Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. PEARC17 (F.K.A. XSEDE17) Conference Update (David Hart) & PEARC18 Conference Update (Sergiu Sanielevici

Previously:

  • Notes on topic from meetings prior to 9/15 have been archived - see prior meeting notes for details. 
  • (9/15) Dave - UCAR can accept sponsored funds. Committee is rounding out. Have a hotel contract. CFP being edited
  • (9/15) John - naming: conversation with Advancing Research Computing on Campuses (ARCC) group. They have meeting in March. This group could have a campus-level track. Objectives are correct, we have not brought in enough of the players and defined participation. 
    • Could be aggressive and move forward with renaming and rescoping, dragging folks along
    • Defer a year and use next year as a well-proclaimed transition
  • (9/15) Sergiu - XSEDE17; '18 would be the new name or XSEDE18?
    • John - '18 would be the rebranding year. Any first year is going to be an attendance challenge
  • (9/15) John - realizing there are other groups who may or may not want to co-locate as well
    • International: PRACE, EGI, ComputeCanada, Riken
  • (9/15) Dave - hotel space is not an issue to expand
  • (9/15) Laura - will get clarification from NCSA, but was mentioned that the award may need to be reduced by the amount of any program income taken in from an XSEDE-named conference (program income is considered sponsorship and registration dollars)
  • (9/29) Dave - 6 invitations and 6 accepts. Logistics proposals. Sponsorships beginning including CASC. LCI presentation.
  • (9/29) John - groups think we are moving too fast toward the name change, so need to move away from an XSEDE-named conference
  • (10/13) Sergiu - '18 will be in Pittsburgh
  • (10/13) John - steering committee and press release preparations. Have met with 3 of the 16 community members. Feedback has all been very good. Okay with moving ahead quickly, just making sure to not mis-step along the way. Have commitments from a few steering committee members. Will connect partners to Kristin to get quotes. Press releases will come from XSEDE and followed by press release to PEARC17; will also have an open letter to the community from John.
  • (10/13) Kristin - will have a basic webpage ready at the time of the press release as well
  • (10/13) John - will need a parent site as well with Steering Committee, charter, etc. ACTION

Discussion:

  • (10/27) The SMT may want to consider designating someone to coordinate XSEDE's presence at PEARC17 (which should be considerably less effort than the similar role for SCxy).

  • (10/27) John - XSEDE coordination needed (e.g. XSEDE participation, Transition of student program needs to be understood (Kelly))
  • (10/27) John - Steering committee is mostly identified with a few remaining conversations/commitments to occur. 
  • (10/27) John - Preferred route is professional society association (IEEE or ACM), alternate route is to pursue NFP establishment

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • (10/27) John - Need press release to go out ASAP from ER.  Ron to contact ER for alternate contact

3. XAB (John Towns / Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Laura - will need another science rep, so please send John suggestions
  • (6/23) Ron - will also need to assign a chair
  • (7/8) Ron - Per PEP chair assignment expected by fall 2016 
  • (8/4) 
    • Rotating 3 members off and will be requested a new under-represented team member
    • Next meeting 8/17 and will update them on Review and award process, the Project Improvement Plan process, NSCI and XSEDE's Role, and XAB expectations (including assigning a Chair, and a short written summary of meeting calling out)
  • (8/18) John - XAB yesterday and provided update to date. Discussed the Project Improvement Fund process Ron drafted; will get broader XSEDE feedback as well before PY7 planning process. Also discussed naming an XAB Chairperson who would also write a Summary Report for each meeting. NSCI and the role of XSEDE tabled to next meeting. 
  • Following-up with XAB members to reaffirm commitment and request chairperson nominations
  • Next XAB meeting is 5-Oct; Need input on additional topics: 2016-10-05 Meeting notes
  • (9/29) 18 candidates (9 carryover & 9 new) identified for the open XAB chair
  • (9/29) 7 of 12 members have acknowledged expectations and provided feedback on chairperson (1 volunteer)
  • (9/29) Reminder: next XAB meeting is 5-Oct; Need input on additional topics
  • (9/29) Ralph - ECSS priorities as an XAB topic (2nd or 3rd)
  • (9/29) Dave H - policy review recommendations
  • (10/05) Karin Remington voted in as XAB Chairperson 
  • (10/13) 5-Oct. XAB meeting went very well.  Notes of meeting can be found on wiki at: 2016-10-05 Meeting notes
  • (10/13) XAB nominations reviewed by PIs and ready for a vote
  • (10/13) Next XAB meeting is scheduled for 14-Dec.
  • (10/13) 2017 XAB meeting schedule in-process
  • (10/13) Ron sent out XAB nominations to SMT for voting.

