Campus Visits PY10 - To be scheduled when Travel Restrictions are Lifted in 2021
- California State University, San Bernardino - lead Rosie Gomez
- October 4, 2019 - introduction to student research faculty & others. Linda Akli, Jay Alameda, Kate Cahill, Rosie Gomez, Je'aime Powell
- February 21, 2020 - workshop planning meeting; faculty survey is underway that will inform the workshop planning
- California State University, Los Angeles - lead Rosie Gomez
- October 5, 2019 - prepare for Spring 2020 Student Training, Linda Akli, Jay Alameda, Kate Cahill, Rosie Gomez, Je'aime Powell
- November 2019 - in-person trainer meeting held at SC to make introductions and provide background
- Schedule developed and listed above
- Session content under development via teleconferences
- Monthly planning calls with CSULA representatives
- Atlanta University Center Consortium Data Science Initiative - lead Linda Akli
- Faculty survey administered
- Agenda development coordinated with faculty committee
- Introductory training to be delivered in January (noted on schedule above)
- In-person faculty committee meeting held after January training workshop to develop better understanding of intermediate and advanced training and support needs
- Albany State University, Albany, GA, February 25 - 26, 2020, planning meetings for curriculum initiative
Campus Visits PY8
- September 25, 2018, Morgan State University, In-Person New User Training presented by Akli & Alameda
- Target new Computer Science faculty at Morgan State
- Additional participants included Coppin State University, Delaware State University, NASA researcher with Howard University student interns, and University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES)
- December 3, 2018, Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, and Spelmani
- Visit to promote January workshop
- Ruby Mendenhall presented seminar on "Recovering Lost History" to Spelman HASS faculty
- Meetings held with CAU Humanities faculty to discuss updating digital humanities course
- January 1/28 - 29, 2019
- March 3/4 & 3/8/2019, UC Santa Barbara Black Studies Research Center
- 3/4 meeting with Sharon Tettegah and staff to prepare for 3/8 workshop
Campus Visits PY7
- April 11, 2018, Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, and Spelman, coordinated by Linda
- Meeting with CAU President and Provost to discuss strategic plans and curriculum initiatives
- Seminar for faculty from all three institutions including XSEDE Overview by Linda and Science Cases by Jay
- Technical consulting with prospective users from all three institutions
- April 18, 2018, California State University Los Angeles, coordinated by Rosie
- Meeting with Data Intensive Research and Education Center for STEM faculty
- Center's overarching goal of recruiting highly competitive, historically under-represented students, giving them direct NASA research experience in scientific computing and data analysis, and inspiring them to become future leaders in STEM-related professions.
- XSEDE training was identified as way to suplement the training provided by local instructors. Primary topics of interest included Intro to Linux/Unix and Python. Additional ones to be determined.
- Planning call schedule to be established once XSEDE trainers are identified.
- This could become a model for working with other CSU campuses and other institutions with funded STEM centers and initiatives for URMs.
Campus Visits PY6
- Dr. Guillermo Araya , Computational Fluid Dynamics: Previous user with an allocation request submitted to the March XRAC. Has access to blue waters for teaching a course and Interested in attending PEARC17.
- Dr. Dorothy Bollman, Mathematics: Current user with installation and environment issues self-installing Pycud in home directory, Jay submitting a ticket to request that Pycuda be installed initially on stampede and subsequently on all GPU systems.
- Dr. Edgar Acuna, Mathematics: Edgar is a previous user of XSEDE resources but wants to now engage as a big data user using Python and Spark. Jay recommended submitting a startup for comet, wrangler and bridges with ECSS support.
- Call set up by Yvonne Harris, Ph.D., Vice Provost, Research and Scholarship, Division of Academic Affairs who was unable to attend call due to illness
- Presented an abbreviated XSEDE Overview What is XSEDE-Akli_02_2017_JMU.pdf
- Referral to Education Program (Kate Cahill) for additional discussion of curriculum, competencies
- Referral to Campus Engagement (Dana Brunson) for campus champions information.
- Since the call, JMU is planning on appointing a campus champion then will begin to develop a plan for training and possible XSEDE awareness events.
- There is one JMU power user who has been using resources managed by TeraGrid and XSEDE.
- Meeting with Jayshree Sarma, Interim Director, Research Computing and XSEDE Campus Champion
- Referral to XSEDE Education: Interest in how to expand Computational and Data Science curriculum at William and Mary, Old Dominion University, George Mason and several of the other smaller institutions.
