Project Management, Reporting & Risk Management (PM&R) enables an effective virtual organization through application of project management principles, provides visibility to project progress, successes, and challenges, brings new ideas and management practices into the project and disseminates lessons learned in XSEDE to other virtual organizations.
KPIs and Metrics
|Variance, in days, between relevant report submission and due date||0|
|Grand (aggregate) mean of Staff Climate Study satisfaction items regarding content and accessibility of the XSEDE Staff Wiki (1-5 point Likert scale)||3.5 of 5|
|Percentage of risks reviewed||100%|
|Marques Bland||Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC)||PM for Extended Collaborative Support Services (ECSS)|
|Leslie Froeschl||National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)||Group manager, PM for Program Office (PgO)|
|Lucille Jarzynka||Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC)||PM for XSEDE Cyberinfrastructure Integration (XCI)|
|Noni Ledford||National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)||PM|
|Leslie Morsek||San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC)||PM for Community Engagement and Enrichment (CEE)|
|Sonia Nayak||San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC)|
PM for Resource Allocation Service (RAS)
|Deb Nigra||Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC)||PM|
|Scott Wells||National Institute for Computational Sciences (NICS)|
Deputy manager, PM for Operations (Ops)
Communication & Meetings
The PM&R group meets bi-weekly on Monday at 2pm ET.
WBS 2.6.3 - PM&R Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B16f9Te7wFwma2I4a1pacU0wTm8
New Staff Orientation
Participate in the activities and communications of the project management team
Serve as the primary PM for PM&R and/or XSEDE-wide project initiatives, as assigned
Document SOP for general project management procedures of XSEDE
Coordinate communications in the form of teleconferences, quarterly meetings, project-wide meetings, and reporting
Maintain PM&R processes, tools, and resources, including but not limited to:
XSEDE Staff Wiki
Project mail lists
Attend scheduled PM&R team calls
- Suggest process improvement project, as appropriate
- Internal Communication Management (Lead: Leslie Froeschl)
- In general, the highly distributed nature of XSEDE requires that project staff communicate frequently and thoroughly in order to provide the appropriate deliverables and to recognize opportunities and risks early. As a result, XSEDE relies heavily upon tools such as Zoom and internal mailing lists for WBS and project-wide communication. Enabling open dialog promotes awareness of current activities and future plans and facilitates consensus building by including XSEDE personnel as well as NSF and Advisory Committee Chairs. There is extensive communications vertically and horizontally across the organization.
- Google Drive (Lead: Deb Nigra)
- Project Improvement Fund (Lead: Ron Payne)
- Key Performance Indicators (Lead: Scott Wells)
- Key Performance Indicators or KPIs are a class of metrics used at the L2 or Project-level to measure progress toward the project's strategic goals. There is at least one KPI per strategic sub-goal.
- Project Change Control (Lead: Scott Wells)
- The change control process allows for documentation of project changes that affect technical, schedule, cost/budget, staff, project-wide key performance indicators, area metrics, scope, and/or other baseline changes. Any XSEDE staff member may submit a request to modify the execution of the project, which requires the completion of a Project Change Request (PCR). The PCR form is located on the Project Change Control wiki page linked to above.
- Schedule and Instructions for Project Reports and Annual Program Plans (Lead: Noni Ledford)
- Interim reports, an Annual Report, and other ad-hoc reports are required for the XSEDE project by NSF. The reporting process provides a schedule, a report template, and detailed instructions for each step of the reporting process.
- Risk Management (Lead: Sonia Nayak)
- Risk Management is key to the success of XSEDE. By identifying risks, their triggers, mitigation strategy and contingency plans, XSEDE can reduce the risk and keep moving forward. Before each quarterly meeting, risk owners will be asked to review their risks, providing any updates and adding any new risks that may have appeared. A risk Report/review may be given at the quarterly meetings.
- Planning (Lead: Noni Ledford)
- Annually, XSEDE must plan for the activities to be executed in the next plan year. Program Planning provides a schedule of the planning activities, templates for each of the deliverables, and detailed directions for what to do in each step of the process.
