Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

Reminder to attend XSEDE booth events (booth #3935):

  • Breakfast of champions Tuesday 10-11:30am
  • Discover More event 4-6pm Wednesday

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 27, 2018
  • (9/27) John confirming dates for the remainder of the year.
  • (9/27) Risk Review in two weeks.
  • (9/28) Proposed XSEDE2 reporting schedule reviewed by John and sent to the SMT for review and approval.
  • (10/11) Provide more time for completion & avoid conflicts. 
    • Will require an update to PEP. 
    • John has informed Bob that this is coming. 
    • IPR7 work will occur during SC18, but most of the difficulty will fall to John
  • (10/11) Decision to move forward with the proposed new schedule. 
  • (10/25) IPR7 commences on Nov. 1. Changes to this IPR from previous ones include:
    • L2 sections should provide updates on any management changes (L2 director, L3 manager, PM change).
    • L2 section highlights that you want moved up to project level highlight, please highlight this in the template.  Ron will then pull from that for the project level highlights. High impact things. 

Discussion:

  • Positive feedback from PMs re. reporting process. Thank you.
  • Deeper dive into submitted content next week.  Please continue to be responsive to PMs as they try to resolve any issues/questions.  

Decisions:

 

3. NSF's Request to Hold 2019 Annual Review in Early-June (John Towns

Previously:

  • (11/1) Added to agenda 

Discussion:

  • (11/8) From week of 10-June to week of 3-June (following June XRAC)
    • Annual Report would be due 1 week earlier
    • Move June remote Quarterly a week earlier
    • Fly from XRAC to D.C.
      • Location not yet determined; suggest holding it near DC for ease of travel
    • Dry-Run on 4-June & Review 5-7 June
      • Kelly has a major conference in Portugal this week
      • Bob pushing for this because we run up against end of August before we get spend approval from NSF, so this would allow us to get amendments out earlier. 
      • Last week of May is bad, but before that would be ok, but that would be problematic in terms of getting them the Annual report on time. 

Decisions:

  • Ron will bring this info back to John

4. XSEDE Publication Initiative - Tech Report Series Process (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (10/30) Added to agenda
  • (10/31) Tech Report Series process sent to SMT for review.

Discussion:

  • Updating publication status (SMT, quarterly, other)?
  • Review and approval of Tech Report Series process
    • Flow chart shows that someone goes to L3 mgr to get permission to write. Is this necessary? This seems reasonable since staff would be writing on XSEDE time.  Would likely always be given permission. Also allows L3 mgr to be aware of what's going on in their area, and could also give suggestions. 
      • Ask staff member to notify L3 instead of seek permission.  
    • Nothing that would preclude publication in a peer-reviewed journal after one publishes a technical report. 
      • Most peer reviewed journals require 30-50% original material. 
      • Could be equivalent to pre-prints. Publicly available but not a publication. 
      • Typically a tech rpt would not be considered for further publication.  Not meant to be a publication opportunity for something that could be published elsewhere. 
      • Would be considered published since publicly available. 
      • This is a place to publish things that don't have a traditional place for publication. Provide a venue for parts of XSEDE that don't typically have a conference or journal to publish their work. 
      • L3 can have this discussion with author on a case by case basis. L3 can explain what the TRS is and isn't and make sure author understands policies/options.
      • Make sure this gets disseminated to all L3 mgrs so they're aware. 
    • Publication types
      • Choose subset that doesn't have another home.  Journal wouldn't fit here because those can be published elsewhere. 
    • Guidelines for L2/L3s
      • Is it readable/written well? content relevant to XSEDE? useful info to put out? does it belong in TRS or elsewhere? 
      • Mix of people that publish in various places, could have some approach from a more academic standpoint. 
      • More to protect people from getting reviewed as if they're submitting to a journal.
      • Add to FAQ in document. 

Decisions:

  •  Ask staff member to "notify" L3 instead of have L3 "approve."
  • Add bullet list of guidelines to FAQ.

 

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - John continues to fine-tune who will be present from NSF on his Nov. 27 visit
  • CEE (Kelly) - Presentations by computing for change students on Wed 9-11 in A302
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) - Marlon Pierce will continue through end of year at reduced level for science gateways
    • Talked with Hannah about integrating ECSS more in the XSEDE booth
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - No update
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - Discussing transition planning. 
    • Victor/Ron get together at SC to talk about non-FTE budget & buying Amazon cloud services for remainder of XSEDE lifetime instead of monthly charges. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - Work with pixo is close to done (multi-phase review). Sorting out final deployment to avoid colliding with XRAC review process. Submissions for next meeting total 270 requests (close to a record). 
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Shawn/Jonathon) -
  • UAC (Emre) - Had a meeting on 1 November with John & Lizanne presenting.
  • PM&R (Scott) - No update
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - December 6, 2018 (No meeting on November 22 due to the Thanksgiving holiday.)

 

  • No labels