Child pages
  • WBS 2.3.2 RACD Meetings 2017-07-27 Agenda and Minutes
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

Attendees

Goals

  • Share XSEDE program general updates
  • Share requirements analysis and capability delivery planning activities
  • Share capability integration activity status

Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes
~10minGeneral UpdatesJP & Shava 
~10minUse Case and Capability Delivery Plan UpdatesLee 
40minActivity Status UpdatesShava 

 

General updates

Planning and Reporting

We're working on IPR3 which is due Friday  :

Action items:

News and Announcements

  • XCI has been renamed to XSEDE Cyberinfrastructure Integration
  • XCRI has recently updates regarding the XSEDE Compatible Basic Cluster (XCBC) toolkit: new install at South Dakota State University, tutorial at PEARC17 for how to setup a XCBC cluster on Jetstream, and are testing a new OpenHPC version of XCBC.
  • ACTIONS:
    • Shava Smallen to invite Rich to speak about XCRI software products (XCBC, XINIT, etc.) on future RACD call and explore helping them define associated use cases.

Engineer practices

We need to instrument and track usage for new components

  • JP NavarroJim BasneyLee LimingShava Smallen have started to inventory component usage tracking status so that we can prioritize new metrics collection work; may complete by August.
  • JP Navarro to schedule meeting to discuss results and prioritize which components to instrument this year.


Use Case and Capability Delivery Plan Updates

  • New use case for cloud or identity management reported by Jetstream team, will be added by Lee
    • Ability to allow users to use XSEDE id/password to login to user-managed VMs
  • Currently working on proposed group management use cases based on earlier user needs study.
    • Lee Liming to consolidate (ideally combine a few) group management use cases
  • Venkatesh Yekkirala working on CDP-6 and XCI-125
    • Discussed role of externally supported components like Genesis
    • Jim brought up importance of security contacts – was in XES but then deprecated
    • ACTIONS
      • Jim Basney will send some text to JP on what is needed (replaced by newer action items)
      • JP Navarro will send email to Jim M, Adam, and Gary (replaced by newer action items)
  • ACTIONS:
    • JP Navarro will create use case for CSR user forums under CI use cases
    • Lee Liming working on CDP-9
  • Reminder: Please forward all ideas/suggestions for new features from all sources

Activity Status Updates

Delivered and deployed

XCI-21 Fix and enhance IPF software publishing (Eric Blau)

  • Handed off to Operations 2017-07-07

Pending deployment

In Testing

XCI-6 New SP Resource Integration Testing (Christopher S Irving)

  • Goal: Run the the new SP and new resource integration process and recommend areas of improvement
  • Working closely with Victor in CRI
  • Will be tested by Christopher S Irving
  • Victor mentioned case where SP wanted to know if they build their own versions of XSEDE components, where they can find the list of required features
    • Lee suggested use cases; capability is there now but not filled in
  • TRR completed on 
  • Frontend is installed; Working on package installs now
    • CA certificate package installed with fetch-crl
    • Posted module template for CUE package
    • Working on Globus packages published few issues already
    • Question about what resource id to use for xdresourceid package – Christopher will submit help ticket
    • Found xdusage package has not been updated to the latest release – fixed and then unfixed – Eric will take a look – Christopher will post other xdusage related comments
    • Working with XCDB team to get resource id – will re-use comet
    • Getting package conflicts with globus-client
    • Also documentation assumes everyone knows what and how to generate grid-mapfiles – Jim commented that XCI-36 will address grid-mapfiles for GSISSH and could be generalized
  • 2 issues
    • Globus package depends on udt package from epel repo but now out of date
    • SDSC wants to keep clear separation between production and development environments
  • ACTION:

XCI-139 Update GSI-OpenSSH to address double free memory vulnerability (Venkatesh Yekkirala)

  • Agile activity
  • Galen and Peter are testing

In Development

SDIACT-159 Enable subscribing to XSEDE monitoring information from Inca and Nagios (Shava Smallen)

  • Code completed and testing integration with Information services
  • Pending test plan
  • Waiting on deployment of Nagios plugin 
  • Inca publishing data now; test plan next
  • Inca messages have been updated to have a Validity (seconds) timestamp so can more easily be cleaned from the warehouse
  • The warehouse is now automatically expiring results that have passed their Validity timestamp

SDIACT-226 Assist software provider to deliver Kepler workflow support on XSEDE (Shweta Purawat)

  • Kepler has been installed on VM; developer working on setting up some Bio apps they need for users.
  • Received VM from IU and migrated to Comet
  • kepler.xsede.org VM is now being hosted on Comet with DUO and RSA enabled
  • Install doc completed
  • Working on user doc and test plan

