Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 10, 2020
  • (9/24) No update
  • (10/8): IPR13 coming up starting first week of November. L3 text will be due 11/3 and L2 text 11/5. Please try to be on time!
  • (10/22): Reminder about IPR13 (see 10/8 reminder). Risk review went out late yesterday. Please review your risks by 10/31 at the latest. 
  • (11/5): L2 inputs for IPR13 due today!

    • Linda: difficult discussing some KPIs performance since we don't have in-person training. Do our best work in-person with students & faculty. Feel that we're losing touch with the community. 
      • John: Best we can do is just interpret what is going on as best we can. Will add note to summary about impacts of COVID19 on outreach efforts & other in-person efforts. Ok to qualify that we're speculating because we don't have experience in this space. Talk about strategies we're taking: how much we're doing virtual, assessment of virtual events/contacts. 
      • Trying think about strategies & mentioned that in report response. 
      • Kelly: some things have been surprisingly positive (esp student programs), but exhibiting is really difficult. Taking a toll on staff. 
      • Students in current programs were recruited last year. Now we should be recruiting for the rest of the plan year. Getting word of mouth from existing/past participants, but recruiting pipeline is 6-12 mos and we're not filling it. 
      • Some universities have stopped travel through May already.
  • (12/3) IPR13 was submitted on time. Process went very smooth. Thanks to all! 
  • (12/17) Reminder to update your L2 section of the draft transition plan by 1/12/2021
  • (1/14) Will begin IPR14 process starting 2/1. L3 text due 2/3. L2 text due 2/8
    • Transition plan should be reviewed by all L2 areas by COB today. 
  • (1/28) IPR14 process begins next week on Monday 2/1. L3 text due 2/3. L2 text due 2/8. 
    • PY11 Planning will begin on 2/15
  • (2/11) IPR14 moving along as expected. Planning begins on 2/15. Schedule/instructions were sent on Monday.
    • Planning to request that the PY10 NSF Panel Review be moved to the last week of June (i.e. week of 28-June) to allow reasonable time to be allotted to XSEDE team members that would actively engage in proposal development for the ACCESS solicitations. RY5 Annual Report/PY10 Program plan schedule will stay as-is. 
    • Reminder to work with your L3 managers and PMs to write new project risks and contingency plans for those.

Discussion:

  • IPR14 submitted on time. Thank you all for your efforts. 
  • PY11 planning is underway. 
    • John sent additional instructions re. incorporating guidance from the NSF Blueprint docs. Need to shift in that direction so plans align with the Blueprints. ECSS & CEE are not impacted since they are not included in the Blueprints. Try to disrupt disruption that will happen in the community with the shift from XSEDE to the follow-on awardees. 
      • Project needs to recognize NSF is setting a new direction. Project will do what we can to support that change. Understanding that we have committed to delivering a number of things as part of our cooperative agreement that aren't represented in the Blueprints.
      • ECSS discussing reaching out to PIs who have ECSS assistance to suggest that people write that support into their grants. 
        • Given the information that is publicly available from NSF there is little to no funding nor information in the NSF 21-555 solicitation, regarding an ECSS follow on (specifically the End User Support Services ACCESS Service Track). It is unlikely or at least indeterminant that there will be an award to hand XSEDE ECSS off to. In light of the previous statement it is in the best interest of the user community supported by XSEDE to wrap up all ECSS projects by the end of XSEDE.
      • CEE plans to do the same things they've been doing, but will wrap it up by end of project. 
      • Assuming Aug 2022 XRAC with allocations handed to new awardee. New awardee could be invited to final XRAC.
      • 2022 in-person quarterly meetings: March 2022 and ? August QM could allow dedicated time to complete final project report. If subsequent awardees are known, could invite them to this meeting for hand-off. 
    • Need guidance on writing final report. No one funded after end of project to write report, but much data won't be available until after the last day. Possibly only provide data through end of July and develop report in August. Like to have report finished by end of August as much as possible. Can't expect much effort past end date of project.
    • No indication of any extension past August to help with transition. They have rules that don't allow them to extend past 6 years. We would have to submit proposal. Possibly a no-cost extension could be doable. Need more direction from NSF on this. 
    • Google slides template for PY11 plan presentations at March QM is linked on the March QM wiki page and was sent by email. 
    • Several areas have activities that funds will need to be shifted for PY11 to cover them. Trying to use PY10 as baseline. If you have questions, send to xsede-admin@ncsa.illinois.edu.  
    • Reality is different now than when we had initially thought when creating spend plans. Likely no travel through all of PY10. i.e., Canada will not allow IHPCSS in-person. 
    • Look at KPI targets that might be affected by end of project issues (ie., ECSS might adjust targets down given that projects will be spinning down). 

Decisions:


3. Update on project level recommendations (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Inclusive leadership for leadership team. Working to identify people to do this. 4 people identified. 2 are available. Given workloads, aiming to have this sometime after the panel review (July/August timeframe).  Still in fact-finding mode. 

Decisions:


4. Update on terminology task force (Linda Akli ) 

Previously:

  • (1/28) Previous discussion archived at SMT Meeting - December 17, 2020
  • (1/28) Anticipate sharing something before next SMT call. Working to build guidance around the list. Pulling out what is really relevant to XSEDE.
  • (2/11) Hoped to send info out for review this week, but discovered that procedures/guidelines for adding new terms/how list will be managed is missing. Gender-related terms were also missing from the list. Task Force working to add that info and then it will be shared with SMT. 

Discussion:

  • Putting procedures together to go with the list. Everyone on the team has assignments for moving this forward. 

Decisions:


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • Requested that NSF move review to June 29-July 1, 2021 (dry run on June 28). Assume draft slides due the end of the week before this. Will be remote. Gives us a week between final submission of ACCESS proposals and review for final prep. Waiting for final response from Bob on this. 
      • May defer June Quarterly meeting to the week before the review (week of June 21). June 22-23, 2021 tentatively
  • Tim
    • No update

  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Pushing forward with webinars, recorded material, reformatting traditional in-person activities to virtual. Doing the same with educational/faculty development workshops. IHPCSS to be virtual. 
      • Trying not to lose touch with the user community. 
      • Comparative analysis for in-person events vs. transitioning them to virtual. Lizanne will discuss potential comparisons and get this set up. 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    • A lot of transition discussions. How to cleanly wrap up ECSS, when last projects will be awarded, how late we want to go, etc.  
  • XCI (Dave L/Rich) -  

    • Met with Stoneybrook. Going to be in small development phase localized to their community for first couple years. Plan to apply to be L2 SP, but won't move to being allocatable until 2023.
    • Container documentation is now a new page on XSEDE portal
    • Pilot with PSC on publishing dataset info in Research software portal 
    • Setting up a cluster at Univ of Central OK. Started to deliver on partnership with Natl Center on Genome Support. 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -   
    • Questions re. new solicitation breaking things up. Thinking about risks
      • Some latitude. Can't assume how enterprise services might be aggregated into future awards. Could be split up. Just don't know. 
      • Duo used across a bunch of these things. Operations will have to coordinate this. A bunch of risks in handing this off. 
      • Could have to transition some things to many people.  
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -  

    • Thinking about potential to be able to travel for future XRAC meetings.  
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  

    • No update
  • UAC (Emre) -   
    • Met last week.   
  • NSF (Bob C) - 


Next Meeting:     SMT - March 25, 2021 (No meeting March 11 due to XSEDE Quarterly Meeting)


  • No labels