Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - April 9, 2020
  • (4/23) RY4 annual reporting will begin on May 1. 
      • Tuesday 5/5/2020: L3 text due to PMs; PMs give L3 text to L2s

      • Thursday 5/7/2020: All L2 text (including L3 text) due to PMs

    • Supplement doc
      • Holly working on prelim budget (should have it tomorrow)
        • Can repurpose unspent funds for year 6 (e.g., participant support funds)
        • Need to project funds we can't spend due to COVID-19 crisis
      • Should have draft to John early next week for his review.
      • All subaward partners so far have indicated interest in participating an additional year. 

Discussion:

    • All text due to your PM TODAY for the annual report. Please get your inputs in today to keep us on schedule!

Decisions:

 

3. New NSF Service Provider Resources  (Victor Hazlewood) 

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Victor got email from PSC about Bridges2. He will be talking with them soon. He needs a contact from SDSC to do the same for Expanse. Bob suggests that he starts with Shawn Strande. 
  • Others continue to slowly work through the process. 
  • Anita Schwartz sent letter to Ron. He received it and is reviewing it (moving from L3 to L2). Ron will send to SMT after he reviews.
  • OSN has been approved as L2. Want to do public data sets & have way to discover those. JP's team will need to be engaged for software listings. Found issue on xsede.org for software. 2 links under same name. Need to figure this out. 
  • Ookami has initial test platform arriving this week. Call scheduled for week of May 25 to get their process going. Need letters/dates from them.
  • DISCO: Victor meeting with them today. Need letters/dates from them.  
  • Tom Furlani now at Roswell. Partnership on web page still has him listed so that likely needs to be updated. 

Decisions:


4. XDCDB and production server access policy (David Hart ) 

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - April 9, 2020
  • (4/23) Have identified places like new science gateway are hitting database & addressing that. 
    • Need update from Victor Hazlewoodre. where things stand with the policy.
      • Recommended updates for XSEDE security baseline document. Need info from David Hartre. whether more is needed.

Discussion:

  • Dave needs to connect with Victor to see what next steps are. 

Decisions:


5. Approval of Field of Sciences Hierarchy (David Hart Nathan Tolbert) 

Previously:

  • (4/23) Added to agenda
    • Proposed FOS hierarchy presented to UAC, SP Forum and XRAC. No concerns or suggestions noted.
    • Minor changes to hierarchy originally presented included in the attached to adjust subfields of Computer and Information Sciences
      • Renamed "Information Science and Informatics" to "Informatics, Analytics, and Information Science"
      • Added "Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Systems" to cover three old FOS areas and ensure AI and related work has a suitable home.
    • A3M is working with current SPs to ensure this change won't cause downstream issues, and is ready to push forward on this change.
    • Does this map back to NSF? Yes we have a mapping that maps from this back to NSF directorates. 
    • Proposed hierarchy is attached (see "Revised FOS Final" sheet).
    • SMT to review/comment on list provided by Dave by May 7. Plan to vote to approve at May 7, 2020 SMT meeting. 

Discussion:

  • Ready to put into place pending SMT approval. John feels it is in good shape. Can make adjustments down the road as needed. Approved. 

Decisions:

6. XSEDE events at virtual PEARC20 (David Hart) 

Previously:

  • (5/7) Added to agenda
    • Hold XSEDE all-hands, ECSS staff meeting at an alternate time. 
    • Campus champions fellows presentations are preferred to be held during PEARC20. 
    • CaRCC townhall wants to be held during PEARC20.
    • Concern about cramming too much into a virtual conference/Zoom fatigue. Separate day of a couple events that might attract an audience.

Discussion:

  • Advanced computing for social change: proposing having this the week before PEARC & pay registration for participants to attend PEARC20 sessions. 
    • Concern about session where students get exposure for all the work they've done. Like for them to be able to do presentations at conference. Experience of presenting in front of wider audience is valuable. 
    • Potentially record longer session prior to the event and show a lightning type presentation (about 1 min each)?
    • CEE team needs to give this more thought and determine whether being colocated in the virtual setting has any value.  
  • Linda to raise this with Dana & Henry about campus champions. 
  • Could talk to hackathon group about their student presentations as well. 
  • Need to think about what people are able to do given that many may still be working from home. 
  • Could call it PEARC20 community day but separate from conference. 
  • PEARC registration fee will be $100 for regular attendees and $50 for students with an opportunity to request support if needed. 

Decisions:

  • XSEDE all-staff and ECSS training can definitely be held at an alternate time. 

7. XSEDE PY11 Proposal Status (Ron Payne ) 

Previously:

  • (5/7) Sub-award supporting documents status email sent to SMT
    • Documents received by 5/6/2020: Chicago, Cornell, GA Tech, Internet2, NICS, OSC, Oklahoma, Purdue, SDSC, & SURA.
    • Awaiting documents from:

      InstitutionStatus of PY11 Sub-Award Docs
      IndianaETA: TBD
      NCARRepurpose COVID-19 (travel->FTE) in PY9 questions
      PSCXRAC f2f vs virtual questions
      ShodorETA: 5/8/2020
      TACCETA: 5/8/2020
      USC/ISIETA: after 5/15/2020

Discussion:

