Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XAB (John Towns / Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Laura - will need another science rep, so please send John suggestions
  • (6/23) Ron - will also need to assign a chair
  • (7/8) Ron - Per PEP chair assignment expected by fall 2016 
  • (8/4) 
    • Rotating 3 members off and will be requested a new under-represented team member
    • Next meeting 8/17 and will update them on Review and award process, the Project Improvement Plan process, NSCI and XSEDE's Role, and XAB expectations (including assigning a Chair, and a short written summary of meeting calling out)
  • (8/18) John - XAB yesterday and provided update to date. Discussed the Project Improvement Fund process Ron drafted; will get broader XSEDE feedback as well before PY7 planning process. Also discussed naming an XAB Chairperson who would also write a Summary Report for each meeting. NSCI and the role of XSEDE tabled to next meeting. 
  • Following-up with XAB members to reaffirm commitment and request chairperson nominations
  • Next XAB meeting is 5-Oct; Need input on additional topics: 2016-10-05 Meeting notes

Discussion:

  • (9/29) 18 candidates (9 carryover & 9 new) identified for the open XAB chair
  • (9/29) 7 of 12 members have acknowledged expectations and provided feedback on chairperson (1 volunteer)
  • (9/29) Reminder: next XAB meeting is 5-Oct; Need input on additional topics
  • (9/29) Ralph - ECSS priorities as an XAB topic (2nd or 3rd)
  • (9/29) Dave H - policy review recommendations

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • (8/18) John - send list of new XAB names to SMT for input
  • (9/15) John to send list of names to Ron - complete
  • (9/15) L2 - what strategic questions do you want to present to XAB?

 

3. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • (8/18) Karla - schedule for the final report coming together before SC and due in October. XSEDE2 reporting process documentation and new set of instructions, template, etc. Planning process will quickly follow.
  • (9/15) Scott - KPI and metrics appendix almost complete for final report as well as the response to the panel review
  • (9/15) John - will have a PI-level coordinated panel response
  • (9/15) Scott - working on template for first IPR

Discussion:

  • (9/29) Karla - panel response due next Wednesday 10/5; Leslie Morsek sending email 9/29

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

4. XSEDE2 Wiki Discusion (Karla Gendler)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - August 18, 2016
  • (8/18) Karla - previous wiki hosted separate sites for UAC, etc. Janet is preparing a list of questions we need to get answered
  • (8/18) John - what is the policy on public access to pages?
  • Personnel information, security, group meeting notes and more should remain private
  • Group meeting notes should be public or in the very least decisions and actions public
  • Rudi - need to see how input provided affected decisions made
  • (9/15) Scott - watch for wiki policy document. Wiki currently going through security review.
  • Dave - team calendaring solution?
    • Scott - yes, considering a plug-in and will get an update

Discussion:

  • (9/29) Karla - will bring policy to SMT for review. Recommendations for accounts for non-XSEDE staff

Decisions:

 

Actions:


5. XSEDE17 Conference Update (David Hart)

Previously:

  • (8/4) Dave - XSEDE17 and independence from XSEDE
    • No funding from XSEDE and not a formal deliverable under XSEDE2
    • UIUC's responsibility as a steward of XSEDE as a deliverable
    • Sponsors may take issue with the name change if not described as a continuation
    • Conference branding, XSEDE.org for mailing lists, wiki pages, website, etc.
    • Staff participation is volunteer only and make sure local supervisor pays for travel understands daily duties and travel
    • Campus Champions may have to submit a proposal to participate, for example, if totally separate
    • Sponsorship and whether XSEDE is a sponsor to maintain the connection
    • Evaluation and XSEDE
    • Networking was in Tim's SOW ACTION need to clarify this
    • Dave, Sergiu, Kelly need to talk to IEEE ACTION
    • Contract in place very soon, might need an interim webpage as a starting point for the rebranding exercise
  • John 
    • Suggests a parallel session at the quarterly meeting ACTION Laura
    • Independent website
    • As the PI I strongly encourage involvement in this conference
    • Question of travel charged to XSEDE
    • Additional discussion needed
    • Will also have Program Officer change
  • (8/18) Dave - committee is progressing. IEEE planning guide showed that we are 15 months behind. An official name is needed very soon.
    • John - PIs isolating list
    • Dave - webpage and language from John endorsing value of conference transition
  • (9/15) Dave - UCAR can accept sponsored funds. Committee is rounding out. Have a hotel contract. CFP being edited
  • (9/15) John - naming: conversation with Advancing Research Computing on Campuses (ARCC) group. They have meeting in March. This group could have a campus-level track. Objectives are correct, we have not brought in enough of the players and defined participation. 
    • Could be aggressive and move forward with renaming and rescoping, dragging folks along
    • Defer a year and use next year as a well-proclaimed transition
  • (9/15) Sergiu - XSEDE17; '18 would be the new name or XSEDE18?
    • John - '18 would be the rebranding year. Any first year is going to be an attendance challenge
  • (9/15) John - realizing there are other groups who may or may not want to co-locate as well
    • International: PRACE, EGI, ComputeCanada, Riken
  • (9/15) Dave - hotel space is not an issue to expand
  • (9/15) Laura - will get clarification from NCSA, but was mentioned that the award may need to be reduced by the amount of any program income taken in from an XSEDE-named conferenece (program income is considered sponsorships and registration dollars)

Discussion:

  • (9/29) Dave - 6 invitations and 6 accepts. Logistics proposals. Sponsorships beginning including CASC. LCI presentation.
  • (9/29) John - groups think we are moving too fast toward the name change, so need to move away from an XSEDE-named conference

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Dave write 1-page version of scope and intent of conference


6. SP Forum and XSEDE Federation (Dan)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Victor - letters of intent on wiki, SP Forum membership on website--they don't match
    • Laura - working with Dana Brunson to make sure going forward on XSEDE2 it is; will follow up
  • Dan - Vice chair, Jim Lupo retired 6/30.  J. Ray Scott is the new chair

  • Dan - Gathering guidance on discussion about how XSEDE brand can help L3 members.  L3 Information has been collected and added to SW registry.