Discussion:

  • (10/27) Voting results (communicated on the call and sent to John for initiating contact)
    • Sandra Harpole - MSU (11 pts) 
    • Toni Collis - U Edinburgh (7 pts)
    • tie for 3rd (4 pts): Borries Demeler - UT Health Science Center, Parker Antin - U Arizona, & Dan Reed - Iowa
  • (10/27) Draft summary of 5-Oct meeting from Karin is over to John for review.

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

4. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • (8/18) Karla - schedule for the final report coming together before SC and due in October. XSEDE2 reporting process documentation and new set of instructions, template, etc. Planning process will quickly follow.
  • (9/15) Scott - KPI and metrics appendix almost complete for final report as well as the response to the panel review
  • (9/15) John - will have a PI-level coordinated panel response
  • (9/15) Scott - working on template for first IPR
  • (9/29) Karla - panel response due next Wednesday 10/5; Leslie Morsek sending email 9/29
  • (10/13) Karla - IPR due during SC on 11/17, will see communication soon. Also the XSEDE final report and the Panel Reponse report is completing.

Discussion:

  • (10/27) Final Report updates: Scott L. to work w/Kelly on CEE edits.  These are needed ASAP; John has questions requiring resolution prior to submitting
  • (10/27) John reviewing TIS report
  • (10/27) John reviewing panel responses

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

5. XSEDE2 Wiki Discusion (Karla Gendler)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - August 18, 2016
  • (8/18) Karla - previous wiki hosted separate sites for UAC, etc. Janet is preparing a list of questions we need to get answered
  • (8/18) John - what is the policy on public access to pages?
  • Personnel information, security, group meeting notes and more should remain private
  • Group meeting notes should be public or in the very least decisions and actions public
  • Rudi - need to see how input provided affected decisions made
  • (9/15) Scott - watch for wiki policy document. Wiki currently going through security review.
  • Dave - team calendaring solution?
    • Scott - yes, considering a plug-in and will get an update
  • (9/29) Karla - will bring policy to SMT for review. Recommendations for accounts for non-XSEDE staff
  • (10/13) Karla - will bring policy to SMT for review. Recommendations for accounts for non-XSEDE staff

Discussion:

(10/27) Karla: Janet has sent the policy doc to Maytal and JP for review; Also awaiting security audit input.

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

6. SP Forum and XSEDE Federation (Dan)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Victor - letters of intent on wiki, SP Forum membership on website--they don't match
    • Laura - working with Dana Brunson to make sure going forward on XSEDE2 it is; will follow up
  • Dan - Vice chair, Jim Lupo retired 6/30.  J. Ray Scott is the new chair

  • Dan - Gathering guidance on discussion about how XSEDE brand can help L3 members.  L3 Information has been collected and added to SW registry.

  • ACTION Add Ray to these meetings and email distribution list
  • Pilot for account mechanisms and XCI process
  • Stanford and South Dakota now members
  • Victor - Greg submitting NICS as L2 soon; ACTION meet with Amy and Dave to map out
  • Dan - Not all federation members understand change from X1 to X2, request is for each L2 to attend a call in Aug or Sept to provide 15 min describe changes in their area from XSEDE 1 to XSEDE 2.  Calls are Thurs. @ 4pm ET.  L2's please contact Dan directly to schedule a time.
  • LOIs received from PSC for Bridges and NICS to renew as a Level 2 provider.
  • (9/15) J Ray - Bridges LOI and XSEDE2 as a theme with L2 and L3 managers reporting. Recommending SSO be extended to L3 members, and Victor is championing that effort. Continuing to take input on Program Plan
  • (9/29) Victor - 2 new membership requests; NICS will update and resubmit. 3 SPs interested in piloting RAS
  • (9/29) J Ray - technical presentation description of tool for testing GridFTP performance bilaterally between all storage resources. Authenticated information services. Working on wiki and web transition.
  • (10/13) Dan - VM interconnectivity on OpenStack between Bridges and Jetstream to start.

Discussion:

  • (10/27) Last mtg topic was allocations, Dave Hart participated
  • (10/27) NSF concern about Jetstream and Wrangler allocation; recalibrating allocation proposal's definition of SU to 
  • (10/27) New L3 LOI from U Houston received by Dan and forwarded to Ron for processing

Decisions:

  • (10/27) NICS LOI disposition: Approved; Acceptance letter to be sent to NICS

Actions:



