Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

  • Financial Portal 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 27, 2018
  • (9/27) John confirming dates for the remainder of the year.
  • (9/27) Risk Review in two weeks.
  • (9/28) Proposed XSEDE2 reporting schedule reviewed by John and sent to the SMT for review and approval.
  • (10/11) Provide more time for completion & avoid conflicts. 
    • Will require an update to PEP. 
    • John has informed Bob that this is coming. 
    • IPR7 work will occur during SC18, but most of the difficulty will fall to John
  • (10/11) Decision to move forward with the proposed new schedule. 
  • (10/25) IPR7 commences on Nov. 1. Changes to this IPR from previous ones include:
    • L2 sections should provide updates on any management changes (L2 director, L3 manager, PM change).
    • L2 section highlights that you want moved up to project level highlight, please highlight this in the template.  Ron will then pull from that for the project level highlights. High impact things. 
  • (11/8) Positive feedback from PMs re. reporting process thus far. Deeper dive into submitted content next week.  Please continue to be responsive to PMs as they try to resolve any issues/questions
  • (12/20) IPRI commences on Feb. 1. 
    • Annual report will be due May 15.
    • NSF review: dry run Monday, June 10. Review June 11-13. 

Discussion:

  • Reporting period is coming up in 2 weeks. Risk review notifications will come out next week.

Decisions:

 

3. XAB Orientation Prep (John Towns

Previously:

  • (1/15) Added to the agenda. XAB Orientation call setup for Fro. 25-Jan. 1-3pm CT. 

Discussion:

  • New members lack context about project.  Should be easy to do and looks much like opening slides for annual review (purpose/activities of each area of project), and should help down the road with their understanding. 
  • L2 expectations for call: 
    • 15-20 minutes to present/answer any questions that might come up.
    • Doesn't need to go real deep. 

Decisions:

 

4. Johns Hopkins University L3 SP Application (Ron Payne

Previously:

  • (1/15) Added to the agenda. Approval received from Lifka, Hart, Payne, Strande, Sinkovits, Towns, Peterson

Discussion:

  • Updated to make them an L2 Service Provider
  • They anticipate having a resource that can be allocated. Data sharing capabilities were noted as well. 
  • PI for Open Storage Network is at Johns Hopkins. As that environment gets set up they'll use XSEDE allocations process to allocate storage. 

Decisions:

  • Approved, but hold off on acceptance until Shawn can look at updated letter and understand exactly what they plan to do.  If using XSEDE allocation they should be L1. 

5. Financial Portal

Discussion:

Update to portal to remove ability to auto-calculate F&A rate. Question about why this change was made since it requires more work on data entry people. 

  • Some institutions' F&A rates change and could change mid-year. 
  • TACC now has to do that calculation for every employee, but F&A rates don't change. Results in 33 calculations for F&A, which seems like more work and opportunity for error.  
  • When tool was built, didn't anticipate changing F&A rates.  Changes to it changes it for entire project. That will be rectified.  Manual process is temporary until the change can be made to the program to do automated calculations and allow changes to F&A rates. 
  • 3 subawards allow F&A rates to change. 
  • F&A is locked for life of grant for some, but not for all institutions. Tool was built around that assumption, but we have found that isn't the case for 3-4 subs. Should come from NSF and trickle down to awardees.  Ron will forward John communications from SPA about this. 
  • Currently working with programmer to design change so each institution and year will be looked at separately to allow those who have changes to F&A rates, but for the majority we'll put in the auto-calculation. Don't currently have a time frame from NCSA for this change. Trying to add effort to be able to implement such changes more readily. 
  • Having to calculate per employee is especially painful.   

Decisions:

  • Will communicate timeline for automating this as soon as possible. 


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) -  
    • It is proposal season. We have the Collaborate with XSEDE page up to share info about how proposers can engage with XSEDE. John is the only person who should provide collaboration letters since he is the only one who can commit resources. If you're involved in discussions, please have them come to John for formal letter. You are encouraged to remind proposers about all options that are available for collaboration with XSEDE.
    • Have had no discussion with Bob Chadduck since govt. shutdown. John has his number if any emergency arises. IHPCSS needs alternative funding and will likely do a PIF to support that this year. Feel this sets a precedent that additional funding isn't needed, but Bob is seeking alternate funding options.  
    • Transition plan document is in good shape. Took out chunks of text that were mostly contextual. Provide your responses to John's comments/changes by Tuesday or earlier. Looking forward to feedback from NSF. 
  • CEE (Kelly) -   
    • Misunderstanding about what should be in transition plan, but think we're good to go now.  Took out forward-thinking items. Kelly made changes last night. John will go back through it and provide any necessary feedback. 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) -  
    • Trying to get handle on state of staffing. Spread across 10 sites w/ ~70 staff members. Reached out to subaward PIs to get/confirm point of contact for info on who is working in ECSS at your site & at what level. Want to be able to better assign projects to staff.
    • L3 management change in the process: Rob Quick has fully replaced Marlon. John Cazes is leaving; working with Lars who is replacing him over the next 3 months . 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
    • No update
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Staff transitions. Alex Withers is new co-L3 for security. Mike Pingleton is retiring this spring so will be working on a replacement for him.
    • Starting to discuss PY9 planning. 
    • Reinforced at Ops meeting that recommendations have been moved to JIRA so people will be on the lookout for those. 
    • More licenses for telephony are needed. Some don't have a smart phone. Pulling statistics on how many are needed
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -  
    • Now have ability to link orcid ID to user profiles & will get that out. 
    • Will roll this out first to staff as test and then work with ER to announce more broadly. 
    • First PEARC19 submission deadline is coming up soon!
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Shawn/Jonathon) - 
    • Sent final reminder for SPF leadership positions. Will send final results later today. 
    • Updates to XSEDE Federation; L2/L1 distinctions. People didn't have much feedback. Will circulate for SMT approval. 
      • If allocating a system through XRAC you should be an L1 & follow those requirements. 
    • SPF was invited by NSF to provide input re. the XSEDE follow-on.  Have invited the members to provide input & John emphasized importance of this. 
  • UAC (Emre) - 
    • Held a meeting on Jan. 7. Reviewed XSEDE user survey & provided feedback to Julie.
    • Considering planning more regular meetings around the following topics:
      • Bringing XCI in and having a focused meeting once/year. 
      • John gives report on annual review once/year.
      • John offered to do a 1-1 with PI of XSEDE. 
      • If there are other groups/ideas for topics for meetings with UAC let Emre know. 
        • If coordinating with XSEDE calendar, communicate with Ron & Leslie
  • PM&R (Scott) - 
    • In process of transitioning PCR process from PDFs/RT tickets to JIRA.  Getting close to deploying this. 
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - January 31, 2019 

 

  • No labels