Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

NAMEPRESENT ?/X
Ron Payne?
Laura HerriottX
John TownsX
Kelly Gaither?
Emre Brookes?
Dan Stanzione?
Karla GendlerX
Scott WellsX
Dave Lifka?
Greg Peterson?
Victor HazlewoodX
Scott LathropX
Ralph Roskies?
Nancy Wilkins-Diehr?
Sergiu Sanielevici?
Dave HartX
Ken Hackworth?
Jim LupoX
Craig StewartX
Rudi EigenmannX


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

  • SMT attendees list was reduced to L2 and Governance committees.  If an L# Manager should participate to cover a specific agenda item, the L2 Director should invite the L3 Manager to the SMT call.


2. XAB (John)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Laura - will need another science rep, so please send John suggestions
  • (6/23) Ron - will also need to assign a chair

Discussion:

  • (7/8) Ron - Per PEP chair assignment expected by fall 2016 

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

 

3. Reports and Plans from XSEDE1 to XSEDE2 (John)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Victor - Regarding the XSEDE1 to XSEDE2 ticket system phased migration plan:
    • XSEDE1 ticket transition policy recommendation: closing of all XSEDE1 tickets older than one month (from ticket creation date) with no direct email notification to the user except tickets in the Allocations queue which will be closed if created before May 1. An XSEDE news announcement will be sent to notify users that we will be closing XSEDE1 tickets older than 1 month.
    • XSEDE2 policy recommendation: XSEDE will discontinue the practice of sending email to the requestor for the very last step of closing a ticket. Emails for replys and comments for actions taken regarding a ticket will continue to send emails to the requestor. Reason: the auto reply for closing a ticket has received replys on many occasions which reopens the ticket. See ticket # 2046 for an example.
      • Emre/Ralph - like to receive close messages w/no reply
      • Ron - move to an off-line discussion
      • Maytal - suggest each WBS area close their own tickets
  • (6/23) Karla - final XSEDE1 report due next month, Kandace will send date reminders

Discussion:

  • (7/8) Karla - L2 content for final report due today.  Important dates are:
    • 7/11: all text due to SharePoint 
    • 7/13-7/14: copy edits 
    • 7/15: Report due

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Ron to send request to Victor for closeout status of RT system transition
  • Ron to setup a call with Greg, JP & Ron to discuss Globus responsibilities
  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

4. XSEDE2 Wiki Discusion (John/Maytal/Janet)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Maytal - ready to freeze wiki on June 30th
  • (6/23) Janet - installed, PM and L2 and L3 managers have access, goal to have structure laid out by 7/1. confluence.xsede.org but please do not make changes yet
  • (6/23) Shava - can login with XSEDE credentials

Discussion:

XSEDE 2 Wiki up with structure/landing pages defined.  Content is being loaded by staff across the project.  Wiki was made open with read-only permissions as of 30-June.

XSEDE 1 Wiki locked with read only access

Decisions:

 

Actions:

Ron to request update from Janet regarding status on user account setup.

 

 

5. XSEDE16 Conference Update (Kelly)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Laura - reminder to tell your teams that we will not be having the parallel staff meeting sessions at the conference, based on feedback from the survey conducted late last year. Please let Chris Hempel know if you need a meeting room
  • (6/23) Kelly - 504 registrations and did make hotel block, but 504 is low. Variety of reasons: funding, confusion. Would like to get to 600 or 650; John said we should get to over 700. HPCwire is sending out an announcement and others from XSEDE will be coming. Hotel block is still available, but the price is going up. Won't have to pay pentaly as hotel filling up. Waiting to hear back from White House OTP and getting their final approval for travel.
  • (6/23) Dave - week of July 8th is a good week for XSEDE17; are there issues that week?

Discussion:

Kelly - Currently, 252 registrants (low).  Requested that everyone on the call spread the word.  The room block is still open. 


Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

 


6. SP Forum and XSEDE Federation (Dan)

  • Status update from Victor for integration into XSEDE environment (ie, Stanford)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Victor - letters of intent on wiki, SP Forum membership on website--they don't match
    • Laura - working with Dana Brunson to make sure going forward on XSEDE2 it is; will follow up

Discussion:

Dan - Vice chair, Jim Lupo retired 6/30.  J. Ray Scott is the new chair

Dan - Gathering guidance on discussion about how XSEDE brand can help L3 members.  L3 Information has been collected and added to SW registry.