  • Approach is to try to forecast what underspend we'll have because of COVID-19 in PY9. Took budget we have now, add in institutions year over year inflator to determine PY11 budget. That puts us over the $22M threshold. Reduced ask amount by the estimate of the unspent funds due to COVID, which got us to ~$21.5M. Once budget is approved, we'll go back and request the ability to spend underspend in PY11. 
    • Linda: all PY9 travel already spent. There will be PS funds. Activities that can't be supported unless funds become available should be removed from SOW. But don't throw them away because later we'll go back and ask to reprogram the funds to PY11. 
      • Funds can't be completely zeroed out because still paying registration fees. 
    • EMPOWER: includes some staff funding as some PS funding for students. If staffing $ is still there, articulate oversight/coordination in the text. Anticipate having project funds available to support students. 
    • What if no carryover? Can ask for some PS if needed. Reducing PS as we're able. 
    • Spend down plan that was requested assumed project would end at PY10–how to end PY10 at net zero. 
    • If I have $100K in carryover in PY9, do I add that to budget? Trying to not open can of worms on how you'll incorporate carryover into PY11. Trying to take carryover out of picture for now to just get the budget submitted. Just took underspend as a result of COVID out of PY11 to get it under the $22M
    • Craig: took number we sent for COVID19, turned in budget for PY11 that matches the number they were sent and have a separate operating budget that includes the COVID19 amount. Cut budget in one area to preserve Tonia on longitudinal studies. Will ultimately need text about activities to be supported by reprogrammed funds to submit to them. NSF will need a complete plan in the end that accounts for all of the money. 
    • Kelly: What to say about PS that was expected? 
      • Understand what your PY11 plan will be and told PS funds needed for that. Track unspent PS in PY9 that can be put towards PY11. That should let you figure out how much you still need to ask for. Text in supplement should request what will be done on funds being asked for. And say "anticipate following approval of this, there will be funds available from program budget that can be reprogrammed into year 11 to support these activities." 
      • SOW only includes what will happen with funds being asked for.
      • When we get close to end of PY10, will budgets be renegotiated to have travel support put back in them based on what we've actually spent? Reduced amount goes into supplement request. If you don't fully spend PS in PY9, subtract that from PY11 ask. Once supplement approved & project has a PY11, then we can request to reprogram funds into that year. Can't do that until the year exists in the project. Will make formal request to reprogram underspend into PY11 to make everyone whole. 
      • Ron, Katie, Kelly to sit down to look at numbers to make sure there is agreement. 
    • Dave: Don't understand where you came up with the numbers. 
      • Projection was generated for what was expected to be unspent in PY9. Projection sent to them doesn't match with their expectation
      • Need iteration between business office & subs in consultation with L2s to determine correct numbers. 
      • Goal is to make everyone whole for PY11. Structural hurdles we need to jump to get there. 
      • Ron to look at numbers again and get back to Dave. 
    • PSC: XRAC. Assumption made that from mid March to end of August there will be no travel. This would mean June & August XRACs would be virtual, so no staff travel or PS for these. Seemed like 3 meetings were cut instead of 2. Looking at some expenditures for honoraria. Also assumed no travel for August quarterly meeting, PEARC.
      • Only $50K for PS in PY11. Ron to look at this  
    • USC can't start working on this until after 5/15. John & Ron to discuss offline. 

Decisions:

  • Ron Payne to look back at numbers and follow up with TACC, SURA, PSC, NCAR, Shodor.

Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • John sent doc describing general approach we're taking to the supplement ask to Bob so he can circulate around NSF to grease the skids. Included comment that impacts to project due to COVID19 pandemic will not result in supplemental ask from the project. 
    • Concerned we may miss some metric targets because staff has been reallocated to work on COVID related activities. Asked Bob if we can count those efforts toward metrics. He is checking on this. Minimally we should say we've missed target because staff was redirected to covid19 efforts. 
    • COVID19 HPC consortium efforts continue. Thanks to RAS & UII teams. We are shining in this effort & Manish shared his appreciation at ACCI meeting last week. Feeling greater support for XSEDE as a result. We are being afforded latitude by NSF because they know we're doing good stuff. 
  • Tim
    • No update
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • No update 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) - 
    • John: as projects come through COVID HPC consortium to XSEDE, if more ECSS support is needed for genomics support in particular, NCSA has a team who is willing to provide ECSS-style support.  John to provide contact info to Bob/Phil. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
    • Making progress getting software loaded into repository. 

    • Poster paper in review at PEARC on ROI of years 4-8. ROI is about 1.5 not counting value of outputs of XSEDE. 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -   
    • Victor scheduling meeting with RAS, Gary, security to add to XES standard a section on accounts to cover issue we had with database. 
    • Globus: discussion not closed yet. 
    • Liferay: Ron to make sure in the budget. 
    • NICS can pay for DUO out of unspent funds. That frees up funds in PY11 for something else. John: appreciate the initiative and willingness to spend your funds on a project need.
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) - 
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira) 
    • NSF Review: Dry run Monday, June 8. Review June 9-11. (No info from NSF yet, but will likely be online.)
      • Starting working on agenda. 9-3 ET on June 9-10. 
      • Dry run to start at noon ET on Monday
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  
    • No update

  • UAC (Emre) -  No  update
  • NSF (Bob C) - No update


Next Meeting:     SMT - May 21, 2020 


  • No labels