Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - May 24, 2018
  • (6/21) Scott - about half-way through the current reporting cycle that runs May through July. Timelines will go out in July for an August report prep time.
  • (6/21) Ron - Annual Report was approved, and it has been loaded into IDEALS

Discussion:

  • (7/19) Karla - IPR L2 text due to project managers 8/9. Got an extension from NSF, final due 8/22. Email from Leslie Morsek coming early next week during PEARC. Questions from John via your PM around 8/15, please be responsive.

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need


3. XSEDE External Relations Updates (Kristin Williamson / Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (7/19) - Added to agenda

Discussion:

  • Pre-approval for PEARC18 stories (story ideas sent via email to SMT)
  • Confirmation of approval for Branding & Awareness Campaign
  • PIF: Product Market Analysis for Sustainability Potential
    • Illinois Business Council (IBC) deadline is 31-July
  • Kristin - External Relations stories during PEARC18, see table below for HPCwire stories. Reviews would be 2 pages long and would likely be reviewed from approximately 5-7pm
    • Bob - available except Monday (traveling)
    • Kelly - available except Tuesday
    • John - available except Monday
    • Phil - available except Monday

Date

Time

Title

Type

XSEDE?

Angle

7/24/2018

14:15-14:30

Understanding Neural Pathways in Zebrafish through Deep Learning and High Resolution Electron Microscope Data

Tech Paper

Ishtar Nyawira, Kristi Bushman, Iris Qian, Annie Zhang/PSC

XSEDE providing services to new communities; may cover in same article as "Seamless Utilization …" talk below.

7/25/2018

09:20-10:05

Using Advanced Computing to Recover Black Women’s Lost History: Exploring Seamless Creativity in Research that spans Computer Science, Social Sciences and the Humanities

Plenary

Ruby Mendenhall/ECSS

We've covered Ruby's work before; I expect we'll be updating, particularly in regard to new results.

7/25/2018

10:30-10:45

Seamless Utilization of Heterogenous XSEDE Resources to Accelerate Processing of a High Value Functional Neuroimaging Dataset

Tech paper

Anirban Jana/PSC

Probably will pair with "Understanding Neural Pathways …" talk above.

7/25/2018

14:30-15:00

Evaluating the Scientific Impact of XSEDE

Tech Paper

Yes

Obviously good story to cover re. XSEDE's "value added" to academic HPC.

7/25/2018

16:30-16:45

GISandbox: A Science Gateway for Geospatial Computing

Tech Paper

Eric Shook/ECSS

Interesting talk, should have good visuals and will have a nice Champions angle.

  • ER branding and awareness approval - SP Forum provided feedback and overall a very positive conversation
    • John - green light

Decisions:

Actions:


4. XSEDE Staff Publications Initiative & Technical Report Series (Laura T. Herriott and Victor Hazlewood

Previously:

  • Discussion during June Quarterly Meeting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14LZAAAADKdsN9QqHVO6LlIM8p5qwEDghInrh8OyOJ2k/edit
  • (6/21) Laura - requested email distribution list. Reviewing Berkeley and Illinois Tech Report Series policies; in particular the notion of numbering has come up as a lesson learned when establishing a new series. Currently, Laura, Victor, Ron, and Craig will vet the Technical Report series process and share, we welcome others who are interested.

Discussion:

  • (7/19) Laura - Illinois does not have a vetting process. PSC uses the author's direct Manager to approve before entering after a proofreading pass is complete. Requesting process from Berkeley. Still waiting for email distribution list to be created. 
  • (7/19) Laura: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Status of publications presented in PY8 Plans
      • CEE – added published items to XUP; some 
        • Advanced Computing for Social Change Journal Publication 
        • EMPOWERing Undergraduates Through Expert Mentoring: Supporting Student-Driven Research in HPC Internships
        • Building a Solid Foundation: Intensive, Hands-on Curriculum for Teaching Applications in HPC

        • BOF: WHPC - "Join the conversation: Strategies for building a campus wide Women in HPC community"

        • Paper: "Mentoring Undergraduates into Cyber-Facilitator Roles"

        • Campus Champions 101 workshop

        • Campus Champions Fellows Presentation

        • Campus Champions Panel Presentation

        • Paper: Teaching Data Science through Social Change

        • BOF: Supporting Student-Driven Research: Fostering Mentorship to Promote Student Success

