Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

Discussion:

  • RY4 annual reporting will begin on May 1. 
    • Tuesday 5/5/2020: L3 text due to PMs; PMs give L3 text to L2s

    • Thursday 5/7/2020: All L2 text (including L3 text) due to PMs

  • Supplement doc
    • Holly working on prelim budget (should have it tomorrow)
      • Can repurpose unspent funds for year 6 (e.g., participant support funds)
      • Need to project funds we can't spend due to COVID-19 crisis
    • Should have draft to John early next week for his review.
    • All subaward partners so far have indicated interest in participating an additional year. 

Decisions:

 

3. New NSF Service Provider Resources  (Victor Hazlewood) 

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Deleware shipping/receiving shut down so they can't receive any equipment, which is creating some delays. 
  • Good progress with Ookami. 
  • Haven't heard from Johns Hopkins

Working with Alex 

Decisions:


4. XDCDB and production server access policy (David Hart ) 

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Have identified places like new science gateway are hitting database & addressing that. 
  • Need update from Victor Hazlewoodre. where things stand with the policy.
    • Recommended updates for XSEDE security baseline document. Need info from David Hartre. whether more is needed.

Decisions:

5. Approval of Field of Sciences Hierarchy (David Hart Nathan Tolbert) 

Previously:

  • (4/23) Added to agenda
    • Proposed FOS hierarchy presented to UAC, SP Forum and XRAC. No concerns or suggestions noted.
    • Minor changes to hierarchy originally presented included in the attached to adjust subfields of Computer and Information Sciences
      • Renamed "Information Science and Informatics" to "Informatics, Analytics, and Information Science"
      • Added "Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Systems" to cover three old FOS areas and ensure AI and related work has a suitable home.
    • A3M is working with current SPs to ensure this change won't cause downstream issues, and is ready to push forward on this change.
    • Proposed hierarchy is attached (see "Revised FOS Final" sheet).
    • SMT to review/comment on list provided by Dave by May 7. Plan to vote to approve at May 7, 2020 SMT meeting. 

Discussion:

  • Does this map back to NSF? Yes we have a mapping that maps from this back to NSF directorates. 

Decisions:


6. Participant Support Funds (Ron Payne) 

Previously:

  • (4/23) Added to agenda
    • From Bob Sinkovits: Can we have a discussion about participant support funds? In particular, can we use them for participant support activities other than those originally proposed and what do we need to do to get approval?. 

Discussion:

  • Can repurpose PS funds from this year to PY6. Don't need to come up with clever ways to spend down those funds this year. This will allow us to stay within the 20% for salaries and other things in PY6. 

Decisions:


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    •  Conversation with Bob focused mostly on supplement request. He requested a 1-2 page summary of how we're approaching this, how we're addressing some budget issues, etc. He wants to have this approved in this fiscal year. 
    • Ron has been collecting financial impacts of COVID-19 effort. Want to be sure all work done on XSEDE funds is tracked to assess financial impact on XSEDE. 
      • Kelly Pierce (NIP) is doing work. 
      • Expect we'll be asked to provide a monthly update on this going forward.
      • Victor: someone added a person with some effort under Ops. Victor & the L3 manager are unaware of what that person is doing related to COVID-19. 
  • Tim
    • Contingency planning for XSEDE: if any change to operational status, please be sure to let us know. Haven't heard that any XSEDE institutions are discussing possible furloughs, etc., but if anything of that nature occurs we need to know. 
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Advanced computing for social change & SPICE will be virtual. Looking at possibly offering a stipend for participation to encourage & engage participants. 
    • No decision yet on computing4change at SC. 
    • Held a virtual training last weekend with students. Interesting results with how people show up & use the technology. 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) - 
    • Working on more complete list of what we've published as an ECSS team to get into the report.
    • Campus champion fellows: recruiting next back of fellows shortly. Thank you to Rich Knepper & Kate Cahill for being a mentor. Will do a fellows session at virtual PEARC20. Will schedule this so John can participate and mail plaques ahead of time. 
    • ECSS symposium: metric of 300 attendees/year (30/mo). Lately have been having large numbers. 136 attendees this week.  
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
    • No update 

  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Have been busy with XAB prep, supplement, etc.  
    • Working with Alex to come up with process for erasing users who want removed from database. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) - 
    • Ken has been busy with reviewing COVID-19 requests
    • Working on getting Zoom set up for remote June XRAC meeting.
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira) 
      • Watch for new recommendations after April XAB meeting!
    • Risk review is underway. Update by April 30. 
    • NSF Review: Dry run Monday, June 8. Review June 9-11. (No info from NSF yet, but will likely be online.)
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  
    • No update

  • UAC (Emre) -  
    • No update
  • NSF (Bob C) - No update


Next Meeting:     SMT - May 7, 2020 


  • No labels