Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 10, 2020
  • (9/24) No update
  • (10/8): IPR13 coming up starting first week of November. L3 text will be due 11/3 and L2 text 11/5. Please try to be on time!
  • (10/22): Reminder about IPR13 (see 10/8 reminder). Risk review went out late yesterday. Please review your risks by 10/31 at the latest. 
  • (11/5): L2 inputs for IPR13 due today!

    • Linda: difficult discussing some KPIs performance since we don't have in-person training. Do our best work in-person with students & faculty. Feel that we're losing touch with the community. 
      • John: Best we can do is just interpret what is going on as best we can. Will add note to summary about impacts of COVID19 on outreach efforts & other in-person efforts. Ok to qualify that we're speculating because we don't have experience in this space. Talk about strategies we're taking: how much we're doing virtual, assessment of virtual events/contacts. 
      • Trying think about strategies & mentioned that in report response. 
      • Kelly: some things have been surprisingly positive (esp student programs), but exhibiting is really difficult. Taking a toll on staff. 
      • Students in current programs were recruited last year. Now we should be recruiting for the rest of the plan year. Getting word of mouth from existing/past participants, but recruiting pipeline is 6-12 mos and we're not filling it. 
      • Some universities have stopped travel through May already.
  • (12/3) IPR13 was submitted on time. Process went very smooth. Thanks to all! 
  • (12/17) Reminder to update your L2 section of the draft transition plan by 1/12/2021
  • (1/14) Will begin IPR14 process starting 2/1. L3 text due 2/3. L2 text due 2/8
    • Transition plan should be reviewed by all L2 areas by COB today. 

Discussion:

  • IPR14 process begins next week on Monday 2/1. L3 text due 2/3. L2 text due 2/8. 
  • PY11 Planning will begin on 2/15

Decisions:


3. Update on project level recommendations (Ron Payne

Previously:

(1/14) Added to agenda

  • REC-322: Reduce hiring/reassignment timelines: Evaluation team recommendation based on staff climate study results: Revisit staffing processes to determine how hiring and reassignment timelines can be reduced.
    • Need a tracking mechanism when there is a vacancy so these don't get lost. What are open positions & regularly check in on progress. 
    • Coordination has been done at the sites without pulling in potential resources from other sites. 
    • Not clear how L3 mgr can close loop to make sure vacant positions/time gets filled by institutions. 
    • Have a summary of open roles, how long open on the wiki. 
    • PM&R will discuss options for tracking and report back.
  • REC-323: Equity & diversity presentations at XSEDE events: Evaluation team recommendation based on staff climate study results: Consider inviting external Equity and Diversity experts from partner institutions to present at XSEDE events and discuss cultural sensitivity, awareness, and best practices.
    • Not a proponent of having people do presentations. Evidence-based processes that we should draw from. 
    • ACTION: Linda, Lizanne would like meeting with John.
    • Step 1: Suggesting half-day leadership retreat on inclusive leadership skills (L2s & above). Need outside facilitation for this. 
    • Step 2: Instead of presentations thrown at people, use study circles. Discussion process that results in more transformation. This is where you develop something that creates the right climate. 
      • Linda sends short TED talks to CEE folks & then talk about them. Create playlist of TED talks as part of regular team calls at L3 level. Take 5-10 mins to talk about topics, hear views & reactions. Not sure it would work equally across all L3 areas. Need to think about how to facilitate. Needs to be authentic  & allow people to say what they really think. 
  • REC-324: Diverse hiring: Evaluation team recommendation based on staff climate study results: encourage diverse hiring for future positions
    • People in XSEDE can make recommendations about how to attract a diverse pool, which avenues to advertise in, etc. XSEDE could put together guidelines for diverse hiring. 
    • Hit/miss–if people ask for help Linda/BP sends it. Happy to take direct questions from people, but not everyone in project knows who to ask. 
    • Virtualizing Tapia conference didn't work out. BP advertises jobs at conferences/events where a diverse audience is in attendance. Trying to make concerted effort towards this at these conferences. These orgs also run job fairs. 
    • Could put info on wiki, though not everyone goes there for info of this nature. Linda/BP to pull together info and a direct communication can be sent to all subaward PIs to raise awareness. 
    • Universities have local diversity/equity arm that people should be tapping. 
    • Ask sites to provide policies/info on their hiring process. 
    • Working with interns is the best way to get new people into the field. This is a long term commitment. 
    • Linda Akli /BP to pull together recommendations/suggestions for partner sites that can be sent out to subaward institutions and posted to the wiki where it's readily available. 

Discussion:

  • REC-322: Reduce hiring/reassignment timelines: request for info on open positions will be sent out with info on diverse hiring once that is ready.
  • REC-323: Equity & diversity presentations at XSEDE events: Linda, Lizanne 
    • Putting together plan for John. Will do L2 (with deputies) half-day training so they gain inclusive leadership knowledge. Then will funnel down through the project. 
    • Lizanne & Linda looking for people to do this training. 
    • Targeting March or July timeframe
  • REC-324: Diverse hiring: Wiki page stood up at https://confluence.xsede.org/display/XT/Increasing+Diversity+in+Hiring+for+XSEDE. Linda/BP team working on adding to this and then info will be sent out to partner institution PIs.
    • Linda has a meeting tomorrow with BP folks to work on the page/reorganize/add content. Will put out open invitations for people to contribute to it as we want it to be community driven. 