Decisions:

 

Actions:

Dan - Not all federation members understand change from X1 to X2, request is for each L2 to attend a call in Aug or Sept to provide 15 min describe changes in their area from XSEDE 1 to XSEDE 2.  Calls are Thurs. @ 4pm ET.  L2's please contact Dan directly to schedule a time.



7. Gateway vs. PI Allocations (Nancy)

  • The topic for discussion is whether gateway allocations should be treated the same as single PI allocations when post-recommendation cuts are applied at the allocations meetings. At the June XRAC, despite being recommended in full, the CIPRES gateway, representing 8500 users, was cut by one third. CIPRES has appealed this decision. If this stands, it will mean major policy changes. Per-user usage through the gateway award would need to be reduced sending thousands of users either to the allocations process themselves, or possibly losing them as users. Planned code additions would also be scrapped. While PIs can request supplements, those are uncertain and that lack of certainty has a major impact on proactive gateway planning. The small group discussing allocations processes will be considering this topic, but the pace of those meetings (next meetings 7/1, 7/15) is slow enough that we wanted to discuss this on the SMT.

Previously:

  • (6/23) Chris - others affected besides Gateways
  • (6/23) Dave - Gateways are no different. 100s of request not be satisfied everywhere. Sacrifice Gateway users (many more) or the larger-scale users? Strategic decision for XSEDE to make
  • (6/23) Sergiu - consider having merit factored into decision; currently formula doesn't factor in research
  • (6/23) Ken - normalizes the recommended numbers based on what is made available by the sites. Larger machines adjusted by size of the recommeneded award and the supporting grants (NSF vs. non-NSF support). Largest cut was 56% of 1 alloction for example 50M w/some NSF grants. Mark Miller had 28M requested as was reduced to 18M; doesn't take into account the number of recommended awards
  • (6/23) Marlon - compared to other people requested is it the same size of request? Consider other factors such as number of publications w/XSEDE acknowledged, for example--ultimate goal is to deliver science
  • (6/23) Ken - based on percentage not a number requested; 97% of funding was NSF so his cut wasn't as big as others. Solver is legacy and would be a project to modify it.
  • (6/23) Nancy - Gateway would have a smaller amount of funding, but its based on percentage so probably not the issue. Bring in XRAC recommendation like Sergiu said
  • (6/23) Sergiu - if we cut them too much, they cannot do their work
  • (6/23) Ken - there are recommendations for which projects not to cut

Discussion:

 

Decisions:

Nancy - SP issued instructions to XRAC, issue is closed & can be removed from SMT agenda.

Actions:

 



8. New XSEDE2 Capability Delivery Plans (JP and Lee)

  • Purpose: Introduce the SMT to new Capability Delivery Plans developed by the XCI team and to request feedback over the next ~2 weeks.
  • (6/23) JP - concise picture of plan for each use case. CPD is non-engineering public-facing document. Anyone on SMT could see these and help to identify gaps. New XCI is asking SMT and UREP to look over initial CDPs.
    • large file data usage
    • data analytics related software

Previously:

 

Discussion:

 

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • ACTION JP sent email to leadership 6/22, please post feedback by July 15



Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron)
  • CEE (Kelly/Scott)
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu)
    • All hands next week
    • Moving from Sciforma to JIRA - in process
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig)
  • Ops (Greg/Victor)
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken)
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura)
    • PEP in review cycle with John & Rudi; update to Rudi due today; outstanding items are:
      • Allocations process overview
      • Wiki page for policies and Procedures
      • Wiki Page for XSEDE2 metrics definition
      • Table for initial risks
      • High level schedule for project deliverables 
  • SP Forum (Dan)
  • UAC (Emre)
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott)
    • L2 content for final report due today. 
  • NSF (Rudi)

 

Next Meeting:  August 4, 2016 (No meeting on July 21, 2016 due to XSEDE16 Conference)

  • No labels