Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 27, 2018
  • (9/27) John confirming dates for the remainder of the year.
  • (9/27) Risk Review in two weeks.
  • (9/28) Proposed XSEDE2 reporting schedule reviewed by John and sent to the SMT for review and approval.
  • (10/11) Provide more time for completion & avoid conflicts. 
    • Will require an update to PEP. 
    • John has informed Bob that this is coming. 
    • IPR7 work will occur during SC18, but most of the difficulty will fall to John
  • (10/11) Decision to move forward with the proposed new schedule. 
  • (10/25) IPR7 commences on Nov. 1. Changes to this IPR from previous ones include:
    • L2 sections should provide updates on any management changes (L2 director, L3 manager, PM change).
    • L2 section highlights that you want moved up to project level highlight, please highlight this in the template.  Ron will then pull from that for the project level highlights. High impact things. 
  • (11/8) Positive feedback from PMs re. reporting process thus far. Deeper dive into submitted content next week.  Please continue to be responsive to PMs as they try to resolve any issues/questions
  • (12/20) IPRI commences on Feb. 1. 
    • Annual report will be due May 15.
    • NSF review: dry run Monday, June 10. Review June 11-13. 
  • (1/17) Reporting period is coming up in 2 weeks. Risk review notifications will come out next week.
  • (1/31) IPR8 reporting process begins tomorrow. 
    • PY9 Planning begins Feb. 11. 
  • (2/14) IPR8 Copyedits were completed yesterday. John has started his review. 
    • PY9 planning is underway. Plans are due today. Budget info will be added tomorrow.  
  • (3/14) All planning text due to PMs on 3/28. L2s and L3s should be finalizing information to submit for that.
  • (3/28) All PY9 Planning content is due to the PMs today. Thus all L3s and L2s should have their parts done and in the PMs hands by CoB today.
    • As a result of discussions at the QM earlier this month, there is a larger volume of PCRs coming in than usual. We are working through those, but please be patient as we wrangle PCRs and Planning efforts simultaneously.
  • (4/11) PY9 plan has gone to XAB. They can comment on the doc, ask questions, etc. We will collate comments/suggestions into the plan and will incorporate this the week of April 22. Your PM will be in touch to integrate changes per XAB input. 
    • A number of areas didn't have planning materials in on time. Communication is the biggest thing so if something is going on the PMs can take the necessary steps to address it. 

Discussion:

  • Incorporate XAB suggestions into your planning text in suggesting mode so John can see changes made when he reviews the planning text on Monday, April 29. 
    • Suggestion from XAB to show chart that shows all the areas you touch to demonstrate breadth of the project applies to all L2 areas. Could put in an appendix or provide a link to these charts. John will think about this. 
  • Reporting for RP4/annual commences next week. 

Decisions:

3. Promoting IEEE DataPort to XSEDE community (John Towns

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Repository for data. Even if it isn't something we provide, can make people aware of this in case they can use it. Costs are modest. 
  • Victor will bring up with Tim as it seems to apply to DTS. Also loop in JP. 

Decisions:


4. PY6/PY7 Financial Summary Update (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (4/25) Added to Agenda 
  • (1/11) PY6 & PY7 Financial Summary workbook sent to L2s

Discussion:

  • All suspect institutions have confirmed invoice accuracy except one
  • "Unspent" funds split into "Carryover" and "Holdback"
    • Holdback is less than carryover. 
    • Decisions will be made on how to spend holdback once spreadsheet is updated per below bullets
    • When subs carry forward funds, intent is that they have opportunity to put in effort to catch up. Consider that money gone to be used by the sub. Examples could include delayed hires.
    • Holdback is pool that comes back to the project that can be reallocated. 
    • Carryover example: XRACs are held in various cities; Ken will sometimes carry over funds in order to pay for more expensive city
  • "Budget" and "Spend" will be split into "Staff/Equipment" and "Participant Support Costs" (costs used specifically to pay for non-staff to be part of an XSEDE or XSEDE-sponsored event. ie, XRAC, Champion Fellow travel, etc.)
  • Changes expected to be in-place and link to workbook resent by Friday (tomorrow)
  • RAS PCR for added effort in 2.5.1 will be discussed at next week's L1/L2 call.

Decisions:


5. Early Planning for Panel Review (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (4/25) Added to Agenda 

Discussion:

  • Wiki page is up to date with known information: 2019 XSEDE2 Panel Review
  • Should a hotel block be setup?
    • Yes–everyone confirmed to stay in the block 
  • Do we need a War Room on day 2?
    • Reserve into the afternoon but not into the evening. 
  • Mass transit down
    • Expect longer transit times. 
  • Onsite conflicts
    • Kelly (remote)
    • Craig
      • Available Monday night & depart Tuesday night
    • Ruth
      • SPF alternate? 
      • Ruth should know for sure by next Monday if her schedule will change
      • Include 1 person in hotel block (Ruth tentative; can change names if needed)
    • Emre
      • No conflict
  • Travel to DC on Monday (dry run to start by 12pm ET). 
  • Depart Thursday morning. John will stay for debrief around noon on Thursday. 

