Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - November 10, 2016
  • (1/5) Karla 
    • IPR due 2/15 with quarter close on 1/31. Watch for emails soon for due dates for text
    • Planning will begin mid-January; inputs before March quarterly
    • PSC will provide project manager for XCI upon Janet Brown's departure. Will also need a point on UREP. ACTION Karla will send description to Ralph
  • (1/19) Karla - email from Leslie Morsek about IPR2 due 2/17; highlights language to use and timeframes
  • (1/19) Karla - Planning email will come soon as well, will begin after IPR2 writing is done
  • (2/2) Scott - middle of current reporting period, due to NSF 2/17
  • (2/16) Karla - IPR2 is with Leslie Froeschl and will go to John at the end of the day today; John will finalize and submit 2/17
  • (2/16) Karla - Planning process is underway; L3 prioritized activities are due today
  • (3/16) Karla will be setting up calls w/L2s for Plans
  • (3/16) John - call w/Rudi: NSF would like summary of what we are discontinuing and what we are doing going forward, what has decreased or increased funding
  • (3/30) Karla - reporting and planning emails gone or will be going out. A lot of PCRs in flight hoping to have most done by reporting time. IPR feedback from Rudi will be addressed by L2 and L3 areas
  • (3/30) Dave - SP Forum discussion was good
  • (4/13) Karla - planning and reporting
  • (4/27) Karla - email went out this week for reporting, very tight timeline. John's pass on 5/8 so stay on deck for feedback that day
  • (4/27) Karla - L2s let your project managers know what changes you'd like in the Plan based on XAB feedback

Discussion:

  • (5/11) Karla - report in final stages

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

3. XSEDE Website Redesign (Karla Gendler)

Previously:

  • (1/5) Maytal - Wire frames in place, need decisions from Ron and John and to understand the role of External Relations and their branding study. Initial focus is to work on the website and then move to the user portal with improved navigation, look and feel. Can do a presentation at March or June quarterly. Usability study conducted on the current website in addition to interviews; can share final report from Craig Jansen at TACC. Would be good to do another usability study 3-6 months after the new website. Craig Jansen at TACC.
  • The new architecture and the wireframes can continue to be improved upon but we need an initial design and site map to be approved to not delay the re-design process further. Nothing with a web site is set in stone but we would like to have something approved for the initial release planned at the end of this program year. On the wiki page I link to below there are two documents:

    1.       The presentation I plan to give tomorrow. I’ll make sure to keep it short but thorough enough to answer any questions.

    2.       The Usability study that I talked about at the last SMT meeting if anyone is interested in looking at the final report.

    These are both located on the XSEDE web site redesign is located on the following WIKI page: https://confluence.xsede.org/display/XT/XSEDE+Web+Site+Redesign

  • (2/16) Maytal - site maps are fluid and will change and evolve. Proposing another usability study after the website is out.
  • (3/16) Maytal - finalizing layout. Mapping old to new content–will need a lead for each area
  • (3/30) Maytal - migrating content; need point of contact for each major area of the website–will request via email
  • (4/13) Maytal - sent area responsibilities via email
  • (4/27) Maytal - moving forward as expected; ideally will go live in June; content migration in May

Discussion:

  • (5/11) Maytal - content coming together; 7/1 release date. Top level pages should be high level with options to dig in deeper

Decisions:

 

Actions:


4. Round-the-Call Call-out for Improvements (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • (5/9)  Added to agenda; Requesting and reminding people to add improvements to the tracking spreadsheet is not working. The plan is to have this recurring SMT agenda topic to go around the call and call-out the improvements that have been made in each area.

Call Outs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/edit#gid=0

  • CEE:
  • ECSS: moving to JIRA from Sciforma management as of 5/10; staff later. New KPI. Analyzing data.
  • XCI: reporting changes to better articulate all that we do
  • Ops: Reactive - multi-factor authentication to required. Moving from LifeRay to Confluence?
  • RAS: Agile implementation 
  • Program Office: 

Decisions:


Actions:


5. May 24th Remote Quarterly Meeting (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • (5/9)  Added to agenda; Brief discussion on the agenda for the meeting.

Discussion

  • (5/9) - topics: Sergiu's user guide suggestion, Victor's SP topic
  • Friday 6/2 is the Review prep to go over slides

Decisions:


Actions:



6. Panel Review Prep General Direction (John Towns)

Previously:

  • (4/27) added to agenda
  • (4/27) April Face-to-Face XAB Notes located at: https://confluence.xsede.org/display/XT/XAB+2017+Face-to-Face+Meeting
  • (4/27) John's thoughts and takeaways from the Face-to-Face XAB meeting
  • (4/27) Review/discuss Dave Hart's email 
    • Suggestion to put the big overview at the end
    • John - need intro about V/M/G and highlighting the past year with plans for next year; request a wrap-up session and bring to a higher level
    • Ralph - we had a lot of cases where we stated KPIs and Targets–how is the target driving what we are doing? We should be prepared for that and speak to how we will work differently to achieve the new target; target should be driving what we do
    • Craig - experience matters
    • Laura - doing this through the Performance Management Plan in the coming years
    • Ron - focus on people and cross-management teams per Cliff's suggestions followed by other XAB nods
    • John - also need a general outline and order ACTION Ron and John
  • (4/27) General guidance for panel review preparation
    • Important accomplishments in RY1 and key priorities in RY2 ACTION everyone

