XSEDE involvement in COVID-19 HPC Consortium
Good June review. Our response to the report was accepted by NSF & funding for next project year was approved.
- Response doc will be circulated to the XAB.
- No major concerns presented by panel. Some good suggestions that we've addressed. Nothing to change our plans for the coming year.
Supplemental year to XSEDE2 was approved, so new project end date is August 31, 2022 with $21.8M in funding.
No solicitation for what will follow XSEDE2 at this point. Hope to see that solicitation no later than first quarter of next calendar year. If not we will have a similar problem to what we had this year.
- John has noted to NSF that it is not productive to request us to submit a bridge proposal
- Believe XSEDE's response to the Blueprint doc may have made them revisit their thinking re. what will follow XSEDE
- NSF leadership hasn't said much other than that they are actively working on the issue. Hope that means they are writing the solicitation, but can't say for sure.
COVID-19 HPC Consortium Update:
- In March XSEDE was approached by OSTP to see if we can manage how the collective consortium resources can be allocated to the community. Quickly stood up instance of XRAS to support consortium and conducted reviews similar as we would in our XAC process. Have ~170 proposals submitted. ~20 returned because of incomplete submissions. ~150 reviewed with ~90 approved. About 1/3 are on XSEDE allocated resources. Others on resources contributed by other consortium members. Starting to see some results.
- Most proposals around molecular biophysics in various forms. Understanding structure & docking, some on small molecule design.
- Less that looks more at drug design, therapeutics, patient care. Consortium leadership has a strong desire to see more work in that space to have more direct impact on the pandemic. This gets a bit sticky as NSF typically doesn't get involved in this kind of work. Have not received guidance from NSF on whether these changes would impact XSEDE's involvement.
- Reluctance by NSF to go this route.
- Incorporating into review more weighting for proposals of this nature.
- Providers come from throughout community including NSF, DOE, Microsoft, AWS, variety of companies like BP. More recently includes some international partners.
- What NSF resources? All XSEDE Allocated resources that can be requested, Frontera, Cheyenne, Chameleon. Decisions are made on the PI's part about whether to participate.
- Have helped with crises in the past. NSF directly involved in making the decision to commit resources. High level NSF commitment before it came to XSEDE.
- Executive Board observes, manages bringing in major partners including OSTP. They are concerned about aspects of the pandemic that aren't being addressed by the consortium. Feel there should be better balance of projects with more therapeutics, patient-oriented work. NSF is nervous but hasn't said we aren't going there. NASA is hesitant as well, but they aren't contributing resources.
- Question to XAB: How should XSEDE conduct itself if NSF pushes away from consortium. Should we push back? How hard?
- Emre: what resources/effort being given by XSEDE?