- Staff Onboarding/Offboarding (Lead: Scott Wells)
- As new staff members arrive and existing staff depart, access to the staff Wiki and other resources requires some degree of coordination. The process for adding access for new staff and removing access for exiting staff is initiated by the completion of Google forms. Completion of onboarding/offboarding forms is not meant to address staff who flow in and out during the project year, but rather permanent departure from XSEDE. Temporary resource addition or removal should be handled individually.
- Quarterly Meeting Actions/Decision Management (Lead: Sonia Nayak)
- Four times a year, XSEDE management staff gather and meet for two days. These meetings consist of multiple presentations and discussions. A product of these presentations and discussions is often action items and decision making. These are logged and tracked by XSEDE staff using JIRA.
- Project Execution Plan Maintenance (Lead: Leslie Froeschl)
- The project execution plan (PEP) contains descriptions of the standard operating procedures for the project. The PEP, along with the project's SOPs, is meant to serve as an orientation source for new project staff and to provide guidelines to the processes we use to execute the project.
The XSEDE project uses a wiki that is largely open to the public. This policy document governs the access and use of the wiki.
Recommendations (Lead: Leslie Froeschl)
The XSEDE project is regularly reviewed by various stakeholder groups (e.g., XSEDE Advisory Board, XSEDE Service Provider Forum, National Science Foundation). A product of these reviews is recommendations for the project. These recommendations are logged and addressed by XSEDE staff using JIRA.
Project Managers by Area
|WBS||Area||Director(s)/Manager(s)||Deputy Director/Manager||Project Manager|
|2.1||CEE||Kelly Gaither||Linda Akli||Leslie Morsek|
|2.1.1||CEE - DO||Kelly Gaither||Leslie Morsek|
|2.1.2||CEE - WD||Linda Akli||Leslie Morsek|
|2.1.3||CEE - UE||Bryan Snead|
|2.1.4||CEE - BP||Linda Akli||Leslie Morsek|
|2.1.5||CEE - UII||Maytal Dahan||Leslie Morsek|
|2.1.6||CEE - CE|
|2.2.1||ECSS - DO|
|2.2.2||ECSS - ESRT||Lonnie Crosby|
|2.2.3||ECSS - NIP||Sergiu Sanielevici|
|2.2.4||ECSS - ESCC||Lars Koesterke|
|2.2.5||ECSS - ESSGW||Rob Quick|
|2.2.6||ECSS - ESTEO||Jay Alameda|
|2.3||XCI||Dave Lifka||Shava Smallen/Tabitha Samuel||Lucille Jarzynka|
|2.3.1||XCI - DO||Dave Lifka||Lucille Jarzynka|
|2.3.2||XCI - RACD|
|2.3.3||XCI - XCRI||Rich Knepper||Lucille Jarzynka|
|2.4||Ops||Greg Peterson||Victor Hazlewood||Scott Wells|
|2.4.1||Ops - DO||Greg Peterson||Scott Wells|
|2.4.2||Ops - Cybersecurity|
|2.4.2||Ops - DTS||Dave Wheeler||Scott Wells|
|2.4.3||Ops - XOC||Carman Hendricks||Scott Wells|
|2.4.4||Ops - SysOps||Gary Rogers||Scott Wells|
|2.5||RAS||Dave Hart||Ken Hackworth||Sonia Nayak|
|2.5.1||RAS - APP||Ken Hackworth||Sonia Nayak|
|2.5.2||RAS - A3M||Nathan Tolbert||Sonia Nayak|
|2.6||Program Office||Ron Payne||Leslie Froeschl||Leslie Froeschl|
|2.6.1||PO||Ron Payne||Leslie Froeschl|
|2.6.2||PO - ER||Dina Meek||Leslie Froeschl|
|2.6.3||PO - PM&R||Leslie Froeschl||Leslie Froeschl|
|2.6.4||PO - BO||Ron Payne||Leslie Froeschl|
|2.6.5||PO - SP&E||Ron Payne||Leslie Froeschl|