Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - January 13, 2022
  • (2/10) IPR17 is getting wrapped up. Thank you all for your efforts and getting your inputs in on time.
  • (4/21) RY5 Annual Report collection will begin May 1. Please be responsive to the posted schedule! 
    • Thank you for contributions to lessons learned. The doc is coming along nicely. Please keep an eye out for questions/comments that come your way and be responsive to those. 
  • (5/5) L2 text for  Annual Report is due to your area PM TODAY!
  • (6/16) Next report up is IPR18 in August

Discussion:  

Working on wrapping up draft of detailed transition plan to share with Bob/Al and XAB. XAB will have one week to review and provide feedback/input, and then will submit final plan to NSF a week later (approx. 6/24 or 6/27)

Decisions: 


3. Request from ACCESS for XSEDE to continue operating some services (John Towns

Previously:

  • (6/16) Added to agenda

Discussion:  

Met yesterday with several ACCESS leads. Set of services (approx 6 including XUP) being operated by XSEDE that some tracks would like us to continue to operate for up to 6 mos. Responded:

  • Need specific requests to respond to. 
  • Need to see at once so we can assess together
  • May or may not have resources to support the request (financial and available staff). Especially concerning given that many staff are moving to other projects as of Sept. 1 given end of XSEDE operations.
  • NCE takes us to Aug 23 specifies that it is non-operational work (financial closeout, reporting, some participant support for students). 
    • John talked to Bob & Al today about allowability of this if we decide to support.
      • Bob pointed out that ACCESS awards have cooperative agreements that expect them to be in production on Sept. 1.
      • Significant change in scope may make it unallowable. Will need to submit clear justification explaining why we are requesting significant change in scope.
      • Issue for ACCESS–should be request to Tom G for ACCESS to fund. 
      • Care most about minimal disruption to community, so if we can dedicate resources to help with that then not opposed. 
      • John to advise ACCESS to continue to work with XSEDE to develop specific requests (how long, budgetary/staffing requirements) for all services being requested at once so SMT can consider the full picture when making a decision. 
      • John to communicate to ACCESS EC that John will expect any requests to be approved by ACCESS EC before coming to XSEDE to ensure the request isn't coming from just one track without support from others. 
      • All requests need to recognize & address all dependencies. 
  • Only real input received thus far is footnote on spreadsheet. Need to be better clarified and more formal, explicit communication.
  • Staffing issue: natural people to cover need are people part of ACCESS
  • SSO: would sit on top of portal, XDCDB–not clear why they would want to do that. 
  • XUP: At one point Dan volunteered to continue to operate it until ACCESS gets up & running. Should check with Dan to see if that offer is on the table. (Likely read-only) Still cost for liferay. Doing this can cause confusion for community members (is this XSEDE or ACCESS?)
    • Initially thought Track 2 was asking for read-only access to pull content etc. Dan was agreeable to this pending issues with liferay end of life/licensing/security issues.  
  • ACCESS needs to communicate with community re. what their expectations should be on Sept. 1 to avoid low satisfaction. 
  • XCI is concern re. IAM things. 


Decisions: 


4. Questions to be addressed in Lessons Learned doc (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

Discussion:   

  1. John to rewrite first item. More generally true across org..
  2. John to combine the two XCI items and use both as examples. 

Decisions: 


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

      • Status update on significant activities
      • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
      • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Updated on discussion with Bob/Al above.
    • Amy Schuele to retire Aug 1. Tim will be interim AD for ICI until a permanent hire is made. IL working with NSF on PI shift for ACCESS Track 3 award. Tim's time on XSEDE is being reduced to focus only on reporting aspects of project. 
    • ACCESS town hall was held Tuesday. 
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Not present
       
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    • Working on end game, PI interviews
    • Saw concern at XRAC. Reviewers seemed a little concerned about why things are changing etc.  Some reviewers mentioned hole that will be left when ECSS goes away. 
    • Question came up during town hall re. what ECSS like support they could get. John stated that they could at least ask XSEDE for this assistance. Might want to identify person and follow-up if we have any availability to help with code. Allocated previously on Delta...
        
  • XCI (Dave L/Tabitha/Shava) -

    • Working through transition plan with ACCESS
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -
    • Transition issues. 
    • Trying to coordinate handoff to ACCESS 
       
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -

    • Not present

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - 

    • Working it's way through meetings with ACCESS track leads. Have had T1, T2 so far. Lots of questions. T3 next week. ACO later in July. T4 still pending 

    • ACCESS asked SP Forum to continue to operate until ACCESS has its new governance model/charter established. Ruth will make this proposal to SPF next week with proposed deadline of May 1 2023. 
       

  • UAC (Emre) -   
    • Uncertain about end game for UAC. 
      • Don't want to raise fears.
      • Could invite Shelley Knuth to present
      • Or could send a thank you for their time message and call it done.
      • Makes sense to have one more meeting to share info on who to talk to if they have concerns. John, Shelley (T2), and Dave H (T1) could present about plans. Try to schedule in July. Week of July 18 is ideal. 
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

    Next Meeting:    June 30, 2022

  • No labels