Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

Discussion:

  • IPR11 compilation will begin on February 1. Email with instructions will be sent out in the next few days, and L2 PMs will be communicating with people in their area about pulling your section's part of the report together. Please be responsive and get your text in by the due date, and make sure staff in your area do the same. 
  • Risk review email was sent out earlier this week. Please be sure to review all risks assigned to you before the end of January. 

Decisions:

 

3. New NSF Service Provider Resources  (Victor Hazlewood) 

Previously:

  • (12/19) Added to agenda.  
      • Need to get status/have discussion about how things are going on this call. 
      • Open Storage Network: initial kickoff meeting was Oct 31, meeting minutes sent out to all the affected XSEDE group for integration.  Victor following up with those XSEDE groups. Entry put in RDR for Open Storage Network
      • Stony Brook: had one initial call at the summer quarterly meeting. Victor following up with Robert to do an SP kickoff in Jan
      • U Del: Scheduling kickoff meeting in January.  Doodle poll already sent to them. 
      • Will drop off Bridges-2 and Expanse for detailed status since PSC and SDSC are plugged in so well to XSEDE.  (Ken at PSC and Bob at SDSC, for example)
  • (1/16) Status of new SP resources:

    SP Resource

    Org

    Link

    PI

    NSF Award

    Target Date

    Bridges-2

    PSC

    Bridges-2 press release

    Nick Nystrom

    1928147

    Summer 2020

    Expanse

    SDSC

    Expanse press release

    Mike Norman

    1928224

    Summer 2020

    DARWIN

    U Delaware

     

    Rudi Eigenmann

    1919839

    TBD

    Open Storage Network

    Collaboration (5)

    openstoragenetwork.org

    Collaboration (5)

    1747507

    Summer 2020

    Ookami

    SUNY at Stony Brook

    Ookami press release

    Robert Harrison

    1927880

    Summer 2020

    DISCO

    Johns Hopkins Univ

    DISCO news item

    Dennice Gayme

    1920103

    TBD

Discussion:

  • RAS is aware of all of these. Darwin gave timeline of later summer for fall allocations. 
  • Dave H. hadn't heard of DISCO before. Related to Open Storage Network? 
    • Victor talked with them yesterday. MRI award that has already been awarded w/ stipulation that states they will be joining XSEDE. They still need to do XSEDE Federation application. 
    • Planning to pull team together for call after XSEDE Federation application letter is submitted
  • Cancer computer is not on the list. 
    • They still need to go through application process. Will be added once the XSEDE Federation application comes through. John will ping them re. status of their application letter.
  • Kickoff meeting with OSN was held. 
    • Need to get connected with allocations, XCI (Victor sent email to JP & Shava)
  • Kickoff meeting with U Delaware was held. Working to get that connected to allocations process by Oct. 2020 allocations cycle. 
  • Stony Brook has not been responsive to Victor so still working on that. 

Decisions:


4. Licensing for XSEDE software (David Hart) 

Previously:

  • (6/20) Added to agenda.  
  • (6/20) Email from Dave H: 

    I checked the current XSEDE github repo (github.com/xsede) and XCI has been applying the MIT license (which appears to be a reasonable choice per Dan, Svetlana and others), but with copyright assigned to XSEDE (which I believe isn't appropriate).

    The last email from Svetlana follows.

    I think we need to codify XSEDE's licensing approach and apply it consistently. This would be good to have decided before we start implementing a future "transition plan".

  • (7/18) Tabling this topic until the next call.
  • (8/15) Need to be discussed separately, legal guidance starts with Illinois, do developers have an opinion whether this is the right license? Need to create a new policy. Dave will follow up with Ron on the next steps.
  • (10/10) Dave sent Ron the info. Ron is trying to find someone at NCSA to help with this and then will have a call with that person and Dave to move this forward. 
  • (10/24) Proceed with recommendation to pursue copyright by UIUC as rep of XSEDE project with partners listed. Ron sent this to campus for feedback on copyright. Waiting for response. Software will all be open source. Ron is checking cooperative agreement to be sure copyrights aren't listed.
    • Dave is looking at the licensing side of things. Dave reached out to local legal counsel for options. 
  • (11/7) Ron & Dave met with UIUC person about copyright. Legal has now been contacted and provided a suggested wording that they're sending to us. They have to go through cooperative agreements for all subs from both XSEDE1 and 2 so this is taking a little time. Hope to have final guidance by next week to send to everyone. 
    • Choosing which open source license will be the next issue. 
  • (12/19) Language has been recommended by UIUC legal. Need to formalize what this means for developers. Question still outstanding re. language being adapted to different open source license. Can move forward with current need once we translate legal guidance into steps developers should take. Will coordinate with JP & others on this. 

