Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XAB (John Towns / Ron Payne)

Previously:

Discussion:

  • (1/5) Ron 
    • 2016 Dec 14th call focused on process NSF plans to use during the next round of re-competition of XSEDE
      • Rudi is looking into getting community input
    • Next call: 2017 Feb Call: Wed, 2/8 – 11am-12pm ET | 10-11am CT | 9-10am MT | 8-9am PT
    • John continues to follow-up with Sandra Harpole on the open XAB seat.

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

3. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

Discussion:

  • (1/5) Karla
    • IPR due 2/15 with quarter close on 1/31. Watch for emails soon for due dates for text
    • Planning will begin mid-January; inputs before March quarterly
    • PSC will provide project manager for XCI upon Janet Brown's departure. Will also need a point on UREP. ACTION Karla will send description to Ralph

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

4. XSEDE2 Wiki Discusion (Karla Gendler)

Previously:

  • (9/29) Karla - will bring policy to SMT for review. Recommendations for accounts for non-XSEDE staff
  • (10/13) Karla - will bring policy to SMT for review. Recommendations for accounts for non-XSEDE staff
  • (10/27) Karla - Janet has sent the policy doc to Maytal and JP for review; Also awaiting security audit input
  • (11/10) Karla - finalizing policy document and will come to SMT for approval. Will also have to develop JIRA and Google Drive policy documents

Discussion:

  • (1/5) Karla - finalizing policy document and will come to SMT for approval. Will also have to develop JIRA and Google Drive policy documents

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

5. XSEDE Website Redesign (Karla Gendler)

Previously:


Discussion:

  • (1/5) Maytal - Wire frames in place, need decisions from Ron and John and to understand the role of External Relations and their branding study. Initial focus is to work on the website and then move to the user portal with improved navigation, look and feel. Can do a presentation at March or June quarterly. Usability study conducted on the current website in addition to interviews; can share final report from Craig Jansen at TACC. Would be good to do another usability study 3-6 months after the new website. Craig Jansen at TACC.

Decisions:


Actions:



6. SP Forum and XSEDE Federation (Dan)

Previously:

Discussion:

  • (1/5) John - Software Institute letter to be a part of XSEDE from Nancy. MOU vs. letter of committment
  • (1/5) Dan - next meeting is next Thursday. Holding new officer elections. Document out for review: SP integration.
  • (1/5) Ron - SGCI SP application requesting XSEDE Federation and Service Provider Forum membership as a Level 2 Service Provider. 

Decisions:

 

Actions:



7. XSEDE2 Budget & Sub-Award Processing (Ron Payne)

Previously:

Discussion:

  • (1/5) Ron; item can be removed from agenda
    • 9 sub-awards signed/complete
    • 8 sub-awards under review or modifications requested
    • 1 sub-award (TACC) to be processed upon receiving supporting documentation

Decisions:

  • Topic will be removed from agenda.  Ron to report status during around-call status updates.

Actions:

 

8. Project Improvement Fund Process (Ron Payne)

Previously:

Discussion:

  • (1/5) Ron; move this item to update at end
    • Staff-wide email sent 12/9 introducing PIF wiki page and process description
    • Idea submission preparation form released to wiki on 12/16
    • Update to be sent to staff today explaining the interim submission process (sending prep form via email) until Confluence-Jira functionality is available.
    • PRB session added to the March Quarterly agenda.  All idea submissions to be sent to PRB members at one week prior to Quarterly for review.
    • Working to get EOT and PM&R members identified for PRB.  

Decisions:

  • Topic will be removed from agenda.  Ron to report status during around-call status updates.


Actions:


9. Performance Management Plan NSF Deliverable (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • (1/5) Added to agenda

Discussion:

  • (1/5) Ron 
    • XSEDE Performance Management Plan (PMP) is a NSF deliverable per the XSEDE2 PEP.  
    • Delivery date is March 1st, 2017.
    • The PMP addresses two major questions:
      1. How does the XSEDE project use KPIs and metrics to make decisions towards achieving the project's strategic goals.
      2. What are the methodology, tools and data sources used to determine the XSEDE project's impact on the research community.
    • The SP&E team is working to define:
      • a method by which the appropriate information, to address #1 above, will be collected through facilitated discussions with each L2/L3
      • how ROI will be measured for the XSEDE project
    • Calls with L2s & L3s to begin mid-to-late-Jan to collect the information to address #1 above

Decisions:

  • Topic will be removed from agenda.  Ron to report status during around-call status updates.


