - delete articles that are no longer pertinent or out-of-date
  • (11/9) Topic not discussed on call.
  • (12/21) Sergiu - question is whether or not the team at IU wish to continue service and if they are what is the mechanism. Reminded Craig of his action: Craig will verify charity work on the condition that they receive information ready for KB. Create a process for contribution to KB. Need to understand the scope of it to keep it managemeble; define who then should be involved

Discussion:

  • (1/4) will await

Decisions:


Actions:

  • Craig will verify charity work on the condition that they receive information ready for KB. Create a process for contribution to KB
  • SMT will need to understand the scope of it to keep it managemeble; define who then should be involved


5. XSEDE Acceptable Use Policy (David Hart)

Previously:

  • (12/7) Email from Dave forwarded to SMT (including a proposed revision); Current XSEDE AUP: https://portal.xsede.org/web/xup/usage-policy ; SMT discussion topics:
    • Aside from some dated process descriptions, the current version is very heavily (almost exclusively) focused on usage of SP resources via allocations. The three sections start with
      • "All XSEDE service provider sites have..." 
      • "When XSEDE approves your request for resources, ..." 
      • "By using resources associated with an XSEDE allocation, ..."
    • XSEDE needs an AUP that clearly and distinctly applies to _both_ XSEDE-managed services (XUP, XRAS, Globus, SSO Hub, training, and so on...) _and_ SP resources.
    • RAS is working with a new XRAS client that will be having users request XSEDE identities in order to submit allocation requests (for allocations and resources not managed via XSEDE). That client is rightly noting that its users will be befuddled by the existing AUP.
  • (12/21) Dave - see above. Outcomes or consequences added as well. Merging accounts for example. 
  • (12/21) Emre - changes seem reasonable
  • (12/21) Greg - curious if Gateways see any issues; otherwise reasonable. Will get feedback from Security
  • (12/21) Nancy - reasonable; expanded from a Gateways PI standpoint different from an SP point-of-view–could fold into the Gateway registration process

Discussion:

  • (1/4) Dave - table this until further notice
  • (1/4) Greg - just got feedback and will discuss with Adam and Dave at the review

Decisions:


Actions: 



Status updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - IRIS partnership for impact analysis. NASA partnership call as well; Marlon will represent ECSS
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Sergiu) - JIRA training to all ECSS staff going very well. Raising the visibility of ECSS through hit rates and higher-viewed pages and possibly revamping allocation request area to make things more visible. Bringing in additional ESCCers at TACC and IU through the PIF; what is the timeline for notifying the team?
    • Ron - if the PIF approved, the Business Office will include those in the 2nd round ammendments that will go out in late January or early February depending on when NSF authorizes the additional spend. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - Victor updated the SP checklist; will publish in IDEALS once final
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - centralized logging with more services. SSO hub should be deployed this week. Privacy Policy. Review prep.
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - user re-verification process for allocations
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura) -
  • SP Forum (Dan) - J Ray will be the new chair; Shawn Strande new Vice Chair. Dan will stay active through the Review and then let J Ray lead
  • UAC (Emre) - 
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) - 
  • NSF (Bob) - 

Next Meeting:  January 18, 2018

  • No labels