Discussion:

  • Waiting for response to followup question.
  • Dave & Ron to followup. 

Decisions:


5. XDCDB and production server access policy (David Hart  ) 

Previously:

  • (12/19) Added to agenda: SMT Meeting - December 19, 2019.  
    • Following the recent XDCDB security incident, we closed/inactivated a number of XDCDB roles, and we are now fielding requests from users to turn some of them back on. We want to clarify the XSEDE approach (if not formal policy) for responding to such requests consistently.
    • Ops & RAS will: 

      • Assess all accounts (Victor will help)
      • Notify people & collect info & put into buckets of staff, SPs, etc.
      • Suggest policy for governing these things

Discussion:

  • Working through roles on XDCDB that have access to database & closing out some. Don't know where some came from so may shut those off and see if anyone complains. Not terminating any accounts that have been used in last month. 
  • Victor still working on drafting a policy.
  • Some people only access to get data for IPR. Should they email to get access? 
    • In those cases those people have not been removed. Susan still has access.  

Decisions:

6. Update on PRACE-RIST-XSEDE allocations process. (Ron Payne ) 

Previously:

  • (10/24) Added to agenda.  
    • https://prx-submit.xras.xsede.org
    • Agreement to use XRAS for any allocations requests for partnership
    • Detailed info being collected from PRACE & RIST to finalize & configure tool the proper way, get resources into RDR, etc. Need to know who at PRACE & RIST are the contact people who can respond quickly
    • John talked to SP Forum & XSEDE service providers about being involved in partnership.
    • Finalizing call itself to go out. All 3 groups have reviewed & approved. 
    • PRACE & RIST users can submit as guest or with a portal account. (Will not have to set up a portal account.)
  • (11/7) 
    • Ron met with Ken & Ester. XRAS instance has been set up & needs to be populated. Need info from PRACE and RIST to get the tool up and going still. Meeting at SC with PRACE/RIST folks to sort out final details. 
    • John discussed with SPF. Will follow up with allocated SP PIs. If this moves forward, in a year or so may do more substantial allocations. Need to make sure we don't violate any terms in their cooperative agreements with NSF. 
    • Finalizing call–should go out on Monday. Dates/template need to be reviewed by Dave (John forwarding to him today). Ron to follow up with ER so we can push this out once call is ready
  • (12/19)
    • No computing resources that need to be put into RDR for RIST as they're only providing support. 
    • Waiting for PRACE resource info. 
    • Deadline is in December. Will this be extended? John is asking this question because we don't have full info. If the decision is to extend deadline, let Dave know.

Discussion:

  • 1 submission from last month's call. There were some questions that we need more info from submitter. Discussing possible reasons for low number. 
  • Next call will open early March/close end of March. Will review in April with award allocations starting in mid-May. Will need XRAS instance for this. 
    • Working with PRACE to get resources into XRAS. 
    • Working to get PRACE & RIST reviewers set up in system so they can review. 
  • Identified where we've had some missteps. ACTION Ron Payne Ron, Dave, Ken, Phil, Bob, John to discuss this to make sure we're getting things done in a timely manner.
  • Suggestion: make continuous opportunity/always open instead of having deadlines. Could still promote at certain times. 
    • Some timing/alignment issues with Japanese but will talk about this as an option.     

Decisions:


7. Interconnections diagrams (create 2) (John Towns ) 

Previously:

Discussion:

  • How to better articulate to review panel exactly how interdependent parts of XSEDE are. Tried to compartmentalize things but makes it harder to see interdependencies. Want to articulate in clear & consistent way. 
  • Help inform NSF about some of the complexities that aren't evident to them when they're developing solicitation. If they create multiple award scenario will create some dependencies across different project. 
  • Value in having different L2 areas represent in similar way
  • Dave: take all stakeholders into account
  • Bob: focused on interconnections between L2s
  • ACTION Ron Payne John & Ron to discuss off-line. 