Actions:

 

10. Gateways and Allocations (Allocations Review Team: Dave H., Sergiu, Nancy, Ralph, Emre, Ken)

Previously:

  • (1/5) Added to agenda

Discussion:

  • (1/5) Dave Hart - From the UAC: Gateways should be exempted from the reconciliation process that cuts requests below their recommendations. The crux of the argument is that gateways have more users that suffer from those reconciliation cuts. The consensus from the group is that this is really a *strategic* decision that needs to be made at a higher level. Deciding whether to grant differential treatment to a class of requests or projects is beyond the scope of the group's charter. The reconciliation process treats all projects, and thus all users, equitably. No one _likes_ it, but the approach is appropriate to the resource portfolio and the supply-demand situation we face.
    • John - is there a Gateway that had an allocation that ran out and had to stop services?
    • Dan - yes
    • John - making small users even smaller
    • Dan - if our goal is to indicate that we need more resources, inflicting small but larger institutes is less effective. Incentive to find other sources. How many times we want the community to go elsewhere for resources. Personally, this is the wrong mechanism for protecting Gateways. Would rather do a weighted review. 
      • Full amounts or reduced amounts, whether it is justified vs. post-review they don't get reduced. Would rather construct a mechanism that is pre-review. Let the reviewers tag them if there is no cut rather than us applying the no-cut.
    • John - setting a cut should be based on something
    • Dave H - if there are SPs that have in their mandate to support Gateways, could have it exempted from cuts for their resources. Less favorable to put it in policy document
    • Ralph - what is wrong with them asking for a supplement?
    • Nancy - like the dual approaches

Decisions:


Actions:

Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) 
    • L1/L2 recurring meeting setup
  • CEE (Kelly) 
    • Chris - had first all-hands meeting. Gave overview of CEE and L3s gave a short summary of tasks and progress. Will be a monthly meeting
      • User Engagement - survey responses and allocation preparations. Working on next microsurvey: Training
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu) 
    • Biweekly meeting: looking at staff levels, assignments, etc. Improving information flow to PIs recommended for ECSS support; people weren't following through. Affiliates program. JIRA with Marques preparations. Handle on implications for time extensions w/ECSS support and lack of receiving final reports.
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig)
    • Call with NSF: how does the reduced XCI funding impact work. Previously gathered Use Cases intentionally. CEE is supposed to collect user requirements; concern is that we need to make sure that CEE and ECSS have metrics related to gathering of new requirements, so that we are not faced with an empty pipeline. XSEDE community software repository, would like a way for SI2 to contribute to that. NSF would like XCR to be a sustainable resource to contribute community code. Demand for pre-configured machines; XCI doesn't have the cycles to deliver. There are projects developing VMs, and we are willing to collaborate. Branding considerations: NSF Community Software Repository. What is the role XSEDE2 plays in the support, maintenance, testing, endorsement of software. Rudi interested in metrics that are basically counts–would like us to consider impact of deliverable. On-going efforts to get feedback from SPs.
  • Ops (Greg/Victor)
    • Security incident - SSO Hub anomalies, took SSO hub offline and disecting the image, rebuilt it and put it back online. SSO hub was not hacked but used as a conduit for some stolen information. SSO hub is back up. Details with logging, VMs, best practices, auditing, etc. Will trigger audits with Enterprise services as well. Have talked with Rudi, NSF would like an interim report early next week. Will do an after action detailed report as well.
    • XOC upgrades ongoing, Ron should touch base with Mike Pingleton. Sysops will have follow ups based on security incident to make sure best practices are being enforced.
    • Sergiu - would like to touch base on the Jason Allison report 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) 
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura) 
    • Communication survey results are compiled.  Results being reviewed by Program Office
    • XSEDE2 Financial Portal Update: Testing by BusOps and SDSC complete, NICS & Shodor agreed to enter XSEDE2 invoice(s) as a means of Beta testing. User training videos being scripted. Training videos and general release of tool expected be the end of the Jan.
  • SP Forum (Dan) 
  • UAC (Emre)
    • Sent out XCI voting for UAC and will work on next meeting in February 
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott)  
  • NSF (Rudi)

Record improvements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/edit#gid=0

Next Meeting:  January 19, 2017

  • No labels