  • ACTION Add Ray to these meetings and email distribution list
  • Pilot for account mechanisms and XCI process
  • Stanford and South Dakota now members
  • Victor - Greg submitting NICS as L2 soon; ACTION meet with Amy and Dave to map out
  • Dan - Not all federation members understand change from X1 to X2, request is for each L2 to attend a call in Aug or Sept to provide 15 min describe changes in their area from XSEDE 1 to XSEDE 2.  Calls are Thurs. @ 4pm ET.  L2's please contact Dan directly to schedule a time.
  • LOIs received from PSC for Bridges and NICS to renew as a Level 2 provider.
  • (9/15) J Ray - Bridges LOI and XSEDE2 as a theme with L2 and L3 managers reporting. Recommending SSO be extended to L3 members, and Victor is championing that effort. Continuing to take input on Program Plan

Discussion:

  • (9/29) Victor - 2 new membership requests; NICS will update and resubmit. 3 SPs interested in piloting RAS
  • (9/29) J Ray - technical presentation description of tool for testing GridFTP performance bilaterally between all storage resources. Authenticated information services. Working on wiki and web transition.

Decisions:

 

Actions:



7. XSEDE Code of Conduct  (Ron Payne)

Previously:

Discussion:

  • (9/29) Ralph - bad idea, better left unsaid and a major distraction. We ar enot a legal entity
  • (9/29) Dave L - perhaps reach out to person's supervisor when incident occurs. Documented procedures for recourse
  • (9/29) Kelly - proactive way to saying this organization does not tolerate this type of behavior. Statement of inclusion and not allowing inappropriate behavior to go on.
  • (9/29) Dave L - NSF has responsibility of research for students
  • (9/29) Victor - formal orientation toward the statement with links to institutional statements
  • (9/29) John - develop a more-general statement and expectation of behavior and complying with code of conduct at their institutions. Disciplinary action will be taken where appropriate in conjunction with home institution.
  • (9/29) Sergio - recourse could be to remove funding
  • (9/29) Ralph - governed by NSF

Decisions:

  • (9/29) John - develop a more-general statement and expectation of behavior and complying with code of conduct at their institutions. Disciplinary action will be taken where appropriate in conjunction with home institution. ACTION


8. XSEDE2 Budget & Sub-Award Processing (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Purpose: Provide status and discuss any SMT level point regarding the XSEDE 2 budget approval and sub-award processing.
  • Added to agenda 15-Sep.
  • Two partner institutions (TACC & U Chicago) reviewing draft SOW Guidance letters.
  • Budget to be submitted to PIs for review and approval as soon as all draft SOW Guidance letters are approved
  • Draft WBS Effort Budget sent to L2s and L3s for review
  • Business Office pre-loading documents and tools to expidite the sub-award processing
  • Preemptive collection of partner institution paperwork beginning Fri. 16-Sept or Mon. 19-Sept.

Discussion:

  • (9/29) PY6 budget sent to PIs for review on 26-Sept.

Decisions:

  • (9/29) PIs approve budget as intitutions approved

Actions:

  • Feedback/approval on PY6 budget due from PIs Wed. 28-Sept.


9. Project Improvement Fund Process (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Purpose: Provide status and discuss any SMT level point regarding the XSEDE Project Improvement Fund Process.
  • Added to agenda 15-Sep.
  • Initial draft of process reviewed by XAB and XSEDE leadership.
  • Updated draft to be released for review next week.
  • SP&E team creating the supporting documentation for process.
  • Program Office is collecting potential Project Review Board (PRB) members from SMT

Discussion:

  • (9/29) 13-Oct target for SMT approval of updated process flow and PRB member assignments.
  • (9/29) Looking at XRAS to determine the cost/work required to use it as PIF Management Tool
    • Suggestions from many to use ligher-weight process like JIRA or Excel

Decisions:

 

Actions:


10. Hardware Funding (Victor Hazlewood

Previously:

  • Purpose: Discuss the new XSEDE 2 process for non-FTE hardware funding.
  • Added to agenda 29-Sep.

Discussion:

  • (9/29) Victor - non-FTE funds for licensing and software previously. 
  • (9/29) John - need to track those funds
  • (9/29) ACTION Victor and Ron work together to track that for Ops

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • ACTION Victor schedule a call to consider AWS, etc.


Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) 
  • CEE (Kelly/Scott) 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu) 
    • Dealing with those who have volunteered time for ECSS
    • JIRA demo
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig)
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) 
    • New ticket queues transition
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) 
    • Planning meeting and agile software development training
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura)
  • SP Forum (Dan)
  • UAC (Emre)
    • Had a good meeting earlier this week; recording will be turned to transcription
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) 
  • NSF (Rudi)

 

Next Meeting:  October 13, 2016

  • No labels