Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

  • XAB call was held yesterday  

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells

Previously:

Discussion:

  • (9/28) Proposed XSEDE2 reporting schedule reviewed by John and sent to the SMT for review and approval.
  • (10/11) Provide more time for completion & avoid conflicts. 
    • Will require update to PEP. 
    • John has informed Bob that this is coming. 
    • IPR7 work will occur during SC18, but most of the difficulty will fall to John. 

Decisions:

  • Decision to move forward with proposed new schedule. 

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

 

Status updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Held a strategic planning meeting last week in Washington.  
      • Results of stakeholder alignment survey
        • Verify strategic goals align with stakeholder goals
        • Assessment of difficulty in accomplishing goal. Good data on what is important and what is hard. Different classes of respondents perceive some of these things differently
        • Asked most important thing XSEDE should continue to do.  Must-haves:
          • Access to HPC resources
          • Infrastructure supporting ecosystem 
          • Training & workforce development
        • Good to have validation of priorities. 
      • The above will inform draft transition plan. Make sure plan is focused on most important elements of XSEDE. 
        • Considered scenarios of possible follow-ons of XSEDE 2.0
          • Similar type of project funded at reduced budget; forced us to consider highest priorities & what could be let go
    • John spoke with Gwen Jacobs (ACCI chair) about what kinds of discussions they're having, can XSEDE help to inform those or induce agenda items. They meet 2x/yr and provide recommendations & guidance to NSF.  Current membership doesn't include many who know much about CI. John offered to present to ACCI about XSEDE activities, and she is open to that as well as input about what they should discuss in their next meeting (in 6 mos). 
    • John spoke with Manish Parashar (OAC director).  Thought process with respect to follow on solicitation. Discussions have just begun. He expects 4-6 mos for major decisions to be made.  He was open to John providing input to that process. Offered option of John to meet with them to brainstorm in late Oct. or early Nov. If that happens John will be asking for more info from this group to help prepare him.  NSF hasn't been open to this type of input previously so this is welcome.  May also have community workshops to gather input from the community. 
    • John had an article recently published in CiSE entitled "Toward an Open, Sustainable National Advanced Computing Ecosystem" that might be of interest to read.  https://doi.org/10.1109/MCSE.2018.05329814
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Update on Workforce Development provided by Jennifer Houchins via email: 
      • Kate Cahill has announced the new round of the online course for Applications of Parallel Computing and within just a few days had already gained commitments from three partner institutions as well as expressed interest from several faculty members.
      • Aaron Weeden has worked with other CEE staff to ramp up recruitment efforts for the EMPOWER program. For some reason there seems to be a smaller number of applicants for fall positions and there is a lack of diversity in the fall applicants as well. We have 7 EMPOWER students for this fall and 4 of those are continuing their summer work with their mentors. Seeing these students continue in their EMPOWER work is great but we would like to increase the number of applicants. We wondering if the greater number of spring and summer applications is a result of recruitment efforts at conferences typically held in the fall (such as Tapia, SACNAS, and SC) as well as students hearing about the program from potential faculty mentors once the academic is back in session.
      • Susan Mehringer and the training team are collaborating with Linda Akli and others to creating information for all XSEDE trainings regarding the code of conduct. They also continue to push to create more training roadmaps. Additionally, there is new effort in collaboration with UII to create an updated XSEDE course catalog page that will be more user friendly and more searchable.
    • Update on UII
      • CEE UII is working on streamlining the account creation process for the XSEDE User Portal. The goal is to make it easier and more straightforward to create accounts and do some backend cleanup. We will be working with Allocations and Security and share our plans with the SMT when we have something more concrete
    • Computing for Change is on-track. Update will come closer to SC.  Need 5 judges, so may be reaching out to some of you.  Presenting 10-12 on Wednesday. Nancy will be one judge. 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) -
    • Karla's departure from ECSS is now official. Will work on transition plan. Marques & Sonia are still involved so transition should be smooth.
    • Link and accompanying letter to updated skills/FOS survey should be going out soon. 
    • Overhauled XSEDE New User Training to be presented later this month (10/25)
    • Rob Quick (IU) to replace Marlon Pierce (IU) as ESSGW L3 at end of October
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
    • JP & Rich are continuing to look at redesign of CSR to be more accessible to more groups. 
    • Victor: Next round of SP checklist reviews will be scheduled soon.  Info will be put on checklist page.  
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - 
    • Hybrid cloud plan developed. Will continue through the rest of this project year. 
    • Ops working on XSEDE2 following on transition plan (mostly for XES but other items as well)
    • Ops working on identifying topics and staff for writing papers; reminder to other XSEDE2 divisions to do this as well
      • PEARC deadline for abstracts in early December.  Good place to have a paper published. 
    • Still looking forward for Adam Slagell replacement as XSO from NCSA.  Adam left the project last month. 
    • Need to offboard Adam and Jason Charcalla 
      • Scott has already taken care of offboarding Adam.
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -
    • No update
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Call for XAB nominations has been sent to SPF & XSEDE staff. The call is also being released to HPC media outlets. Ron will be collecting the nominations and setting up a method to vote and decide on the four new members (3-year term).
      • We will try to maintain balance of the committee. 
      • One person going off is Rama from Google. Like to have someone from industry come on. 
    • There has been a change in L3 manager for ER. Kristin will move to an advisory role and Hannah Remmert will move to serve as the L3 manager going forward.
    • Sub-award amendment process for PY8 funding is underway. Sub-award amendment status can be found on the BusOps wiki: WBS 2.6.4 Business Operations
      • Three sub-award amendments left to be submitted to UIUC SPA
    • Reminder: Close recommendations
    • Reminder: Record improvements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/
    • PIF window never closes and funds can be accepted anytime
      • L2s asked to encourage their teams to submit ideas
  • SP Forum (Shawn/Jonathon) -
    • Conversations about redefining L1 to be any allocated resource.  Made updates to Federation doc & forwarded to Victor. Will put in front of SMT at the next meeting. 
  • UAC (Emre) - 
    • Doodle poll was sent to find times for UAC meeting with John & Lizanne. 
  • PM&R (Scott) - 
    • No update
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - October 25, 2018

 

  • No labels