- Referral to Campus Engagement and Student Programs: Jayshree would also like to offer HPC boot camps for students on her campus. Also participates in a VA consortium that might be interested in a presentation on the XSEDE Education Program. Consortium includes:
- Referral to PEARC17 Website: Interest in students participating in the conference. Some concern about the requirement for partial funding from a student's institution will be a barrier for GMU students.
- Due to the location of GMU and the surrounding population, GMU serves a diverse population including women. Suggested that approaching campus broadening participation programs or centers to make sure XSEDE information about student programs is distributed in a way to reach everyone. CEE-BP and CEE-Campus Engagement can work together to develop strategies and possible events.
- Meeting with Deans and Chairs to introduce XSEDE and discuss curriculum
- Meetings with a variety of campus representatives including IT and Library services
- Outcome, continued support for curriculum activities, potential collaborative proposals, and invitation to present at the Educational Justice Conference in July
Workshops Prior to PY9/PY10/PY11
Workshops - PY8
September 25, 2018, Morgan State University
One day only XSEDE Overview and New User Training presented by Linda Akli and Jay Alameda
Other schools to be invited include Coppin State University, Bowie State University
Based on Dana's contact at the SPACI workshop will try to invite University of Maryland Eastern Shore to workshop and/or schedule campus visit
October 25 - 26, 2018, Clark Atlanta University - Spelman Workshop
Day 1 content was presented
Day 2 content was cancelled due to closing of schools for inclement weather
Day 2 content to be rescheduled per CEE-BP Call notes
March 3/8/2019, UC Santa Barbara Black Studies Research Center
3Intro to XSEDE (Akli), Intro to Computational Thinking (Cahill), New User Training (Alameda)
Follow up items include exploring collaborative proposals and inviting one or two faculty to participate in the PEARC19 ACSC Faculty workshop
Workshops - PY7
October 19 - 21, 2017, South Carolina State University Workshop and Leadership Meeting
Planning team: Akli, Alameda, Cahill, Holly, Rivera, Damian Clarke (SCSU Champion), Joey Brenn (Claflin), and Terris Riley (Clinton College Champion)
Pre-event survey conducted and due to small response, shaped the event as small introductory training event
Registration used and a training allocation with John Holly as allocation manager used for account management (change from past practices)
Participant email included Duo instructions for 2 factor authentication in addition to normal logistics information (change from past practices)
Leadership meeting held at SCSU with the university president and deans. President demonstrated strong support for use of advanced computing and curriculum changes
Follow up events will include a webinar series
Workshops - PY6
Oct - Nov 2016, UPRM Graduate Student Wednesday Afternoon Webinar Series
Nov 2 - Python Part I Antonio Gomez (TACC)
Nov 9 - Intro to Linux, Part II, Daniel Lucio (NICS)
Nov 30 - Python Part II Antonio Gómez (TACC)
Dec 7 - R, David Walling (TACC)
Logistics: Ana Gonzalez (Campus Champion), promoted, obtained lab room, took attendance, onsite proctor
Logistics - Marquez Bland (TACC) set up the XSEDE Zoom conferencing for the event. This appeared to work well.
Logistics - John Holly (SURA) managed registration, provided sign-in sheets to Ana, and monitored the sessions
Logistics - Jay Alameda (NCSA) coordinated resource access
Evaluation: Attendees registered through the portal and attendance marked in the portal
Evaluation: Only a small number of surveys completed. Need to identify how to get a better completion rate for webinars.
Mar 31 - Apr 1 2017, Southern University and A&M College, Multi-Day Workshop & Leadership Meeting
Planning team Akli, Alameda, Cahill, Holly, Rivera, Rachel Vincent-Finley (Campus Champion)
Pre-event survey opened Jan 17, 2016 and closed February 15.
Registration is over 30 participants and based on the campus culture could have significant number of walk ins.
Senior Leadership meetings are scheduled for Thursday, Mar 31. Linda and Kate will present along with Rachel Vincent-Finley, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Sciences and Engineering and Campus Champion.
May 2 - 4 2017, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS, Multi-Day Workshop & Leadership Meeting
Planning team: Akli, Alameda, Cahill, Holly, Rivera, Carmen Wright (Campus Champion)
Pre-event survey opened Sep 8, 2016 and completed.
Registration opened March 21st.
Bi-weekly planning calls are held Thursdays at 2pm eastern on the CEE-BP Skype number starting February 9th.