Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - April 9, 2020
  • (4/23) RY4 annual reporting will begin on May 1. 
      • Tuesday 5/5/2020: L3 text due to PMs; PMs give L3 text to L2s

      • Thursday 5/7/2020: All L2 text (including L3 text) due to PMs

    • Supplement doc
      • Holly working on prelim budget (should have it tomorrow)
        • Can repurpose unspent funds for year 6 (e.g., participant support funds)
        • Need to project funds we can't spend due to COVID-19 crisis
      • Should have draft to John early next week for his review.
      • All subaward partners so far have indicated interest in participating an additional year. 
  • (5/7) All text due to your PM TODAY for the annual report. Please get your inputs in today to keep us on schedule!

Discussion:

  • Supplement request was submitted on Tuesday. Annual report was submitted late yesterday (on time). Thank you to all for your efforts! We won't need to worry about reporting again until August.

Decisions:

 

3. New NSF Service Provider Resources  (Victor Hazlewood) 

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - April 9, 2020
  • (4/23) Deleware shipping/receiving shut down so they can't receive any equipment, which is creating some delays. 
    • Good progress with Ookami. 
    • Haven't heard from Johns Hopkins
  • (5/7) 
    • Victor got email from PSC about Bridges2. He will be talking with them soon. He needs a contact from SDSC to do the same for Expanse. Bob suggests that he starts with Shawn Strande. 
    • Others continue to slowly work through the process. 
    • Anita Schwartz sent letter to Ron. He received it and is reviewing it (moving from L3 to L2). Ron will send to SMT after he reviews.
    • OSN has been approved as L2. Want to do public data sets & have way to discover those. JP's team will need to be engaged for software listings. Found issue on xsede.org for software. 2 links under same name. Need to figure this out. 
    • Ookami has initial test platform arriving this week. Call scheduled for week of May 25 to get their process going. Need letters/dates from them.
    • DISCO: Victor meeting with them today. Need letters/dates from them.  
    • Tom Furlani now at Roswell. Partnership on web page still has him listed so that likely needs to be updated. 
  • Status of new SP resources:

    SP Resource

    Org

    Link

    PI

    NSF Award

    Target Date

    Bridges-2

    PSC

    Bridges-2 press release

    Nick Nystrom

    1928147

    October 1, 2020
    (on track!)

    Expanse

    SDSC

    Expanse press release

    Mike Norman

    1928224

    October 1, 2020
    (on track!)

    DARWIN

    U Delaware

     

    Rudi Eigenmann

    1919839

    TBD

    Open Storage Network

    Collaboration (5)

    openstoragenetwork.org

    Collaboration (5)

    1747507

    Winter 2020 or Spring 2021

    Ookami

    SUNY at Stony Brook

    Ookami press release

    Robert Harrison

    1927880

    Startups 10/1/2021
    Full allocations 10/1/2022


    DISCO

    Johns Hopkins Univ

    DISCO news item

    Dennice Gayme
    Contact: Jaime Combariza

    1920103

    TBD

Discussion:

(5/21)

  • U Del will be allocated via XSEDE at 20%. R. Have majority of yes votes. Ron to send approval letter to them. Moving from L3 to L2.
  • Victor reaching out to PSC and SDSC re. integration of their machines.  
  • Victor to re-confirm target dates with all of the below. Guess many will change to January. 

Decisions:


4. XDCDB and production server access policy (David Hart ) 

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - April 9, 2020
  • (4/23) Have identified places like new science gateway are hitting database & addressing that. 
    • Need update from Victor Hazlewoodre. where things stand with the policy.
      • Recommended updates for XSEDE security baseline document. Need info from David Hartre. whether more is needed.
  • (5/7) Dave needs to connect with Victor to see what next steps are. 

Discussion:

  • Tasked security group to update XES standard. Will add section on roles & accounts, approval processes, oversight, etc. Gary & Victor doing assessment for AWS. 
  • Remove topic from agenda for now. When Victor Hazlewood has the updates to the standards will share with Dave & Maytal and then update this group. 

Decisions:


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Got confirmation about panel review on Tuesday June 9 & Wednesday June 10. Done over Zoom (NSF to provide coordinates). 
      • Restriction that we will not be able to do parallel sessions. Not enough NSF staff members available to attend parallel sessions (requirement that NSF staff present). 
      • 1 1/2 day presentation time total 
      • 9am-4pm ET timeframe
      • Planning for typical sequence (opening remarks, science use cases-40 mins, governance, CEE-45 mins, ECSS-45 mins, XCI-30 mins, Ops-30 mins, RAS-40 mins, short Q&A, wrap up. Questions to be provided to us if they have any. Responses morning Day 2, finance/PgO-40 mins, wrap up.  Done presenting by 12pm ET on Day 2. Sessions will need to be shorter. 
      • For your session, 60% presentation time, 40% Q&A. 
      • To accommodate short presentation times, will get slides to reviewers by Thursday prior. Assume they've read & reviewed them. Slides to be sent on Thursday, June 4. 
      • Dry run Monday at 12ET. Clean up and do final pass Monday evening. John will send final versions Monday evening. 
      • Review is covering RY4, PY10, PY11 (see slide template) 
  • Tim
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • For review, will go back to give trends on training, BP, etc. Will focus on what we learned over the year.  
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) - 
    • Prepping for review 
    • John on CDC call–how many models are XSEDE/running through white house covid-19 program. This would be good to include in the science highlights. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
    • No update 

  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -   
    • Working through replacement manager for DTS
    • HPC centers being attacked by bitcoin miners. Haven't had anything hit XSEDE as security incident, but this is high on our radar. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) - 
    • Ken & team getting ready for remote XRAC on Monday June 8.
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  
    • Happy to have Tim joining meetings now. Attendance has been 20-25 people typically.  Always looking for agenda topics.

  • UAC (Emre) -  
    • Will schedule post panel review meeting to share updates.
  • NSF (Bob C) - No update

Next Meeting:     SMT - June 18, 2020 


  • No labels