Decisions:


Discussion:

  • (5/11) June 2nd Slide Review proposed agenda:
    • Introduction Review (45 mins)
    • Science Case Flow (30 mins)
    • L2 Intro Reviews (15 mins each x 6 = 90 mins total)
    • Panel Question Responses (30 mins each x 6 = 3 hours total)
    • Short breaks & work through lunch hour
  • (5/11) Dave L - suggestion to follow template given by John/Ron and squeeze into 10 minutes. John could introduce the areas and leads to save switch time ACTION Ron develop
  • (5/11) Ralph - do we have a chapter on the science case in Annual Report
  • ACTION Ron to send key dates
    • 5/24 time?
    • 6/2 starts at 10am - 4pm central time
    • Review dates/times

Actions:


7. 2017 XSEDE Strategic Planning Session (John Towns & Nick Berente)

Previously:

John Towns, Nick Berente, and Ian Foster met 4/21/17 to discuss XSEDE Strategic Planning and recommend that L2 directors and other key XSEDE leaders meet to discuss the following topics:

  • Review Vision, Mission, Strategic Goals;
  • Scenario Planning for XSEDE Sustainability  

Format: 1.5 days

Location: Chicago? Atlanta?
Date: ?

Tentative Agenda:

  1. Plenary Session: Vision, Mission, Strategic Goals Discussion
  2. Breakouts: Scenario Development Exercise
  3. Plenary: Key Scenario and Risk Identification
  4. Breakouts: Key Scenario Analysis
  5. Plenary: Contingency Planning Session
  6. Documentation

(4/27)

  • Dave L - what new scenarios should we be thinking about and how to move toward the good ideas; we already know what we do now, it's not going to get any better
  • John - brief review but with an eye toward 10 years in light of what we've learned; considering scenarios for what is best for the community
  • Dave L - might help if L2s submit 1-page position papers
  • Ralph - first step not the final step; consider having a PEARC session to get ideas
  • John - could possibly use the Aug/Sept quarterly
  • Greg - good idea; suggest front of a meeting or separate meeting
  • ACTION Laura work with Nick on dates and share on next SMT

Discussion:

  • (5/11) Holding Tuesday, Sep 12 – Thursday, Sep 14

    • Dave Hart will be in France; Ralph has a problem with the dates that he will have to figure out
    • Location: Atlanta (1) or Chicago (3)
    • Short position papers ACTION Ron reminders

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

 

8. NSF Videos (Kristin Williamson)

Previously:

Decisions:


Discussion:

  • (5/11) Kristin's Updates:
    • Austin and Steve are in Boston filming the infrastructure video this week. The Ligo team just signed off on their script, it's now pending NSF. We are still on track!

Actions:




9. User Account Management for Allocations (David Hart, David Lifka, Gregory PetersonJohn Towns)

Previously:

  • (4/27)  Added to agenda; email with background and details sent to SMT mail list; Source of topic is findings from Dec. 2016 security incident; Topic continues to have NSF attention
  • (4/27) Need to discuss scope of topic and next steps with owners
  • (4/27) John - won't die unless we bury it well; sensitive because the source of the incident was China. Has gained undue scrutiny as a result. We must provide a plan to NSF of what we will do and then do it. That students no longer have access to resources once class is over. 
    • Likewise, need mechanism that only those who need access to allocation have access once they begin a new round. May be that we do thing by hand in the interim.
    • Greg - cutting access after class or school year? John - it has to be after the semester, not school year basis. 
    • Maytal - can inactivate users and reactivate them
    • Greg - by default need to deactivate all and they would have to reactivate them
    • Dave - meeting next week, easiest to do it globally rather than target educational targets
    • John - education is slightly different because it is end of semester rather than allocation period–across the board
    • Dave - could shut off automatic forwarding and then
    • John - tag Chris Hempel with development and execution of plan ACTION; Karla letting Chris know, Dave H adding to next week's meeting
    • Greg - one of a few things we are doing

Discussion:

  • (5/11) Chris H provided a draft response to Rudi.  It will be sent after John's feedback/approval.

Decisions:


Actions:


Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) 
  • CEE (Kelly) - The only update I have is that I will be sending out an announcement today hopefully that Jennifer Houchins (Shodor)  has agreed to take on the role of CEE Deputy and Workforce Development lead. She will be transitioning into this role with the help of Chris Hempel,  Karla Gendler and myself. She will be taking on the role solo effective July 1
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu) - community codes across platforms at SPF (XCR work w/JP?–would be good to get on software repository website), JIRA, review prep.
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig)
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - allocations accounts and security, Indiana retiring VMs discussions, Duo license, reporting.
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - PEARC17 reminders to staff to attend any XSEDE sessions, registration/hotel deadline at the end of this month. Performance appraisal season, reminder to help if asked.
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura)
    • Finalizing logistics for May Quarterly, Panel Slide Review and Panel Review (Dry-Run & war room)
    • Working on visualization options for the impact & importance of XSEDE
    • BusOps updating the budget tool to get PY7 guidance letters out by the end of June
  • SP Forum (Dan) - recommendations to XSEDE from SPF
  • UAC (Emre) - reporting contribution; when next meeting–perhaps summer or September
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott)  
  • NSF (Rudi)

Record improvements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/edit#gid=0

Next Meeting:  June 22, 2017 – due to Quarterly and Review

  • No labels