Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

Discussion: 

  • L3s should be finalizing submission of PY11 planning text to PMs. L2 deadline for final text is next Wednesday 3/31. 
  • Annual report process will start May 1.

Decisions:


3. Update on terminology task force (Linda Akli ) 

Previously:

  • (1/28) Previous discussion archived at SMT Meeting - December 17, 2020
  • (1/28) Anticipate sharing something before next SMT call. Working to build guidance around the list. Pulling out what is really relevant to XSEDE.
  • (2/11) Hoped to send info out for review this week, but discovered that procedures/guidelines for adding new terms/how list will be managed is missing. Gender-related terms were also missing from the list. Task Force working to add that info and then it will be shared with SMT. 
  • (2/25) Putting procedures together to go with the list. Everyone on the team has assignments for moving this forward. 

Discussion:

  • Presentation at QM. Proceeding with plans outlined there. 
  • ECSS discussion re. use of "NIP" as acronym for Novel & innovative projects. Will now be NaIP instead. Want to keep the Novel & Innovative projects name, but acknowledge that NIP is offensive to some people. 
  • Task force trying to wrap up by May timeframe and move to maintenance mode after that. 

Decisions:


4. XSEDE2 Spin-Down Date (John Towns

Previously: 

  • (3/25) Added to agenda

Discussion: 

  • If we go a long time without knowing who the successor is, there will come a point that we'll have to start ramping down. Trying to understand if there is a date that we will start shutting things down & won't be able to start back up without reasonable amount of effort or that there wouldn't be enough funded time to bring back. At which point transition becomes unavailable.
  • Survey of all services–some don't have mapping to the new plan. 3 month timeframe has been discussed to notify users that there isn't a direct mapping. 
  • What to do about XDCDB as it holds everything together. Down time for XDCDB will be significant. 
  • Issue shut down command to all servers on 8/31/22 with hope that they can be brought back up. 
  • Need to communicate across the project for PY11 planning and to successor awards so they know what the drop dead date is. 
  • Could be awkward in allocations. Allocations could be made and then nothing to give them. Mitigation plan for this.
  • When to stop offering ECSS: ECSS has discussed this and is working on language re. how they'll explain this. Possibly March 2022. 
  • Potential staff volatility towards end of award. 
  • Should be discussed in the PY11 plan. This is a good topic to get input from XAB on. 

Decisions:

  • Leaving this topic on the agenda to discuss at the next meeting. 

5. XSEDE2 PY11 Budget (Ron Payne

Previously: 

  • (3/25) Added to agenda
  • Ron sent out list of PIF projects that could be funded by email.

Discussion: 

  • Bob & Phil to revisit amount requested for ECSS training and report back if the amount will change.
  • Need to discuss prioritization for the PIFs in light of this being the final year of XSEDE. 
  • If there are any new PIF ideas, they should be submitted via the Online PIF Submission form ASAP so they can be considered. 
  • Do we want to leave some funds to stretch XSEDE out a couple extra weeks in case there is a delay in transitioning? 
    • Discussed with Bob options for us if there are delays and received no guidance. Given that, don't see a reason to leave money on the table as a contingency plan.  
  • Ron plans to schedule individual discussions with subaward PIs & their business office folks in the coming weeks re. PY11. 
    • Making subs whole for participant support–either with unspent funds or a budget ask. 

Decisions:


6. Prep for April XAB call (John Towns  ) 

Previously: 

  • (3/25) Added to agenda

Discussion: 

  • Suggesting that each L2 sends slides with questions for feedback they would like the XAB to respond to. 20 mins per L2, 30 mins for John, 3 10-min breaks = 3 hours. 
  • Add questions to first slide
  • Notion of things that might be good for input: doubts/questions you might have about presentation, unique concerns we have in this last year.
  • Final slide decks with questions for feedback will be due April 8. 

Decisions:


7. Approval of revised allocation policies (David Hart  ) 

Previously:

Discussion: 

  • Will vote later.

Decisions:

Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
  • Tim
    • No update

  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • No update 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    • Thanks to Eric Blau, Shava, Dave to automate XDCDB with ECSS Jira/Confluence project tracking system. When someone gets an ECSS allocation, the project is auto created in the ECSS tracking in Jira/Confluence.  
  • XCI (Dave L/Rich) -  

    • Working with ECSS on pilot on Pegasus on workflow capabilities. Looking for users/SPs who could participate in pilot. If you know anyone, send them to Shava & JP.  Users: any applications that have multi-tier dependencies, need some kind of tracking of multi-jobs. SPs: make login node available to run in HT condor. Shouldn't be a lot of effort for them. 
    • Tabitha met with Jetstream2 team. Tentatively going to production in October pending hardware procurement, so may be a delay
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -   
    • Should think about making disaster recovery snapshots to archive for worst case scenario if there isn't anyone available to transition a service to.   
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -  

    • March XRAS: 96% success
    • Close to working with ORCID to get XRAS as ORCID certified product. 
    • Allocations policies moving along
    • Worked on UI for XRAS at last meeting that might be rolled out at NCAR in April
    • XRAS/AMIE/Jira integration for ECSS  
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira)   
    • XAB: Friday April 16 10am-1pm CT; Slides due April 8. 
    • Continuing to move forward with IRIS for economic impact study. Getting approval from NSF to add U Mich as a subaward to the grant to we can move forward. 
      • Ron happy to send out statement of work, expected outcomes. 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  

    • Sent letter to XSEDE/Bob Chadduck in response to ACCESS solicitations with number of questions. Bob responded but didn't provide any answers. 
    • Met about single source for SP info. Tabitha & Ruth meeting to do some clean on up SP reps etc.
  • UAC (Emre) -   
    •  No update
  • NSF (Bob C) - 


Next Meeting:     SMT - April 8, 2021 


  • No labels