Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 27, 2018
  • (9/27) John confirming dates for the remainder of the year.
  • (9/27) Risk Review in two weeks.
  • (9/28) Proposed XSEDE2 reporting schedule reviewed by John and sent to the SMT for review and approval.
  • (10/11) Provide more time for completion & avoid conflicts. 
    • Will require an update to PEP. 
    • John has informed Bob that this is coming. 
    • IPR7 work will occur during SC18, but most of the difficulty will fall to John
  • (10/11) Decision to move forward with the proposed new schedule. 
  • (10/25) IPR7 commences on Nov. 1. Changes to this IPR from previous ones include:
    • L2 sections should provide updates on any management changes (L2 director, L3 manager, PM change).
    • L2 section highlights that you want moved up to project level highlight, please highlight this in the template.  Ron will then pull from that for the project level highlights. High impact things. 
  • (11/8) Positive feedback from PMs re. reporting process thus far. Deeper dive into submitted content next week.  Please continue to be responsive to PMs as they try to resolve any issues/questions
  • (12/20) IPRI commences on Feb. 1. 
    • Annual report will be due May 15.
    • NSF review: dry run Monday, June 10. Review June 11-13. 
  • (1/17) Reporting period is coming up in 2 weeks. Risk review notifications will come out next week.
  • (1/31) IPR8 reporting process begins tomorrow. 
    • PY9 Planning begins Feb. 11. 
  • (2/14) IPR8 Copyedits were completed yesterday. John has started his review. 
    • PY9 planning is underway. Plans are due today. Budget info will be added tomorrow.  
  • (3/14) All planning text due to PMs on 3/28. L2s and L3s should be finalizing information to submit for that.
  • (3/28) All PY9 Planning content is due to the PMs today. Thus all L3s and L2s should have their parts done and in the PMs hands by CoB today.
    • As a result of discussions at the QM earlier this month, there is a larger volume of PCRs coming in than usual. We are working through those, but please be patient as we wrangle PCRs and Planning efforts simultaneously.
  • (4/11) PY9 plan has gone to XAB. They can comment on the doc, ask questions, etc. We will collate comments/suggestions into the plan and will incorporate this the week of April 22. Your PM will be in touch to integrate changes per XAB input. 
    • A number of areas didn't have planning materials in on time. Communication is the biggest thing so if something is going on the PMs can take the necessary steps to address it. 
  • (4/25) Incorporate XAB suggestions into your planning text in suggesting mode so John can see changes made when he reviews the planning text on Monday, April 29. 
      • Suggestion from XAB to show chart that shows all the areas you touch to demonstrate breadth of the project applies to all L2 areas. Could put in an appendix or provide a link to these charts. John will think about this. 
    • Reporting for RP4/annual commences next week. 

Discussion:

  • On schedule with Annual Report. Expect communications from PMs in response to any of John's comments. Please respond as quickly as possible to their communications about this. 
  • John: working through his synthesis pass today.
  • John drafted text for Section 1 in response to recommendation from XAB to tell story that this is an integrated set of activities. Have received some feedback and welcome more. Please look at this text and provide John with feedback. 

Decisions:


3. Early Planning for Panel Review (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (4/25) Added to Agenda 
    • Wiki page is up to date with known information: 2019 XSEDE2 Panel Review
    • Hotel block will be setup; War Room should be reserved on day 2 for the afternoon only 
    • Mass transit down so expect longer transit times. 
    • Onsite conflicts
      • Kelly (remote)
      • Craig (Available Monday night & depart Tuesday night)
      • Ruth CAN attend
    • Travel to DC on Monday (dry run to start by 12pm ET). Depart Thursday morning. John will stay for debrief around noon on Thursday. 

Discussion:

  • Draft agenda to be posted to the wiki next week. Will stay primarily the same as last year. Will determine special topics tomorrow. ROI will be shared by Craig, and Hannah will discuss the Discover More campaign. 
  • Panelist list is not expected to be provided by NSF until just before the review. Once the list is received, bios will be posted for SMT review.  
  • Westin does not have availability for our room block, so Amber is working to get another hotel set up. Information on this will be sent out ASAP. 

Decisions:

 

4. XAB Member Rotation (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (5/9) Added to Agenda 

Discussion:

  • At least two XAB members will be rotating off the board soon, possibly up to two more. We need to begin our nomination and selection process for the son-to-be open seats. Ron will send out the flow and data collection document for nominations. We expect a nomination will once again be sent out via our ER channels. 
  • This will be the last rotation. Those selected will be on the XAB through the end of the project. 
  • Will run another orientation for new members. 

Decisions:

 


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) -  
    • Spoke with Bob yesterday & informed him of plans for XAB
    • Annual report & program plan coming along great. Plan to be done by end of today or very early tomorrow with synthesis pass. 
  • CEE (Kelly) -   
    •  Starting Tuesday Kelly will be in Hawaii as summer immersion experience and will be 5 hours behind. 
    • XSEDE is helping to fund this experience. 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) -  
    • Bob & Sergiu with CaRCC today talking about ECSS
    • They will also be representing ECSS at ISC workshop in Phoenix coming up soon
    • 100% response rate to internal ECSS needs survey. Draft of a PIF for training is complete and will be submitting it soon. 
    • Quarterly ECSS all call being planned in a couple weeks with focus on reemphasizing reporting and working on emphasizing XSEDE publication initiative & convert work they're doing into XSEDE technical reports. Bob already converted one of his into a technical report to show people. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) -
    •  Working on report
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Working on report
    • Mike Pingleton retired and Dan Lapine is acting as L3 mgr for XOC until a new person is hired
    • Victor got quote for 2 years for DUO & will turn in as a PIF submission. 
    • Working on collecting ticket statistics for the review. We will have through the end of May ticket stats available

  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -
    • Working on report
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
      • Multiple references to best practices & lessons learned in PY9 planning. Tech Report Series is a good place to publish these kinds of documents.
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/
    • PIF window never closes and funds can be accepted anytime
      • L2s asked to encourage their teams to submit ideas 
    • Annual review is June 11-13, 2019. (dry run on June 10)
      • Basic info has been posted to the wiki: 2019 XSEDE2 Panel Review
      • PPT template is linked from the wiki: L2 Area PowerPoint template for the 2019 NSF Panel Review (download and open in PowerPoint).
      • Everyone should plan to be there for the evening of June 12 in case there is homework that night. John will present responses on Thursday but others aren't required to stay for the responses on Thursday morning.  
    • Unspent funds will be on the agenda for Monday's L1/L2 call. Ron will send out updated, simplified version of it. 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - 
    • Dave H & Ester at recent meeting talked about the RAS accounting system
    • Open On demand team talked last week and inputted feedback on features, ways they can leverage XSEDE software in terms of templating for the community
    • Have had about 20 people at recent meetings
    • Craig will talk about ROI on the next meeting
    • Dave Lifka will talk about XCI. New L3 members will benefit from knowing about these services. 
  • UAC (Emre) - 
    • Working on annual report & scheduling next meeting. 
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - May 23, 2019 

 

  • No labels