3. SP Level Definitions (Shawn Strande)
- (9/11) Added to agenda; Summary of proposed SP level definition revision sent to SMT by Shawn.
- (9/13) Shawn - revisions for SP Levels. L1s large allocated systems. L2s digital service, may have allocation. L3s provide resources or information to the community. Elevate L2 SPs that allocate by mandate (Track 1, Track 2, MRI, etc.)
- Craig - approve of changes; emailed examples
- Bob - SDSC clarification on L2 vs. L3. SDSC is a member by virtue of Comet...BioBurst application necessary or not?
- Dave - the proposed revision shows that Comet could be a member as an L1...SDSC could apply as an L3
- Bob - I like that
- Shawn - just because your "level" drops doesn't meant you drop off the Forum. Would hope that the process of applying doesn't get in the way of joining the Forum
- Dave - XSEDE is actually its own SP via ECSS as an allocated resource as an exofficio member
- Shawn - good idea, in many ways ECSS is taken for granted
- Craig - suggestion to change "one or more digital..." to "one or more cyberinfrastructure service"
- Shawn - L1s and L2s have a CI allocation or service, L3s are opportunities to be listed as part of the XSEDE community
- Emre - L1 could be an organization...if the organization has multiple resources, would they be listed separately? Organization vs. Resource is still not cleared up
- Dave - an L1 could be an organization or resource. SP is the L1, L2, or L3. They provide resources that are allocated by XSEDE to separate the division of labor. The resource vs. the SP
- Sergiu - L1 resources, L2 and L3 organizations
- Victor - when you promote an L2 like an MRI–doesn't get the same operational funding as a Track 1 or Track 2. Language in the L1 "integration appropriate to the award"
- Craig - fixing this in the long run depends on John writing support letters going forward for an MRI applicant and what the expectations are
- Dave - could describe what is required to be an XSEDE allocated resources. Everything else is optional
- Shawn - could give NSF additional guidance as others are funded to integrate with XSEDE and be explicit about what is necessary–catch it during the review process
- Victor - That is a good idea. There needs to be information from XSEDE for proposers and reviewers to know what is required for participating with XSEDE
- Dave - what is the appropriate level of formality to engage with XSEDE? I am keeping my boss informed and we should be ready to explain to NSF what the level of engagement is as well
- Shawn - would like to work with Victor during the annual checks to make sure the memo matches the level of engagement
- Victor - the Guide to Integrating Service Provider Resources into the XSEDE Federation. This would have to be updated if the SP Levels are changed
4. NCAR CISL Level 2 Service Provider Request (Ron Payne)
- (9/13) Added to agenda; NCAR CISL Level 2 Service Provider Request sent to SMT email list on 23-Aug.
- note(9/13) Ron - new request for an L2 SP
5. Postponed: XSEDE SaaS Products Post-XSEDE2 (John W. Towns)
- (8/30) Added to agenda from August Quarterly discussion
- (9/13) Postponed to next SMT call due to John availability.
6. October XAB Webinar (John W. Towns)
- (9/10) Added to agenda; XAB Webinar is: Wed, 10/10 – 12-4pm ET | 11am-3pm CT | 10am-2pm MT | 9am-1pm PT
- noteRon - getting feedback on each L2 area
7. Protocol for shifting effort within an L3 area at XSEDE partner sites (Robert Sinkovits)
- (9/13) Added to agenda; From Bob S: Background - The XSEDEsubawardPIs have flexibility when it comes to shifting effort between staff at their sites, so long as they stay within an L3 area. This is definitely a good thing. It’s important though that the L3 managers be kept in the loop since they may have been relying on a particular XSEDE staff member with specialized knowledge or experience. Being relatively new to XSEDE senior management, I wanted to know (1) if we have a protocol for staffing/effort changes and (2) if so, are allsubawardPIs aware of the protocol.
- (9/13) Bob S - what is the XSEDE protocol for shifting the effort?
- Ron - Program Office currently handles the budget and effort changes. Would be in favor of documenting an official protocol for shifting staff and to prevent surprises
8. XSEDE at SC18 (Kristin Williamson)
- (9/13) Added to agenda; discussion points added below.
For (9/13) Kristin - For discussion, possible SC in-booth events
- “Breakfast of Champions” – join XSEDE Campus Champions from across the country for coffee and cereal and get to see collaborators face-to-face. (Ideally, Tuesday morning.)
- XSEDE Discover More Reception – XSEDE prospective and current users and partners are invited to join us for chips and salsa in the afternoon, and chat with members of the XSEDE team and SPs about how they can get involved, and what XSEDE can mean for their research. This could be a late afternoon (4-6 event) on Tuesday, which is also Family Night.
- Other SC Updates:
- “Discover More” booth updates are now in production with the vendor (Wednesday)
- All campaign communications are in development
- Dave - both events on Tuesday?
- Kristin - one on Tuesday, one on Wednesday
- Shawn - how to reach the XSEDE community
- Kristin - pre-event email invitations and requested RSVP
- Emre - XSEDE wiki page updates reminder for Tiffany
Updates from SMT members:
- PI (John/Ron) - IRIS has submitted an NSF proposal to get funded for broader study of XSEDE economic measures
- CEE (Jennifer on behalf of Kelly) - nothing to report
- ECSS (Bob/Phil) - allocations preparation
- Sergiu - ECSS projects are still limited to 1 year but could be requested to be extended even if the allocation is longer than 1 year
- Bob - will follow up with Dave Hart on this
- XCI (Dave L/Craig) - no updates
- Ops (Greg/Victor) - GDPR impact evaluation on privacy policies; Adam Slagell also leaving NCSA
- Greg - have talked to John about co-L3 and who becomes the Chief Security Officer–value for that person to be at Illinois
- Ron - John is working with NCSA and should have an announcement after talking with Greg
- Victor - renewing roles and responsibilities action from the Quarterly Meeting, also starting discussions about XSEDE draft transition plan
- RAS (Dave H/Ken) - Ken finishing up notifications from XRAC and opening up submission window for the December meeting. RAS having annual planning meeting next week. First XSEDE-published dataset:
- Program Office (Ron/Laura) -
- Laura has accepted a position as Assistant Director for Research Services with Engineering IT Shared Services in the College of Engineering at the University of Illinois. Her last day with NCSA (and XSEDE) will be Friday, 13-September.
- Sub-award amendment process for PY8 funding is underway. Sub-award amendment status can be found on the BusOps wiki: WBS 2.6.4 Business Operations
- Reminder: Close recommendations
- Reminder: Record improvements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
- Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
- Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/
- PIF window never closes and funds can be accepted anytime
- SP Forum (Shawn/Jonathon) - looking for presentations from folks for next meeting
- UAC (Emre) -
- PM&R (Karla/Scott) -
- NSF (Bob) -