Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - February 25, 2021
  • (3/25) L3s should be finalizing submission of PY11 planning text to PMs. L2 deadline for final text is next Wednesday 3/31. 
    • Annual report process will start May 1.
  • (4/8) Wrapping up PY11 plan today. 
    • XAB: Friday April 16 10am-1pm CT; Slides due by end of day TODAY (with questions for XAB feedback).  Please place them here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/3/folders/1Cm7K7KajAIjJKaoTZcGIfMKloVS3720e.
    • Requested SP Forum volunteers to sign up to review/provide feedback to an L2 of their choosing. Sent reminder today and hope to get at least one reviewer for each L2 area. L2s: please send Leslie a few times you could do a 30-min call with these folks in the next couple weeks. 
    • Annual report process will start May 1. 
  • (4/22) Meetings with SP Forum reps set up for CEE, XCI, Ops. Still working on scheduling ECSS & PgO. No one signed up for RAS. 
    • Annual report process begins May 1. 
  • (5/6) Annual report text due to your area project manager TODAY
  • (5/20) Annual Report is with John and should be submitted today.
    • Panel review slides will be updated with org charts by next week. 
  • (6/3) Panel review slides have been posted and link was emailed. First run will be at Quarterly meeting (June 22-23). 
  • (6/17) Quarterly meeting next Tuesday/Wednesday. Final agenda has been posted. Panel review slide template is posted on wiki. 

Discussion: 

Decisions: 

3. Status of project finances (Tim Boerner

Previously:

  • (6/17) Added to agenda 

Discussion: 

  • Updated spend plan info is being reviewed by John/Tim & will be discussed in greater detail during QM next week. 
  • Projecting ~$4M underspend currently. 
  • Outstanding PIF requests total ~$300-600K, which doesn't take much of a dent.
  • Idea for purpose for unspent funds involves support for new SPs. Tim & Tabitha to discuss and bring forward during QM. 
  • Goal is get to net-zero by end of project. 
  • Tim is tracking how subs are staying on track with their spend plans. Need to come to understanding re. how to manage this. Don't want to call people monthly, but need to find a way to manage it. Possibly quarterly calls? 
    • Bigger centers have more flexibility to add more people etc. Smaller centers don't have that ability. 
    • COVID has made spending some funds difficult. 
  • Real possibility that spending down to zero won't be able to happen. If we see a point that we clearly won't hit the target, need to allocate that to another effort. 
  • Unclear if we'll be able to utilize the funds for a specified purpose or have to return to NSF. 
  • CEE projecting overspend on participant support but underspend on staff/equipment, so can move funds to cover that. 
  • If you have ideas for ramped up efforts that should be considered (within scope of project), please bring forward.

Decisions: 


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

      • Status update on significant activities
      • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

    • PI (John/Ron) - 
      • Created google drive for review. Included last year's review report & responses as well as RY5 annual report/program plan.
      • Reminder: by Friday next week need copies of all draft slides in this folder, so send PPT slides to John by mid-day Friday at latest. 
      • Wiki has been updated with agenda & slide templates. 
      • Discussed attendees with Bob. He is open to more folks as observers. All sessions will be open to all L2s/L3s and a few others. A lot of L3s haven't been exposed to a review so this is a good opportunity. As observers, camera/mic off and don't speak unless spoken to. 
    • Tim
      • No update
         

    • CEE (Kelly) - 
      • Concentrating on QM & review. Working on slides on growth of programs over time. Data is impressive. Expanding in some intentional ways and some unexpected. 
        • Phil would like to highlight some of this in his presentation. Will work with Kelly on this. 
      • Linda out with Adv Computing for Social Change for faculty. 

    • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
      •  Focused on review

    • XCI (Dave L/Tabitha/Shava) -  

      • Review slides nearly done
      • XCI has migrated terminology based on training that was held

    • Ops (Greg/Victor) -   
      • Working through contingencies for transition to ACCESS

      • Working with Tabitha re. onboarding new SPs

      • Preparing for QM & review 

    • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -  

      • Opp for next XRAC opened Tuesday. 20 different compute resources that can be requested. Includes several new SPs

    • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • SP Forum (Ruth) -  

      • Met last week. New SPs continue to have challenges with AMIE but working through those. 
      • Cancelling next Thursday's meeting
      • Opportunities for SPs to participate in terminology training? Kelly believes that should be fine but she'll double check. Sergiu will bring this up during task force meeting next week and get back to Ruth.
      • Next session will be recorded so that could also be shared. "But it would be for staff who couldn’t make the training, not external" (Susan Mehringer).
      • Also will be available as a BoF at PEARC.
         
    • UAC (Emre) -   
      • No update 
    • NSF (Bob C) - 

      Next Meeting:     SMT - July 1, 2021 

  • No labels