Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

NAMEPRESENT ?/X
Ron PayneX
Laura Herriott?
John Towns?
Kelly Gaither 
Emre Brookes?
Dan Stanzione?
Karla Gendler?
Scott Wells 
Dave Lifka?
Greg Peterson 
Victor Hazlewood?
Scott Lathrop?
Ralph Roskies?
Nancy Wilkins-Diehr?
Sergiu Sanielevici?
Dave Hart?
Ken Hackworth?
Jim Lupo 
Craig Stewart 
Rudi Eigenmann 


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

  • SMT attendees list was reduced to L2 and Governance committees.  If an L# Manager should participate to cover a specific agenda item, the L2 Director should invite the L3 Manager to the SMT call.
  • Rich Knepper - study description
    • Community Resource Integration adn PhD student at School of Informatics. Using XSEDE as a source for discertation
    • How are users and staff negotiating how XSEDE is used over time: traditional vs. non-traditional use
    • Observe discussions and present the XSEDE project as a theater of operations where modalities of compute use are getting worked out
    • Will do interviews
    • Quantitative analysis of data such as that on XDMOD
    • Prospectus attached to agenda
    • Ken - allocations meeting attendance, might be good to do a brief presentation
    • Allowing Rich to progress unless 


2. XAB (John)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Laura - will need another science rep, so please send John suggestions
  • (6/23) Ron - will also need to assign a chair
  • (7/8) Ron - Per PEP chair assignment expected by fall 2016 

Discussion:

  • (8/4) 
    • Rotating 3 members off and will be requested a new under-represented team member
    • Next meeting 8/17 and will update them on Review and award process, the Project Improvement Plan process, NSCI and XSEDE's Role, and XAB expectations (including assigning a Chair, and a short written summary of meeting calling out)

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

 

3. Reports and Plans from XSEDE1 to XSEDE2 (John)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Victor - Regarding the XSEDE1 to XSEDE2 ticket system phased migration plan:
    • XSEDE1 ticket transition policy recommendation: closing of all XSEDE1 tickets older than one month (from ticket creation date) with no direct email notification to the user except tickets in the Allocations queue which will be closed if created before May 1. An XSEDE news announcement will be sent to notify users that we will be closing XSEDE1 tickets older than 1 month.
    • XSEDE2 policy recommendation: XSEDE will discontinue the practice of sending email to the requestor for the very last step of closing a ticket. Emails for replys and comments for actions taken regarding a ticket will continue to send emails to the requestor. Reason: the auto reply for closing a ticket has received replys on many occasions which reopens the ticket. See ticket # 2046 for an example.
      • Emre/Ralph - like to receive close messages w/no reply
      • Ron - move to an off-line discussion
      • Maytal - suggest each WBS area close their own tickets
  • (6/23) Karla - final XSEDE1 report due next month, Kandace will send date reminders
  • (7/8) Karla - L2 content for final report due today.  Important dates are:
    • 7/11: all text due to SharePoint 
    • 7/13-7/14: copy edits 
    • 7/15: Report due

Discussion:

  • (8/4) John - will have to complete the final report for XSEDE1. We also have Review feedback report and a list of recommendations. Would like to complete the final report by the end of October. Will also file a Project Outcomes report filed, a one-page summary to be seen by non-technical/government
    • Ralph - what is the point of ammending the report based upon feedback?
    • John - NSF wants to use this as an example of how things should be done and how other projects are run
  • (8/4) Karla - starting a reporting process project as we move toward Google Docs. First report is due in November, so hoping to have a plan by end of September
  • (8/4) Victor - Data Management Plan - snapshot or archive. Ron is requesting storage space at NCSA. Ticket system and information services complete. Working on other transition items. Transition to the new organization and the services we are not continuing. Will hand off to Ron

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Ron to send request to Victor for closeout status of RT system transition
  • Ron to setup a call with Greg, JP & Ron to discuss Globus responsibilities
  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

4. XSEDE2 Wiki Discusion (John/Maytal/Janet)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Maytal - ready to freeze wiki on June 30th
  • (6/23) Janet - installed, PM and L2 and L3 managers have access, goal to have structure laid out by 7/1. confluence.xsede.org but please do not make changes yet
  • (6/23) Shava - can login with XSEDE credentials
  • XSEDE 2 Wiki up with structure/landing pages defined.  Content is being loaded by staff across the project.  Wiki was made open with read-only permissions as of 30-June.