7. XSEDE Code of Conduct  (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Purpose: Discussion on the creation and communication of an XSEDE Code of Conduct.
  • Added to agenda 15-Sep.
  • Draft Code of Conduct created and sent to PIs for review by Laura T. Herriott
  • (9/29) Ralph - bad idea, better left unsaid and a major distraction. We ar enot a legal entity
  • (9/29) Dave L - perhaps reach out to person's supervisor when incident occurs. Documented procedures for recourse
  • (9/29) Kelly - proactive way to saying this organization does not tolerate this type of behavior. Statement of inclusion and not allowing inappropriate behavior to go on.
  • (9/29) Dave L - NSF has responsibility of research for students
  • (9/29) Victor - formal orientation toward the statement with links to institutional statements
  • (9/29) John - develop a more-general statement and expectation of behavior and complying with code of conduct at their institutions. Disciplinary action will be taken where appropriate in conjunction with home institution.
  • (9/29) Sergio - recourse could be to remove funding
  • (9/29) Ralph - governed by NSF
  • (9/29) John - develop a more-general statement and expectation of behavior and complying with code of conduct at their institutions. Disciplinary action will be taken where appropriate in conjunction with home institution. ACTION - complete
  • (10/13) discussion of comments and suggestions to alternate wording:
  • (10/7) Ron sent an email to SMT members to add link to institution's code of conduct.  If alternate wording approved, Ron to follow-up with sub-award PIs to populate Code of Conduct link for all sub-awards. 
  • (10/14) wording aproved

Discussion:

  • (10/27) All links to partner institution Codes of Conduct received,  Approved Code of Conduct added to XSEDE Policies and Procedures wiki page.

Decisions:

  • (10/27) Topic Closed

Actions:


8. XSEDE2 Budget & Sub-Award Processing (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Purpose: Provide status and discuss any SMT level point regarding the XSEDE 2 budget approval and sub-award processing.
  • Added to agenda 15-Sep.
  • Two partner institutions (TACC & U Chicago) reviewing draft SOW Guidance letters.
  • Budget to be submitted to PIs for review and approval as soon as all draft SOW Guidance letters are approved
  • Draft WBS Effort Budget sent to L2s and L3s for review
  • Business Office pre-loading documents and tools to expidite the sub-award processing
  • Preemptive collection of partner institution paperwork beginning Fri. 16-Sept or Mon. 19-Sept.
  • (9/29) PY6 budget sent to PIs for review on 26-Sept.
  • (9/29) PIs approve budget as intitutions approved
  • (10/13) SOW Guidance letters sent to all sub-awards; completed documentation received from ten sub-awards, to date. (BusOps Wiki)

Discussion:

  • (10/27) Awaiting supporting documentation from 4 partner institutions (Indiana, TACC, U Ark, U OK)
  • (10/27) U Illinois OSP expects to begin sending sub-awards for review and signature next week

Decisions:

Actions:

 

9. Project Improvement Fund Process (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Purpose: Provide status and discuss any SMT level point regarding the XSEDE Project Improvement Fund Process.
  • Added to agenda 15-Sep.
  • Initial draft of process reviewed by XAB and XSEDE leadership.
  • Updated draft to be released for review next week.
  • SP&E team creating the supporting documentation for process.
  • Program Office is collecting potential Project Review Board (PRB) members from SMT
  • (9/29) 13-Oct target for SMT approval of updated process flow and PRB member assignments.
  • (9/29) Looking at XRAS to determine the cost/work required to use it as PIF Management Tool
    • Suggestions from many to use ligher-weight process like JIRA or Excel
  • (10/13) XAB updates and SP&E updates made in the slide deck.  Flowcharts being added to slide deck and will be sent to PIs for approval (SMT copied).
  • (10/13) Lighter weight flow and tool will be used.
  • (10/13) Ron sent approach and process flow to PIs for approval by 14-Oct.

Discussion:

  • (10/27) Requesting approval to move forward with proposed approach

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • (10/27) Ron to resend request for feedback and approval


10. Revisions to XSEDE Acceptable Use Policy (Sergiu Sanielevici / David Hart

Previously:

 

 "By using resources associated with an XSEDE allocation, you agree to comply with the following conditions of use. Violations of XSEDE policies and/or service provider policies can result in loss of access to resources. Activities in violation of any laws may be reported to the proper authorities for investigation and prosecution."

 

    • #7 to read: "Each PI is responsible for all users who have access to XSEDE-allocated resources on the PI's XSEDE allocation and will ensure that all such users abide by the terms of this AUP." 
  • Reference email sent to leadership mail list on Thur., 6-Oct.
  • Added to agenda 13-Oct. 

Discussion:

  • (10/27) Greg has sent proposed working update to SMT for review and approval.  All those on the call approved.  
  • (10/27) If approved, Greg will work w/Maytal to get the update communicated and topic will be closed.

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • (10/27) Ron to follow-up with L2s not on the call to request their disposition.

Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) 
  • CEE (Kelly/Scott) 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu)
    • ECSS call: project assignments, reporting deadlines, JIRA rollout 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig)
    • Community Software Repository Portal almost ready
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) 
    • Cloud services discussions continue
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) 
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura)
  • SP Forum (Dan) 
  • UAC (Emre)
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) 
  • NSF (Rudi)

Record improvements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/edit#gid=0

Next Meeting:  November 10, 2016

  • No labels