Broadening Participation will engage under-represented minority researchers from domains and institutions that are not traditional users of advanced computing. Our target audience ranges from potential users with no computational experience to computationally savvy researchers, educators, Campus Champions, and administrators that will promote change at their institutions for increased use of advanced digital services for research and teaching.
Goals, Metrics, KPIs
|# of new underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users||>100||Deepen/Extend – Extending use to new communities (§3.1.2)|
# of sustained underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users
|>1,000||Deepen/Extend – Extending use to new communities (§3.1.2)|
Longitudinal Assessment of XSEDE Inclusion &Equity via the Climate Survey
|25% Improvement||Advance – Enhance the array of technical expertise and support services|
|# of new underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users||>100|
|# of sustained underrepresented individuals (women and racial/ethnic minorities) users||>1,000|
|John Holly||SURA||Admin Supportemail@example.com|
Communication & Meetings
CEE-BP Calls are biweekly on Tuesdays @11:am eastern..........................................................................................................................................
Want to test your video connection?
New Staff Orientation
- Will point to the new staff orientation guide in development by training.
- Will add workshop planning, organizing webinars, and conference exhibiting checklists.
- Under-Represented Minority, Institution Classifications, and Data Sets
- The Carnegie ClassificationTM has been the leading framework for recognizing and describing institutional diversity in U.S. higher education for the past four and a half decades. http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/downloads.php
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering 2017 Report https://nsf.gov/statistics/2017/nsf17310/digest/introduction/
Campus Visits - PY6
- Jan 24, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez, Leadership Meeting & Technical Consulting (Akli, Alameda, & Cahill)
- Kate & Linda met with Senior Leadership to discuss curriculum and the potential for a consortium approach to address issues. XSEDE-Akli_Cahill_01_2017_UPRM.pdf
- Jay Alameda met with researchers and provided consulting support:
- Dr. Guillermo Araya , Computational Fluid Dynamics: Previous user with an allocation request submitted to the March XRAC. Has access to blue waters for teaching a course and Interested in attending PEARC17.
- Dr. Dorothy Bollman, Mathematics: Current user with installation and environment issues self-installing Pycud in home directory, Jay submitting a ticket to request that Pycuda be installed initially on stampede and subsequently on all GPU systems.
- Dr. Edgar Acuna, Mathematics: Edgar is a previous user of XSEDE resources but wants to now engage as a big data user using Python and Spark. Jay recommended submitting a startup for comet, wrangler and bridges with ECSS support.
- Feb 16, James Madison, Conference Call with Yasmeen Shorish, Data Services Coordinator, Assoc. Professor and Mr. Ben Delp, Director of Research Development and Promotion
- Call set up by Yvonne Harris, Ph.D., Vice Provost, Research and Scholarship, Division of Academic Affairs who was unable to attend call due to illness
- Presented an abbreviated XSEDE Overview What is XSEDE-Akli_02_2017_JMU.pdf
- Referral to Education Program (Kate Cahill) for additional discussion of curriculum, competencies
- Referral to Campus Engagement (Dana Brunson) for campus champions information.
- Since the call, JMU is planning on appointing a campus champion then will begin to develop a plan for training and possible XSEDE awareness events.
- There is one JMU power user who has been using resources managed by TeraGrid and XSEDE.
- Mar 22, George Mason University
- Meeting with Jayshree Sarma, Interim Director, Research Computing and XSEDE Campus Champion
- Referral to XSEDE Education: Interest in how to expand Computational and Data Science curriculum at William and Mary, Old Dominion University, George Mason and several of the other smaller institutions.
- Referral to Campus Engagement and Student Programs: Jayshree would also like to offer HPC boot camps for students on her campus. Also participates in a VA consortium that might be interested in a presentation on the XSEDE Education Program. Consortium includes:
- Referral to PEARC17 Website: Interest in students participating in the conference. Some concern about the requirement for partial funding from a student's institution will be a barrier for GMU students.
- Due to the location of GMU and the surrounding population, GMU serves a diverse population including women. Suggested that approaching campus broadening participation programs or centers to make sure XSEDE information about student programs is distributed in a way to reach everyone. CEE-BP and CEE-Campus Engagement can work together to develop strategies and possible events.
- To be Scheduled:
- Bethune Cookman,Daytona Beach, FL
- Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD
- Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL
- Bethune Cookman,Daytona Beach, FL
2017 Conference Participation
- Mar 2 - 4, Emerging Researchers National Conference in STEM, Washington, DC
- Vetria Byrd of Purdue participated with CEE-BP in staffing the XSEDE table and filled in for Linda Akli (who was double booked at that time with research oral presentations) in the professional development workshop
- Marques Bland of TACC participated in staffing the XSEDE table
- Linda Akli was a "head" judge for undergraduate computer science oral presentations
- Over 60student contacts were made, reconnected with Tuskegee faculty who would like an XSEDE visit
- The panel with the author of Hidden Figures, keynote talks were also exceptionally inspiring
- May 18 - 19, South Carolina State University, NSF’s regional partnership program Workshop
- Referral from Jim Bottum via Scott Lathrop
- Jill Gemmill also indicated some researchers with advanced computing needs at Claflin will be in attendance and asked if I could provide consulting and assist them in submitting startup requests
- Awaiting further information
- Sep 20 - 23, ACM Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing, Atlanta, GA
- Oct 4 - 6, Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, Orlando, FL
- Oct 19 - 21, SACNAS, The National Diversity in STEM Conference, Salt Lake City, UT
Diversity Forum Establishment
- Updates to be added
Workshops - PY6
- Oct - Nov 2016, UPRM Graduate Student Wednesday Afternoon Webinar Series
- Nov 2 - Python Part I Antonio Gomez (TACC)
- Nov 9 - Intro to Linux, Part II, Daniel Lucio (NICS)
- Nov 30 - Python Part II Antonio Gómez (TACC)
- Dec 7 - R, David Walling (TACC)
- Logistics: Ana Gonzalez (Campus Champion), promoted, obtained lab room, took attendance, onsite proctor
- Logistics - Marquez Bland (TACC) set up the XSEDE Zoom conferencing for the event. This appeared to work well.
- Logistics - John Holly (SURA) managed registration, provided sign-in sheets to Ana, and monitored the sessions
- Logistics - Jay Alameda (NCSA) coordinated resource access
- Evaluation: Attendees registered through the portal and attendance marked in the portal
- Evaluation: Only a small number of surveys completed. Need to identify how to get a better completion rate for webinars.
- Mar 31 - Apr 1 2017, Southern University and A&M College, Multi-Day Workshop & Leadership Meeting
- Planning team Akli, Alameda, Cahill, Holly, Rivera, Rachel Vincent-Finley (Campus Champion)
- Pre-event survey opened Jan 17, 2016 and closed February 15.
- Registration is over 30 participants and based on the campus culture could have significant number of walk ins.
- Senior Leadership meetings are scheduled for Thursday, Mar 31. Linda and Kate will present along with Rachel Vincent-Finley, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Sciences and Engineering and Campus Champion.
- Event agenda
- May 2 - 4 2017, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS, Multi-Day Workshop & Leadership Meeting
- Planning team: Akli, Alameda, Cahill, Holly, Rivera, Carmen Wright (Campus Champion)
- Pre-event survey opened Sep 8, 2016 and completed.
- Registration opened March 21st.
- Bi-weekly planning calls are held Thursdays at 2pm eastern on the CEE-BP Skype number starting February 9th.