SDIACT-244 Upgrade and transition JIRA for XSEDE2 (Shava Smallen)

  • JP Navarro got mysql replication working between primary and backup servers
  • Gary has also setup Confluence
  • Added new notification plugin for PM team
  • JIRA 7.3 was recently released
  • Gary is working on service containers to make it easier to backup and restore
  • Setup staging and development servers

XCI-36 Enable L3 resource logins via XSEDE using login allocations (Jim Basney)

  • Will provide grid-mapfile setup instructions that can be referenced by other components (e.g., gridftp)
  • RDR is ready to accept L3 SP/campus resource descriptions; Colorado Boulder has already registered their login resource
  • XRAS has been setup with new allocation type and opportunities
  • Pub/Sub service is ready to transport account+allocation packets to/from campus SPs
  • Operations is setting up a new L3 SP domain for Colorado (needed when a campus can’t easily obtain their own XSEDE accepted host certificates)
  • A3M team is implementing streamlined AMIE packet transport using Pub/Sub
  • Testing with NICS and Colorado
  • ACTIONS
    • JP Navarro Invite XRAS folks to Thurs call next week to discuss schedule and implementation plans
    • Derek Simmel help Colorado install and configure GSI OpenSSH
    • Victor is helping Colorado obtain a *.colorado.xsede.org host certificate from XSEDE
    • A3M is helping Colorado configure new streamlined AMIE packet transport – planned for next week

XCI-2 Document how Science Gateways can use XSEDE Identity Management (Lee Liming)

  • Two documents are now available.
    1. User authentication service for XSEDE science gateways
    2. Technical overview of public XSEDE authentication services
  • Next step is to "publish" the documents (so they can be referenced in the test plan) and move the activity to testing.
    • Q: How do we make these docs available in the CSR?
      • JP suggested that the "technical overview" doc should be made available via the CSR "installable software components" area where other design docs and materials are provided. How does this work?
      • What about the "use authentication service" doc? Do we have a recommended public place to publish documents for developers?
    • Lee Liming figure out how to make docs available in CSR
    • Lee Liming draft test plan and move the activity to testing
      • Propose that a test team member Globus Auth-enable a Wordpress site

XCI-19 Implement Initial XSEDE Community Software Repository and Information Services (JP Navarro)

  • At https://software.xsede.org/
  • In Agile development
  • Alpha testing the ability to register software capabilities manually for gateways and one software provider
  • Need to discuss store front and graphics
  • Presented resources status views and APIs to the science gateways group and recorded improvement requests in JIRA
  • Rolled out new Discussion Forums feature and subscriptions

XCI-27 Incremental Resource Description Repository (RDR) fixes and enhancements (JP Navarro)

  • Dave Hart and JP will be contacting the RDR folks to get a better idea of their roadmap for PY7
  • Failover server is almost complete - tested failover on Wednesday.  Had some SSL issues that should be resolved now.  Will test again soon.
  • Start on RDR to XDCDB acct schema integration next week.  This will be helpful when level 3 providers start "allocating" resources for XCI-36

XCI-44 Incremental Pub/Sub (RabbitMQ) fixes, enhancements, and support

XCI-127 Impact Analysis: Support for open source Globus Toolkit will end as of January 2018

  • We held a BoF at PEARC17 with external collaborator participations (OSG, EGI); interest in sharing impacts and plans
  • Some infrastructures will support GSI, MyProxy and other required components beyond what Globus will support
  • Working closely with the Globus team to address GSI OpenSSH use cases
  • Considering exploring Condor to address broader Gateway job submission and management requirements
  • High-level schedule
    • Impact analysis, plan, and initial testing by the end of 2017
    • Upgrades/replacements, ready for deployment by the end of June 2018
    • Upgrades/replacements are in production by the end of December 2018
  • ACTIONS

In Design

SDIACT-207 Adapt INCA to information services changes (Shava Smallen)

  • Launched on  
  • CentOS 7 migration of SDSC server finished
  • Almost wrapped up with changes – need to document

XCI-7 Review and improve Confluence and JIRA authorization configuration (Warren Raquel)

  • Warren recommended creating a staff and WBS group and a few other admin suggestions
  • ACTION(S)
    • Shava Smallen to assess document and possible solutions for identified issues
    • JP Navarro: Start DSR (Deb volunteered to be a reviewer)

XCI-45 Prepare initial Group management requirements, use cases, and plans (Lee Liming)

  • See use case status above.

Launch

 

In Planning 

XCI-43 XSEDE-UIUC/campus infrastructure information services federation pilot

  • Collaboration has narrowed to a specific area

New Activities from CDPs: