PY10 - Status of Submissions
Active Improvement Idea Submissions
XSEDE ROI extension
|Multiple options allowing funding range of $163,400 - $235,000|
|PY10-02||Longitudinal studies extension||1||To be submitted ($351,509)|
Georgia Tech, Indiana
|Request is to use GA Tech unspent funds to cover ~$330K.|
PY9 - Status of Submissions
Active Improvement Idea Submissions
Duo Licenses (PY9-10)
|4||FUNDED ($88,000) Complete|
NICS - complete
|Victor pursuing including an option to extend licenses up to 6 months (through Feb. 2022) at same rate (i.e. $22K).|
|PY9-02||Integrate online textbook exercises with CCRS toolkit||1||In Review ($100,000)||TACC, Cornell||Susan has been asked to provide a more detailed budget and answer some clarifying questions. To be discussed on 1/30 SMT call.|
|PY9-03||Addition of COmanage to CILogon service.||1|
|NCSA||The request for PIF funds to cover this cost has been WITHDRAWN because unspent funds from NCSA are being used for this purchase.|
|PY9-04||XCI staffing increase||1|
|WITHDRAWN||WITHDRAWN per email from Craig Stewart on 2/3/2020: We might come back later, but it does no one any good to have stale proposals cluttering up the system when there is no money for them, and when they will necessarily be out of date by the time money might be available.|
PY8 - Status of Submissions
Active Improvement Idea Submissions
ER Market Analysis
|4||FUNDED ($10,000): Complete|
NCSA - complete
Update Applications of Parallel Computing online course
|4||FUNDED ($56,625): Advanced to Phase 4 (Execute)|
OSC - complete
|This course will be offered in spring 2019 (PY8) and spring 2020 (PY9).|
ORCID Membership Fee
|4||FUNDED ($20,197): Complete|
|NCSA - complete||PY8: 4,120 + 2,414 (F&A) = 6,534|
PY9: 4,244 + 2,486 (F&A) = 6,730
|PY8-04||ROI analysis of cyberinfrastructure systems||4||FUNDED ($704,004): Advanced to Phase 4 (Execute)||PCRPROJ-81||Indiana - complete|
This is a 2.5-year request, with funds for PY8-PY10 approved.
|PY8-05||OpenStack Toolkit||1||In Review ($100,130)|
|PY8-06||XCI-CRI Budget Adjustment||1|
Multi-year: PY8=$35,694, PY9=$139,369, PY10=$142,156
WITHDRAWN per email from Craig Stewart on 2/3/2020: We might come back later, but it does no one any good to have stale proposals cluttering up the system when there is no money for them, and when they will necessarily be out of date by the time money might be available.
|PY8-07||2019 International HPC Summer School||N/A|
FUNDED ($108,830) Complete
|NCSA - complete||PIF funds reallocated to cover 2019 IHPCSS expenses. Details in PCR.|
|PY8-08||Longitudinal studies||4||FUNDED ($15,413) (Execute)||PCRPROJ-100||Georgia Tech - complete||This was approved by the leadership team at the March 2019 quarterly meeting. PCR submitted 1/31/2020.|
|PY8-09||ECSS staff training||1||In Review ($128,970)||All|
|PY8-10||Password security for XSEDE users||1||In Review ($23,790 with overhead)|
|Equity & Belonging||4||FUNDED ($90,000 spread across PY8, PY9, PY10 at $30K per year) (Execute)||PCRPROJ-72||SURA - complete|
Funds to support Linda Akli's work for equity and inclusion across the XSEDE project.
This was approved by the leadership team at the March 2019 Quarterly Staff meeting outside of the normal PIF process.
* Status of all XSEDE sub-award amendments can be found on the Business Operations wiki page.
- Review the XSEDE Goals and remember that alignment to these goals is an important consideration given to all improvement idea submissions.
- Collect your thoughts on something that you believe would improve the XSEDE project and is aligned to the XSEDE Goals.
- Contact any L2 Director and ask them to review your improvement idea. The L2 Director that reviews your improvement idea and provides feedback, will be referred to as your "L2 Sponsor". L2 Directors have been asked to be responsive to review requests from staff members that wish to submit an improvement idea. They have also been asked to coach submitters on producing well written idea submissions.
- After receiving approval from your L2 Sponsor, submit your Improvement Idea via the online PIF Submission form. Note: L2 Sponsor approval is required for an improvement idea submission to be considered by the SMT.
- Your Improvement Idea Submission will be reviewed and added to the queue for the next Project Review Board (PRB) session. You will receive a submission confirmation email when the idea submission has been added to the PRB queue. In addition, the "Status of Submissions" section, above, will be updated to reflect the current status of the idea submission. Note: If you do not receive a response, from the Program Office, within a week, please contact Ron Payne.
PIF Related Links
Questions & Answers about the XSEDE PIF
What is the XSEDE PIF?
The XSEDE PIF is an extension of the XSEDE PY7 - PY9 annual planning and budget review process to strategically invest ~2% of the annual budget ($465K) towards short-term project improvements, specific to the XSEDE project.
How does the process work? / How are the funds allocated?
A lightweight Phase-Gate process, below, is used to facilitate the review and prioritization of proposed project improvements, by the XSEDE Senior Management Team (SMT).
How are proposed project improvements prioritized & approved?
During an XSEDE quarterly meeting, each voting member of the SMT individually rates each proposed project improvement against a fixed assessment criteria set. The ratings are compiled and the results are discussed during a Project Review Board (PRB) session. The final prioritization is set by the collective SMT. The SMT vote on each proposed project improvement, in priority order.
The assessment criteria are pending SMT approval but include stakeholder impact and alignment with XSEDE strategic goals.
When are the funds allocated?
PIF allocations occur during a primary and two secondary points in the annual project year, see image below. The primary period occurs during the March Quarterly meeting, concurrent with the review of the project plan for the upcoming project year. At this time, the majority, if not all, allocations are determined for the upcoming project year. At the conclusion of the primary allocation period, any remaining funds are allocated during one of the two secondary periods. The secondary allocation periods occur during the June and September quarterly meetings.
What about PY6 & PY10?
Who is on the Project Review Board (PRB) and what are their roles and responsibilities?
The PRB is comprised of 16 members: Senior Management Team (SMT) voting members (10), and Advisory members (6)
SMT voting members
- XSEDE PIs
- L2 Directors
- XD Service Providers Forum Chairperson
- User Advisory Committee Chairperson
Review Gate deliverables and provide assessment and/or comments prior to PRB sessions.
For each Gate deliverable, participate in the PRB discussion & reach consensus on the gate in question is passed or blocked.
Advisory members (non-voting members of PRB)
- Strategic Planning & Evaluation (SP&E) team representatives
- Project Management and Reporting (PM&R) team representative
- Review Gate deliverable submission for completeness and appropriate level of detail.
Provide advisory input on the Gate deliverables, during the PRB session, for consideration by the Deciding Members.
Who can submit an improvement idea for PRB consideration?
Any XSEDE Staff member can submit an improvement idea, after reviewing the idea details with any L2 Director. The reviewing L2 Director then becomes the "L2 Sponsor" for the improvement idea submission.