Decisions:


6. Review of PY8-05: OpenStack Toolkit (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (4/25) Added to Agenda 

Discussion:

  • Questions:
    1. What will be the specific benefits/improvements to XSEDE as a result of this effort? 

    2. Why isn't Aristotle Federated Cloud paying for this work? 

      1. Mutual benefit. CRI asked to deploy HPC clusters & help with cloud. Aristotle developed the stack & open stack cloud. Initially asked about partnering to help community with both. 
      2. PIF would allow us to do more. More requests for containerization of codes. Leveraging in both directions. 
      3. Similar to work with clusters on campus–we are helping campuses. 
      4. Would be nice if there was a clear relationship with cloud & XSEDE ecosystem.  Looking for way to bring greater connection to cloud. This promotes that style of computing, which is part of larger goal of XSEDE. 
      5. Ability to satisfy campus needs for research computing through cloud is important. 
      6. Valuable to have Dave come to future SPF to talk about this work & get input from providers & campuses about how they're thinking about cloud & deploying cloud. Opportunity to extend this work. 
    3. Describe how the Aristotle Federated Cloud will be integrated with the XSEDE ecosystem (in terms of Service Provider checklist items) as a result of this work.

    4. What specifically will be the capabilities delivered and the timeline for these capabilities? 

    5. Will the successful completion of this project allow easy migration of VMs among federated resources (e.g. Jetstream to a federated Campus Cluster)? 

    6. My concern though is that the cloud usage could be dominated by a small number of researchers. Are there mechanisms in place to ensure fair use? 

    7. Some cloud workloads, such a genomic pipelines, involve very large volumes of data. How will data be efficiently moved to the computing resource (s) in the federated cloud?

  • To be answered in Phase 2
    1. Need a detailed budget breakdown, will funds go to Cornell? 
    2. How was the budget of $100,130 determined? 

Decisions:

  • Vote
    • Dave Hart: Phase 2
    • Dave L: Abstain
    • Ron: Phase 2
    • Greg: Proceed
    • Bob: Phase 2
    • John: Proceed
    • Ruth: Proceed
    • Emre: Phase 2
  • Ron will follow up with those not on the call. 
  • Ron will send Phase 2/planning info out to the SMT. 

Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) -  
    • Mao's Finance workshop
      • 1-day workshop was well-received with key-leads in that community 
      • 2nd workshop scheduled for Saturday, July 13 in Boston.
      • Mao has asked for presentations from us. John asked him to poll participants for topics of interest & will determine what is needed from that in terms of presenters.
      • John will not be able to attend but working to have someone else go in his place. 
      • Videos of presentations were posted online
    • Title IX
      • Improving profile of equity/inclusion
      • Training for XSEDE staff. 
      • Can't use Illinois' Title IX training
      • Most of us are at universities that already require this training, so require annual acclimation from staff that they have taken the Title IX training at their local institution. Will have to address cases of partner institutions that don't require this training, but should be only a handful of people. Will allow us to say all of our staff has taken Title IX training. 
    • Met with Bob this week. 
      • Approval for 2 new subawards (I2 & Notre Dame)
      • Approval to remove Nancy & Ralph as co-PIs
  • CEE (Kelly) -   
    •  No update 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) -  
    • Opened Fellows application period yesterday. 
    • ECSS training PIF is still in the works. 

  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) -
    • Working on chart of interconnectedness requested by XAB
    • Future requirements workshop at end of June. Not sure if it's invite only or not. 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Went over XAB feedback on team call
    • Tuesday is Mike Pingleton's last day. Dan Lapine will be acting L3 while they do a search for replacement
    • Requested Duo quote for last 2 years. Will likely turn in as a PIF once quote is received.
    • Making AWS purchase through end of project. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -
    • No update
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
      • Multiple references to best practices & lessons learned in PY9 planning. Tech Report Series is a good place to publish these kinds of documents.
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/
    • PIF window never closes and funds can be accepted anytime
      • L2s asked to encourage their teams to submit ideas 
    • Annual review is June 11-13, 2019. (dry run on June 10)
      • Basic info has been posted to the wiki: 2019 XSEDE2 Panel Review
      • PPT template is linked from the wiki: L2 Area PowerPoint template for the 2019 NSF Panel Review (download and open in PowerPoint).
      • Everyone should plan to be there for the evening of June 12 in case there is homework that night. John will present responses on Thursday but others aren't required to stay for the responses on Thursday morning.  
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - 
    • Sent SPF input to NSF re. follow-on award. Categorized into resources, support, collaboration
    • Good discussion with Dave H & team re. potential changes to accounting system
  • UAC (Emre) - 
    • No update
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - May 9, 2019 

 

  • No labels