Decisions:


4. Update on terminology task force (Linda Akli ) 

Previously:

Discussion:

  •  Anticipate sharing something before next SMT call. Working to build guidance around the list. Pulling out what is really relevant to XSEDE.

Decisions:


5. Approval of Delta as L1 SP (Ron Payne  ) 

Previously:

  • (1/28) Added to agenda. Application letter circulated via email.

Discussion:

  • Unanimous approval of Delta. Ron Paynewill move this forward.
  • Delta will be live at least by Oct. 1 and possibly sooner
  • Neocortex & Voyager will be coming on later TBA. 

Decisions:

6. Solicitations released this week (John Towns )

Previously:

  • (1/28) Added to agenda 

Discussion:

  •  This conversation is focused only on how the solicitations impact XSEDE2. 
  • No impact on draft transition plan. Any other impacts that need to worry about given that there will be multiple awards?
    • What is the mapping of which awards get which things? May not be clear. Suspect we'll have to wait for people to ask. Could propose this to NSF or wait for them to make a request. Wouldn't make sense to pass everything to everybody. 
      • Will be a more detailed transition plan once awards are announced
      • Want to ensure smooth transition to minimize disruption to the community. 
      • Should we submit recommendations to Bob? Trying to guess what NSF intended or what potential proposers will want isn't in our interest. 
      • XSEDE2 project staff will only be available to do this through the end of the award. 
  • Impact on annual review process. Submission date is June 16–right at the time of our review. Our time will be consumed with preparing for the review. 
    • Have flexibility in when we have our review, but if we go early it would be difficult to get materials in early. If we go late we could run into issues getting spending approvals in place in time. Bob is sympathetic to the situation and open to us proposing alternate review dates. John inclined to do the review later. Will people be as motivated to do a good job after proposals need to be in? Can we find out from Bob how soon he needs a decision? If we say early, how quickly can he turn around a panel? Leslie to look at the Annual Report schedule to see how much earlier it could be ready.
  • A lot of effort in ECSS that is not represented in the new solicitation. ECSS is thinking about this in terms of new projects it takes on. Projects will need to be ended by the end of XSEDE2. May also start to lose ECSS staff sooner than end of project. 
    • We have flexibility in how we work with staff as they transition to other projects prior to the end of XSEDE2.

Decisions:

Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Talked with Bob & Al this morning. Mostly discussed solicitations, a bit about the draft transition plan. 
  • Tim
    • Thank you for  getting interconnections diagrams in. Hope to have progress on this soon. 

  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    •  No update
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    • Had our biweekly ECSS mgmt call yesterday. Made sure all L2/3s are aware of solicitations.
  • XCI (Dave L/Rich) -  

    • Have done some work to close out community software areas (where users can manage their own software). Will help SPs know how to advertise and users know what is available.
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -   
    • Last of hybrid cloud plan. Have moved database, XRAS services to AWS. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -  

    • Submissions are in for next XRAC meeting. Slightly lower than usual. Only about 100 submissions. New school year/pandemic may contribute. 
    • Ken & Dave looking at approach of using dollar values to assess overall allocation size, deal with multi resource combinations. Initial experiments show it is falling apart with new round of resources. Still confirming, but may have to go back to the drawing board.  
      • Any requests for OSN? Dave will check 
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira)  
    • ER is working on a social media campaign: diverse voices in computational science. Highlight users, staff, students, partners, etc. who use XSEDE resources/services from underrepresented populations once/twice per month. Please let Faith Villalobos know of any people that you think would be good to feature (er@xsede.org). 
    • Risks that we might not have anticipated as we approach the end of the project. Most of CEE & ECSS not accommodated in the solicitations. Think about this and how we'll manage this and update risks appropriately. Leslie Froeschlwill work on this
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  Annual elections were held with this unopposed slate:  Chair - Ruth Marinshaw; Vice Chair - Mary Thomas; L2 Chair - Jaime Camboriza; L3 Chair - Andy Keen; XAB reps - Dave Hancock, Dan Stanzione

    • Manish called meeting of larger institution PIs in XSEDE. Several program officers were on the call. Goal was to have the group identify gaps. Some discussion & approaches to meet gaps. Expansion of summer training workshops to year-round, etc. to help users learn how to use new/novel systems. 
    • Congrats to Ruth for being re-elected as SPF Chair!
  • UAC (Emre) -   
    • Scheduling meeting in February. Dave will participate. Will let John & Tim know when it is. 
    • Make sure UAC is aware of solicitations that have been released and if they have any concerns on how this might impact the user community. This can help us identify project risks related to this. Emre will send out solicitations & John can lead the discussion. 
      • Dave will use ~25 mins of the meeting time. Impact of solicitations can take the rest of the time.   
  • NSF (Bob C) - 


Next Meeting:     SMT - February 11, 2021


  • No labels