  • XSEDE 1 Wiki locked with read only access

Discussion:

  • (8/4) Karla - questions regarding the public nature of the wiki. Janet is asking for more guidelines from Rudi. Campus Bridging has requested a separate space, so we need to consider how many seats we are purchasing and what is our policy going forward
  • (8/4) Victor - security and networking groups for example do have private information. Doing some private pages.
  • (8/4) John - default answer is not private unless needed
  • (8/4) Nancy - ECSS workplans could be revealing
  • (8/4) Dave - free to add content? Karla - yes

Decisions:

 

Actions:

Ron to request update from Janet regarding status on user account setup.

 

 

5. XSEDE17 Conference Update (Dave)

Previously:

 

Discussion:

  • (8/4) Dave - XSEDE17 and independence from XSEDE
    • No funding from XSEDE and not a formal deliverable under XSEDE2
    • UIUC's responsibility as a steward of XSEDE as a deliverable
    • Sponsors may take issue with the name change if not described as a continuation
    • Conference branding, XSEDE.org for mailing lists, wiki pages, website, etc.
    • Staff participation is volunteer only and make sure local supervisor pays for travel understands daily duties and travel
    • Campus Champions may have to submit a proposal to participate, for example, if totally separate
    • Sponsorship and whether XSEDE is a sponsor to maintain the connection
    • Evaluation and XSEDE
    • Networking was in Tim's SOW ACTION need to clarify this
    • Dave, Sergiu, Kelly need to talk to IEEE ACTION
    • Contract in place very soon, might need an interim webpage as a starting point for the rebranding exercise
  • John 
    • Suggests a parallel session at the quarterly meeting ACTION Laura
    • Independent website
    • As the PI I strongly encourage involvement in this conference
    • Question of travel charged to XSEDE
    • Additional discussion needed
    • Will also have Program Officer change

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • (8/4) Laura look at XSEDE2 proposal documents to see what is stated about the conference

 


6. SP Forum and XSEDE Federation (Dan)

  • Status update from Victor for integration into XSEDE environment (ie, Stanford)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Victor - letters of intent on wiki, SP Forum membership on website--they don't match
    • Laura - working with Dana Brunson to make sure going forward on XSEDE2 it is; will follow up
  • Dan - Vice chair, Jim Lupo retired 6/30.  J. Ray Scott is the new chair

  • Dan - Gathering guidance on discussion about how XSEDE brand can help L3 members.  L3 Information has been collected and added to SW registry.

Discussion:

  • ACTION Add Ray to these meetings and email distribution list
  • Pilot for account mechanisms and XCI process
  • Stanford and South Dakota now members
  • Victor - Greg submitting NICS as L2 soon; ACTION meet with Amy and Dave to map out

Decisions:

 

Actions:

Dan - Not all federation members understand change from X1 to X2, request is for each L2 to attend a call in Aug or Sept to provide 15 min describe changes in their area from XSEDE 1 to XSEDE 2.  Calls are Thurs. @ 4pm ET.  L2's please contact Dan directly to schedule a time.



7. Gateway vs. PI Allocations (Nancy)

  • The topic for discussion is whether gateway allocations should be treated the same as single PI allocations when post-recommendation cuts are applied at the allocations meetings. At the June XRAC, despite being recommended in full, the CIPRES gateway, representing 8500 users, was cut by one third. CIPRES has appealed this decision. If this stands, it will mean major policy changes. Per-user usage through the gateway award would need to be reduced sending thousands of users either to the allocations process themselves, or possibly losing them as users. Planned code additions would also be scrapped. While PIs can request supplements, those are uncertain and that lack of certainty has a major impact on proactive gateway planning. The small group discussing allocations processes will be considering this topic, but the pace of those meetings (next meetings 7/1, 7/15) is slow enough that we wanted to discuss this on the SMT.

