Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - May 9, 2019
  • (5/23) Annual Report was submitted on time last Friday. We continue to improve with this process. Testament to the entire team. This is the most significant document we produce every year. 
    • 100% compliance on the risk review again. 
  • (6/20) Email with due dates for August report will be coming out in mid-July. Please try to get your information to your PMs on time!
  • (7/18) See email from Noni Ledford (new PM) for reporting due dates: All text due to your PM by Aug. 8. 
  • (8/12) Thank you to everyone for getting your IPR9 content in to your PMs on time! Final report due 8/22
  • (8/29) IPR9 submitted on time. Is now available in IDEALS and on the Reporting page in the wiki. IPR10 will be due in November. More  coming on that later. 
  • (10/10) Compiling IPR10 will begin in 3 short weeks. 
    • Note that L3 text is due to PMs by Monday, 11/4. L2 text is due by Wednesday 11/6. Please work with your teams to ensure these deadlines are met.
  • (10/24) Will begin working on IPR10 next Friday. L3 text is due to PMs by Monday, 11/4. L2 text is due by Wednesday 11/6. 
  • (10/24) Suggesting language to be added to each L2 area of the report was sent out on Monday. If you haven't already responded to Leslie confirming that this language is good or requesting changes, please do so by tomorrow. 

Discussion:

Decisions:

 

3. Licensing for XSEDE software (David Hart) 

Previously:

  • (6/20) Added to agenda.  
  • (6/20) Email from Dave H: 

    I checked the current XSEDE github repo (github.com/xsede) and XCI has been applying the MIT license (which appears to be a reasonable choice per Dan, Svetlana and others), but with copyright assigned to XSEDE (which I believe isn't appropriate).

    The last email from Svetlana follows.

    I think we need to codify XSEDE's licensing approach and apply it consistently. This would be good to have decided before we start implementing a future "transition plan".

  • (7/18) Tabling this topic until the next call.
  • (8/15) Need to be discussed separately, legal guidance starts with Illinois, do developers have an opinion whether this is the right license? Need to create a new policy. Dave will follow up with Ron on the next steps.
  • (10/10 Dave sent Ron the info. Ron is trying to find someone at NCSA to help with this and then will have a call with that person and Dave to move this forward. 

Discussion:

  • Ron talked to Dan Katz at NCSA. Recommend to copyright under UIUC as representative of XSEDE project and list partners. Ron sent this to campus for feedback on copyright. Waiting for response. 
    • Sites have right to assert copyright on original works per subaward agreements. This won't take that away. 
    • May want to ask what other sites want to do. Don't want to open can of worms. 
    • Software is all destined to be open source anyway. 
    • Ron is checking cooperative agreement to be sure copyrights aren't listed.
  • Dave is looking at the licensing side of things. Dave reached out to local legal counsel for options. 

Decisions:

  • Proceed with recommendation to pursue copyright by UIUC as rep of XSEDE project with partners listed. 

4. Update on PRACE-RIST-XSEDE allocations process. (Ron Payne ) 

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Progress on partnership: 
    • Agreement to use XRAS for any allocations requests for partnership
    • Created instance for partnership. 
    • Detailed info being collected from PRACE & RIST to finalize & configure tool the proper way, get resources into RDR, etc. 
  • John talked to SP Forum & XSEDE service providers about being involved in partnership.
  • Finalizing call itself to go out. All 3 groups have reviewed & approved. 
  • Would be helpful for PRACE & RIST to state who is responsible person for them & can respond quickly. Ron has requested this information. 
  • Will portal accounts be created by their users? 
    • They can submit as guest or with a portal account. PRACE & RIST users will not have to set up a portal account. Administrative person would need a portal account. 

Decisions:


5. Update on XSEDE's use of Cision communications software (Boswell Hutson) 

Previously:

  • (10/24) Added to agenda.  

Discussion:

  • Have been using for a couple months
  • Media tracking software (social media analytics, media coverage through variety of sources) & database for journalists 
  • Displays social media analytics graphically in easy way to understand
  • Great for tracking media hits–much better than using Google analytics. Catching many more of these
  • Prioritizes media sources and assigns dollar value to media coverage. Helps us compare publications to better understand how much reach a post has in various sources, which helps us better prioritize where to send stories. 
    • HPCWire doesn't have as far a reach as Science Daily, so we are now sure to submit stories to Science Daily.
  • Identify lists, new journalists to target
  • Reads tone of social media posts (positive, negative, neutral). XSEDE's posts are overwhelmingly positive. 

Decisions:


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    •  No update
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) - 
    •  Focusing on getting ready for IPR10 
    • XAB presentation: will all present KPI info & response to staff survey if you have any & any other highlights from L3 areas
      • Lizanne will provide high level summary of staff survey, but if there is something specific in the surveys from your area that you want to respond to/get input on then include that. 

  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) -
    • Victor: Dave shared info to be shared on XAB call during recent meeting
    • Lucille has solicited info about participating on UREP
    • SP Forum: Victor has started conversations with 3 prospective new SPF members (Stoneybrook, DE, Open Storage Network)

  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - 
    •  Getting ready for XAB & reporting. 
    • Carman onboarded as XOC L3 mgr
    • Handed off review of acceptable use policy to Alex & Derek

  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - 
    • Ken had first quarterly training for reviewers. 35 attendees
      • Comment from BobS - about 15 ECSS'ers, who review adaptive proposals, in attendance
    • ESTEO training desired for code perf & scaling is in-hand
    • Good progress on accounting front. Working to simplify SP integration & make less burdensome. 
    • Auto-fill grant info from federal website (allows to pull from mutiple agencies-not just NSF)

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Volunteer sign-up to help in the XSEDE booth at SC19: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1smS7dCXjbelnnd-SHaPR4QBusIR1WL7nhZDjFOImWP8/edit#gid=0
    • Save the dates for XSEDE events at SC:
      • Tuesday, November 19 (10-11:30am): Joint Champions/ECSS breakfast aimed at sharing information about how XSEDE can help you with needs on your campus for training and support (Coffee & Donuts to be served)
      • Wednesday, November 20 (4-6pm): Discover More with XSEDE reception: meet with XSEDE leadership to learn more about how XSEDE can help you solve the scientific challenges you are facing (popcorn cart, snack mix, lemonade)
        • We had low participation of XSEDE leadership at this event last year. Please try to prioritize this event during your busy week at SC!
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
      • Multiple references to best practices & lessons learned in PY9 planning. Tech Report Series is a good place to publish these kinds of documents. 
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw 
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira) 
    • PIF window never closes and funds can be accepted anytime 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - 
    • No update

  • UAC (Emre) - 
    •  No update
  • NSF (Bob C) - N/A

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - November 7, 2019

  


  • No labels