Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - May 24, 2018
  • (6/21) Scott - about half-way through the current reporting cycle that runs May through July. Timelines will go out in July for an August report prep time.
  • (6/21) Ron - Annual Report was approved, and it has been loaded into IDEALS
  • (7/19) Karla - IPR L2 text due to project managers 8/9. Got an extension from NSF, final due 8/22. Email from Leslie Morsek coming early next week during PEARC. Questions from John via your PM around 8/15, please be responsive.
  • (8/2) Karla - IPR cycle starting this week and the final is due 8/22. 8/8 is when L2/L3 text due. Template has changed, text should convey the story about the metrics as if presenting to NSF panel.
  • (8/16) Karla - IPR in progress. Submission should be on target for next week.
  • (8/16) John - new report format is more digestible. Will be commenting more on the L3 portions, so watch for improvements there.
  • (8/16) Karla - Quarterly would be a good time to discuss\
  • (9/13) Karla - revised reporting schedule getting approved by PM&R and then will give to John to share with Bob. Next IPR will be due during SC18. Email will go out first week of October.

Discussion:

  • d

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 


3. SP Level Definitions (Shawn Strande

Previously:

  • (9/11) Added to agenda; Summary of proposed SP level definition revision sent to SMT by Shawn.
  • (9/13) Shawn - revisions for SP Levels. L1s large allocated systems. L2s digitalservice, may have allocation. L3s provide resources or information to the community. Elevate L2 SPs that allocate by mandate (Track 1, Track 2, MRI, etc.)
  • Craig - approve of changes; emailed examples
  • Bob - SDSC clarification on L2 vs. L3. SDSC is a member by virtue of Comet...BioBurst application necessary or not?
  • Dave - the proposed revision shows that Comet could be a member as an L1...SDSC could apply as an L3
  • Bob - I like that
  • Shawn - just because your "level" drops doesn'tmeantyou drop off the Forum. Would hope that the process of applying doesn't get in the way of joining the Forum
  • Dave - XSEDE is actually its own SP via ECSS as an allocated resource as anexofficiomember
  • Shawn - good idea, in many ways ECSS is taken for granted
  • Craig - suggestion to change "one or more digital..." to "one or more cyberinfrastructure service"
  • Shawn - L1s and L2s have a CI allocation or service, L3s are opportunities to be listed as part of the XSEDE community
  • Emre - L1 could be an organization...if the organization has multiple resources, would they be listed separately? Organization vs. Resource is still not cleared up
  • Dave - an L1 could be an organization or resource. SP is the L1, L2, or L3. They provide resources that are allocated by XSEDE to separate the division of labor. The resource vs. the SP
  • Sergiu - L1 resources, L2 and L3 organizations
  • Victor - when you promote an L2 like an MRI–doesn't get the same operational funding as a Track 1 or Track 2. Language in the L1 "integration appropriate to the award"
  • Craig - fixing thisin the long rundepends on John writing support letters going forward for an MRI applicant and what the expectations are
  • Dave - could describe what is required to be an XSEDE allocated resources. Everything else is optional
  • Shawn - could give NSF additional guidance as others are funded to integrate with XSEDE and be explicit about what is necessary–catch it during the review process
  • Victor - That is a good idea. There needs to be information from XSEDE for proposers and reviewers to know what is required for participating with XSEDE
  • Dave - what is the appropriate level of formality to engage with XSEDE? I am keeping my boss informed and we should be ready to explain to NSF what the level of engagement is as well
  • Shawn - would like to work with Victor during the annual checks to make sure the memo matches the level of engagement
  • Victor - the Guide to Integrating Service Provider Resources into the XSEDE Federation. This would have to be updated if the SP Levels are changed

Discussion:

  • note

Decisions:

  • note


4. NCAR CISL Level 2 Service Provider Request (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (9/13) Added to agenda; NCAR CISL Level 2 Service Provider Request sent to SMT email list on 23-Aug.
  • (9/13) Ron - new request for an L2 SP

Discussion:

  • note

Decisions:

  • note

 

5. October XAB Webinar (John W. Towns

Previously:

  • (9/10) Added to agenda; XAB Webinar is: Wed, 10/10 – 12-4pm ET | 11am-3pm CT |  10am-2pm MT | 9am-1pm PT
  • Ron - getting feedback on each L2 area

Discussion:

  • note

Decisions:

  • note

 

6. October UAC Meeting Topics (Emre Brookes

Previously:

  • (9/25) Added to agenda

Discussion:

  • note

Decisions:

  • note

 

Status updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • SP Forum (Shawn/Jonathon) -
  • UAC (Emre) - 
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) - 
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - October 11, 2018

 

  • No labels