Previously:

  • (6/23) Chris - others affected besides Gateways
  • (6/23) Dave - Gateways are no different. 100s of request not be satisfied everywhere. Sacrifice Gateway users (many more) or the larger-scale users? Strategic decision for XSEDE to make
  • (6/23) Sergiu - consider having merit factored into decision; currently formula doesn't factor in research
  • (6/23) Ken - normalizes the recommended numbers based on what is made available by the sites. Larger machines adjusted by size of the recommeneded award and the supporting grants (NSF vs. non-NSF support). Largest cut was 56% of 1 alloction for example 50M w/some NSF grants. Mark Miller had 28M requested as was reduced to 18M; doesn't take into account the number of recommended awards
  • (6/23) Marlon - compared to other people requested is it the same size of request? Consider other factors such as number of publications w/XSEDE acknowledged, for example--ultimate goal is to deliver science
  • (6/23) Ken - based on percentage not a number requested; 97% of funding was NSF so his cut wasn't as big as others. Solver is legacy and would be a project to modify it.
  • (6/23) Nancy - Gateway would have a smaller amount of funding, but its based on percentage so probably not the issue. Bring in XRAC recommendation like Sergiu said
  • (6/23) Sergiu - if we cut them too much, they cannot do their work
  • (6/23) Ken - there are recommendations for which projects not to cut

Discussion:

 

Decisions:

Nancy - SP issued instructions to XRAC, issue is closed & can be removed from SMT agenda.

Remove from agenda

Actions:

 



8. New XSEDE2 Capability Delivery Plans (JP and Lee)

  • Purpose: Introduce the SMT to new Capability Delivery Plans developed by the XCI team and to request feedback over the next ~2 weeks.
  • (6/23) JP - concise picture of plan for each use case. CPD is non-engineering public-facing document. Anyone on SMT could see these and help to identify gaps. New XCI is asking SMT and UREP to look over initial CDPs.
    • large file data usage
    • data analytics related software

Previously:

 

Discussion:

  • Dave - CPDs are the lifeline for XSEDE2. Wants to be able to work across XSEDE area to identify new use cases so that we have a new pipline for capabilities
  • Nancy - user surveys might have suggestions. CPDs impact labor in other areas. Can ask users for input as well.
  • Dave - what is the right communication path to stay connected? Need to be as proactive as possible
  • Ralph - changes in allocations have been requested
  • Victor - we have a lot of interest from the un-allocated SPs, focus on SP forum requested access to things we already have–those could provide good impact numbers

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • ACTION JP sent email to leadership 6/22, please post feedback by July 15

 

9. August Quarterly Meeting (Ron/Laura)

Previously:

 

Discussion:

 

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

10. Award Status (John/Laura)

  • Fixing XSEDE2 budget
  • Need to be clear about the difference between gap funding and XSEDE2 funding
  • Travel wasn't handled properly and there will be impacts
    • For example PM travel was done inconsistently
  • OSP at Illinois still has not yet processed the amendments for the Gap funding, but Lacey remains in daily contact to find out when those will begin coming through. The XSEDE2 funding has not been awarded from NSF as of yet.

Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) 
  • CEE (Kelly/Scott) 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu) Ralph - now oversubscribed. Nancy - previous Campus Champions Fellows volunteering to participate on projects; considering volunteer or affiliates program. Best practices and workplan templates
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) Dave - conversation with Rudi about milestones and goals broader than KPIs and metrics
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) Victor - security request for Project Improvement fund to fund Derek's travel to have a good seat at that table $3500. Combined Networking and Data Services. Deputy changed from Tom Hutton to Tabitha to represent the Data Services side. Ticket closing activities, but there still are a few unresolved tickets from XSEDE1: 3 in allocations, 4 in PM, 3 in Systems and Software Engineering, 1 ER on email distribution lists, 4 Accounting and Account Management, 1 ECSS. Need to create new RT queues on WBS and new supporters. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) Dave - RAS retreat to map out 5 years and develop priorities. Ken - August XRAC not as high: 206. 1.1B SUs requested. Proposals all assigned. XSEDE2 staff grants that PI or allocations manager submissions.
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura)
  • SP Forum (Dan)
  • UAC (Emre)
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) 
  • NSF (Rudi)

 

Next Meeting:  August 18, 2016

  • No labels