Decisions:


7. PIF Submission Review (Ron Payne ) 

Previously:

  • Added to agenda.  
    • Integrate the online textbook exercises with the CCRS toolkit (Details emailed to SMT 13-Jan 2020)

Discussion:

  • Despite current lack of funds, we should continue to accept submissions and put into priority list where ever we feel they fit. 
  • Phil: Nice project, but cost seems high. Moderate impact in terms of overall project. $100K to integrate with one class. Would this same cost be required for other classes? 
  • Bob: Lowers threshold for starting with parallel computing. Same concerns about cost & how that will be divided between sites. Why should this be funded separately instead of through CEE funds since this is within their scope? (John: assume this is outside their budget.)
  • Greg: Idea is good, but cost doesn't seem justified. More detail on cost would be helpful.
  • Dave H: 12 mos to complete. XSEDE could only take advantage for 8 mos. How would investment have long-term impact if we invest in it. More details of long-term implications would be helpful. 
  • Emre: Need detailed budget. Any attempt to integrate into CSRI toolkit? Where will this be hosted? If on Cornell, will they support this for expected class sizes? Any attempt to host this on XSEDE resources? 
  • Process is such that people propose an idea and get feedback about value of it and whether they should take next step and pull together more detail. Long term impact and whether the cost is only for one class would be good to get answered prior to making a decision. Ron Payneto share this back with submitter. 

Decisions:


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Talked with Bob C re. transition plan we are to deliver. Assumption we would know who subsequent awardee(s) would be. Hard to do this without knowing that. Less than 24 mos to end of project and still no solicitation. We won't know who awardee(s) is/are until long after we have to do something. 
      • Bob said to focus on core things that will have to continue and do the best we can based on our knowledge and what we feel is important. 
      • Procedures re. allocations process have been written up by RAS–important artifact to share. 
      • Other pieces like data in XDCDB–how to transition stewardship of data. Ownership issue? John needs to talk to Alex Withers, UIUC council to understand expectations of project with respect to this data. Will be of value to follow-on. Privacy concerns that we'll need to be aware of. 
      • Need to talk more about this. 
    • Phil: Had an L3 mgr ask about what is happening with follow-on. This person is interested in being involved in follow-on. Might want to share with whole project where we are with follow-on, what is happening, etc. Have talked at Quarterlies, but that may not get to all staff. 
      • Short story is that we're waiting for solicitation and need to be prepared to transition to follow-on awardee(s). Need to be careful not to use staff time to discuss a follow-on proposal. 
      • ACTION John Towns will provide a brief update about this in the next staff newsletter. 

  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Expanding ORCiD integration 
    • Revamping account creation & upgrading Liferay version
    • Code of conduct improvements. 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) - 
    • Planning ECSS all meeting next week. Will address refinements to reporting & changes in Jira to streamline and reduce overhead. Also get feedback from staff on some things related to climate study. 
    • Bob heading development of papers for PEARC20
      • Lessons learned over the year - Recruited Nancy & Ralph to be coauthors.
      • ECSS project management (led by Marques, Jay and Lonnie)
    • Composing responses to NSF blueprint doc & will add to Google doc tomorrow
    • Met with Julie to go over XUS & made some minor tweaks. 

  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
    • XCI has been working with survey team to refine questions, completing response to Blueprint, and gearing up for reporting.

  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Working to get final report for security incident. John has a draft that he needs to comment on. Victor to send note to check on it.
    • updating security standards re. requirements for XSEDE Enterprise Services (roles, accounts, etc.)
    • TN has new hardware for VM infrastructure. Working to migrate to this new hardware. Will use vmotion to move transparently. Gary working on setup for this. 

  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - 
    • Staffing: working through Ester's last week this week. NCSA likely to reach out to XSEDE re. L3 mgr to replace her. Offers have been made to fill other vacant positions. 

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  
    • Will meet next week & have elections. Also plan to discuss updates to charter & membership documents (work began in Fall 2018) and bring back to SMT. 
    • Rick Moore to talk about data workflow consultations & how SPs can engage that team
    • Bridges2 is lined up
    • Have reached out to Bob Harrison a couple times but haven't heard back. 
    • Johns Hopkins to talk about 2nd data resource. 

  • UAC (Emre) -  
    • Next meeting in early February. 

  • NSF (Bob C) - N/A

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - January 30, 2020 

  


  • No labels