        • Paper: The role cultural competency plays in teaching data science

        • Panel: First Principles in Advanced Cyberinfrastructure - Concepts and Skills Needed for Broader Engagement and Participation

        • Grace Hopper Presentation on Computing4Change

      • ECSS – Phil and Bob will focus on this going forward ACTION talk with Nancy and revise list
        • Domain journals
        • ECSS staff typically publish at PEARC
        • We will summarize accepted submissions
        • Increased attention to staff uploading of publications
        • Can import from DOI, PubMed ID
        • Can we import from Google Scholar?
        • Proposed XSEDE partnership with OrcID?
      • XCI – Rich and JP have this on the horizon for PEARC19 and others; might have something from PEARC18
        • PEARC 19 paper on XSEDE's Use Case Process
        • PEARC 19 paper on Extending the XNIT and the XSEDE Community Software Repository
      • Operations – will drop presentations, L3s sending to Scott, have a number of items
        • Participating in PEARC panel (2.4.1)
        • ML/NLP results on automated ticket classification/routing (2.4.1)
        • Considering PEARC BoF to solicit feedback on DTS updated vision (2.4.3)
        • Paper on multisite virtual organization infrastructure management (2.4.5)
      • RAS – ACTION Laura email Dave H.
        • XRAS Technical Report—Updating original design and architecture documents to reflect as-implemented state
        • XRAS Administrators Guide—Documentation for allocations administrators for XRAS clients
        • XSEDE Accounting Service Design Document
        • Resource usage analysis publication, format TBD, possibly PEARC19
        • Possible XRAS PEARC19 submission, format TBD
      • Program Office –  Summer school and PEARC evaluations will be done
        • Planning process (Project Office)
        • Governance (Project Office)
        • IHPCSS (Evaluation)
        • PEARC (Evaluation)
        • Specialized studies (Evaluation)
        • XSEDE ROI (Evaluation)
        • XSEDE strategic planning case study (Strategy)
        • Workflow analysis (Strategy)

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:


5. XSEDE External Code of Conduct - Phasing into website (Ron PayneMaytal Dahan

Previously:

  • (6/8) - Added to agenda
    • Suggested phases:
      • Phase I - basic wording on the site since there was clear directive from NSF regarding harassment and repercussions for grantees.  web page: https://www.xsede.org/codeofconduct
      • Phase II – create the form for reporting. Need ETA
      • Phase III – add it to the portal account creation and training registration forms as a check off box indicating read and understand. Need ETA
  • (6/21) - Suggested phases: 
    • Phase I - basic wording on the site since there was clear directive from NSF regarding harassment and repercussions for grantees.  web page: https://www.xsede.org/codeofconduct
    • Phase II – create the form for reporting. Need ETA
    • Phase III – add it to the portal account creation and training registration forms as a check off box indicating read and understand. Need ETA

Discussion:

  • note

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:



6. XSEDE Service Provider Forum Membership (Shawn StrandeDavid HartPhilip Blood

Previously:

  • (7/10) - Added to agenda
    • Email thread concerning a single institution adding multiple resources/services to the SPF
    • Phil Blood's question about the possibility of international entities joining the SPF

Discussion:

  • (7/19) Johathon will bring these topics to the SP Forum

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:



Status updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - met with Bob yesterday
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
  • ECSS (Bob/Phil) - updating ECSS skills. ECSS engagement with eCommerce in the future via Ye Mao and others. Working with the L3s to better track the usage of community codes; unclassified and phython are dominating the list–talking to Tom Furlani on how they solved this problem for Bluewaters. ECSS has a new forum for staff communication. ECSS-all meeting at PEARC and will look at Climate Survey findings
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura) - 
    • Sub-award amendment process for PY8 funding is underway. Sub-awards and BusOps are working to align PY8 budgets. Sub-award amendment status can be found on the BusOps wiki: WBS 2.6.4 Business Operations
    • Annual XSEDE All-Staff meeting at PEARC18 is scheduled for Thursday, 26-July, 1:30 - 3:00 pm (ET)
      • Agenda
        • XSEDE team picture
        • Welcome & recap recent happenings - 10 mins (John)
        • L2 Highlights - 5 mins/ea (30 mins total) 
          • CEE (Kelly)
          • ECSS (Phil/Bob)
          • XCI (Dave L)
          • Ops (Greg)
          • RAS (Dave H)
          • PgO (Ron)
        • Staff Evaluation status - 30 mins (John, Ron, Lorna)

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - August 2, 2018

 

  • No labels