Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Annual Report was submitted last Friday. Reporting overall went well. Appreciate everyone's efforts!
  • 100% compliance on the risk review again. Thank you to the team!
  • Not many issues with John's final review. We continue to improve with this process. Testament to the entire team. This is the most significant document we produce every year. 

Decisions:


3. Early Planning for Panel Review (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (4/25) Added to Agenda 
    • Wiki page is up to date with known information: 2019 XSEDE2 Panel Review
    • Hotel block will be setup; War Room should be reserved on day 2 for the afternoon only 
    • Mass transit down so expect longer transit times. 
    • Onsite conflicts
      • Kelly (remote)
      • Craig (Available Monday night & depart Tuesday night)
      • Ruth CAN attend
    • Travel to DC on Monday (dry run to start by 12pm ET). Depart Thursday morning. John will stay for debrief around noon on Thursday. 
  • (5/9)  Draft agenda to be posted to the wiki next week. Will stay primarily the same as last year and include ROI (Craig) and Discover More campaign (Hannah) as special topics. 
    • Panelist list is not expected to be provided by NSF until just before the review. Once the list is received, bios will be posted for SMT review.  
    • Westin does not have availability for our room block, so Amber is working to get another hotel set up. Information on this will be sent out ASAP. 

Discussion:

  • Slide template is now posted. Includes mission statement, org structure with staff, FTE, funding amount, and KPIs for each L2 area. 
  • Ron will send out an email with a link to this. 
  • Amber will make hotel reservations for everyone, but you will need to pay for your room on-site. Let Amber (admoore@illinois.edu) know your arrival & departure date so she can make the reservations for you. 
  • There will be a couple tweaks to agenda re. order/timing. Wiki is being kept up to date with the agenda. 
  • Presentations will all be on Tuesday. Wednesday will allow time for presentation based on homework. 
  • Run-through of all slides at remote quarterly on June 5-6 followed by dry run on Monday June 10. 
  • Emre can join remotely. Often request comment from UAC & SPF chair during the review. Also helpful to be available during homework in the evening.
  • Ruth will be present.
  • Leslie will create a folder for everyone to put draft presentations
  • Bob will provide list of panelists Monday before review.

Decisions:

 

4. Demo of Cision Software (Hannah Remmert

Previously:

  • (5/23) Added to Agenda 

Discussion:

  • PR database software
  • Most extensive collection of journalists
  • Track media hits & pull better results
  • Cision collects much larger number of hits than Google analytics
  • Shows mentions (includes Twitter), unique visitors per month, types of media platforms sharing, top outlets & articles, etc. Much customization is possible. 
  • Daily emails from Cision with media hits over the past day, which allows for better follow-up. 
  • Can search for people to share specific stories based on content/areas of interest
  • Publicity value based on user views for the month based on number of people they guess are seeing it. Provides a value that it might be worth in your promo budget. 
  • Sentiment is based on tone of language. i.e., Cancer gets a negative rating because it has a negative connotation. 
    • Would compound word like cancer research be positive. Hannah Remmertwill check on this. 
  • Consider using a sponsored content piece in Science Node to talk about XSEDE doing this & what the results look like. Craig Stewart will have an author reach out to Hannah. John & Hannah will take a look at what is drafted and determine whether this is something we want to do. 

Decisions:

5. Expanding XSEDE Software Capabilities through Community Collaboration (JP Navarro with ECSS &  XCI team) 

Previously:

  • (5/23) Added to Agenda 

Discussion:

  • (5/23) Presentation slides
  • Community is largely unaware that XSEDE can help integrate their software based capabilities except for the ECSS provided services, so this would be complimentary to ECSS services.
  • Objectives:
    • Communicate broadly that XSEDE is looking to collaborate to expand the software based capabilities available to XSEDE users
    • Provide a simple process to contact and engage collaborators
    • Enhance cross-program collaboration to expand software based capabilities 
  • Summary
    • Send out periodic calls (yearly?) for collaboration proposals
    • A program home page with an intro and instructions
    • A Transparent XSEDE multi-WBS process to handle the proposals. 
  • Who can apply
    • software developers
    • infrastructure projects
    • XSEDE SPs
    • Non-XSEDE and campus based service providers
  • See slides for examples of types of proposals people might submit
  • Once proposals come in, will decide who will do the work and what we can handle. Could have involvement from across WBS areas depending on the types of proposals that come in. Proposers would also need to commit to putting resources in.

Decisions:

 


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) -  
    • In good shape for review
    • Asked Bob if there are questions from panel that we have them a week before to incorporate into presentations. Last year we didn't get any in advance, but if we do this year John will pass them along. 
    • New Senior PM has been hired: Leslie 

  • CEE (Kelly) -   
    • Maytal: Kelly has 22 kids. 16 females, 5 males, no computation experience but already learning Python. 
    • Interesting projects being selected 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) -  
    • Have submitted ECSS training PIF
    • Have our first XSEDE technical report submission in the pipeline & spreading the word to the rest of ECSS staff to do the same. 

  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) -
    • Waiting on XCI PIF request. 
    • Have seen slides from NSF presentations that indicate that XCI activities need to be looking for sources of funding continuity in addition to whatever might come out in solicitations past the end of XSEDE. Have some good ideas. 
    • ROI: finished methods for financial calculations paper for PEARC. Deadline has been extended so Craig has a few tweaks he'll make to the paper. Will have electronic & paper copies at annual review
       
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • No update

  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -
    • XRAC: meeting coming up June 2-3. If John/Ron knows any NSF people that want to attend, they're welcome to attend. Bob has shared the invitation. Ron will check with him. 
      • June is a light request time. 160ish proposals will be presented at the meeting. 

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • XAB call for nominations
      • Ron contacting those not chosen in the last round to see if they're still interested. Those who are and any new nominations will be sent out for voting. 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
      • Multiple references to best practices & lessons learned in PY9 planning. Tech Report Series is a good place to publish these kinds of documents.
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira) 
    • PIF window never closes and funds can be accepted anytime
      • L2s asked to encourage their teams to submit ideas 
      • 4 proposals submitted in the last week
        • Details will be sent out and reviewed on L1/2 call
    • Annual review is June 11-13, 2019. (dry run on June 10)
      • Basic info has been posted to the wiki: 2019 XSEDE2 Panel Review
      • PPT template is linked from the wiki: L2 Area PowerPoint template for the 2019 NSF Panel Review (download and open in PowerPoint).
      • Everyone should plan to be there for the evening of June 12 in case there is homework that night. John will present responses on Thursday but others aren't required to stay for the responses on Thursday morning.  
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - 
    •  Craig came to last meeting to discuss ROI analysis
    • JP & Shava gave update on XCI & had one L3 SP interested in work on Open Stack

  • UAC (Emre) - 
    •  Next meeting will be in July. 
    • Emre is committed to helping with panel review as he's able remotely. Could also connect on Monday (dry run) in evening

  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - June 20, 2019 (Note no SMT call on June 6 due to remote quarterly meeting that day).

  

  • No labels