Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. User Survey Update (Lizanne DeStefanoJulie Wernert)

Previously:

  • (1/27) Adding topic to review the plan for and status of the User Survey

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Lizanne - finalized user survey w/John 3 weeks ago. IRB is set, we are ready to go ahead. Working with Nick Berente and Joel to integrate the Stakeholder alignment, will be integrated as an additional module to the survey
  • (2/2) Julie - nicely refined instrument that will stay intact. 
  • (2/2) Ralph - UAC w/Rudi - should we ask the user community, if there are flat budgets, should we put more money into hardware or user support? ACTION Julie and Lizanne to discuss; could draft and possibly consider stakeholder alignment portion as well
  • (2/2) John - isn't specifically a part of user satisfaction but closely related. Communicate to NSF the needs of the community

Decisions:


Actions:



3. XAB (John Towns / Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - November 10, 2016
  • (1/5) Ron
    • 2016 Dec 14th call focused on process NSF plans to use during the next round of re-competition of XSEDE
      • Rudi is looking into getting community input
    • Next call: 2017 Feb Call: Wed, 2/8 – 11am-12pm ET | 10-11am CT | 9-10am MT | 8-9am PT
    • John continues to follow-up with Sandra Harpole on the open XAB seat.
  • (1/19) John - moving to next list since Sandra Harpole has not responded

Discussion:

  • (2/2) John - Toni Collis getting management approval
  • (2/2) John - need agenda topics; will touch base with Karin

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

4. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - November 10, 2016
  • (1/5) Karla 
    • IPR due 2/15 with quarter close on 1/31. Watch for emails soon for due dates for text
    • Planning will begin mid-January; inputs before March quarterly
    • PSC will provide project manager for XCI upon Janet Brown's departure. Will also need a point on UREP. ACTION Karla will send description to Ralph
  • (1/19) Karla - email from Leslie Morsek about IPR2 due 2/17; highlights language to use and timeframes
  • (1/19) Karla - Planning email will come soon as well, will begin after IPR2 writing is done

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Scott - middle of current reporting period, due to NSF 2/17

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

5. XSEDE2 Wiki Discusion (Karla Gendler)

Previously:

  • (9/29) Karla - will bring policy to SMT for review. Recommendations for accounts for non-XSEDE staff
  • (10/13) Karla - will bring policy to SMT for review. Recommendations for accounts for non-XSEDE staff
  • (10/27) Karla - Janet has sent the policy doc to Maytal and JP for review; Also awaiting security audit input
  • (11/10) Karla - finalizing policy document and will come to SMT for approval. Will also have to develop JIRA and Google Drive policy documents
  • (1/5) Karla - finalizing policy document and will come to SMT for approval. Will also have to develop JIRA and Google Drive policy documents
  • (1/19) Karla - Janet's departure transition is in motion but not yet finalized
  • (1/19) Karla - finalizing policy document and will come to SMT for approval. Will also have to develop JIRA and Google Drive policy documents

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Scott - finalizing policy document and will come to SMT for approval. Will also have to develop JIRA and Google Drive policy documents

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

6. XSEDE Website Redesign (Karla Gendler)

Previously:

  • (1/5) Maytal - Wire frames in place, need decisions from Ron and John and to understand the role of External Relations and their branding study. Initial focus is to work on the website and then move to the user portal with improved navigation, look and feel. Can do a presentation at March or June quarterly. Usability study conducted on the current website in addition to interviews; can share final report from Craig Jansen at TACC. Would be good to do another usability study 3-6 months after the new website. Craig Jansen at TACC.
  • The new architecture and the wireframes can continue to be improved upon but we need an initial design and site map to be approved to not delay the re-design process further. Nothing with a web site is set in stone but we would like to have something approved for the initial release planned at the end of this program year. On the wiki page I link to below there are two documents:

    1.       The presentation I plan to give tomorrow. I’ll make sure to keep it short but thorough enough to answer any questions.

    2.       The Usability study that I talked about at the last SMT meeting if anyone is interested in looking at the final report.

    These are both located on the XSEDE web site redesign is located on the following WIKI page: https://confluence.xsede.org/display/XT/XSEDE+Web+Site+Redesign

    • (1/19) Maytal - went through slides sent
    • (1/19) Ralph - what about scientific accomplishments?
      • Maytal - would be under About
      • Ralph - I would think we need an place that is easy to get to that points to scientific accomplishments
    • (1/19) John - infrastructure and XCI, design, use cases, how can you submit a use case
    • (1/19) Maytal - how detailed do we want to get and where do we want to include all of added information?
      • John - requirements we have identified from the community
      • Maytal - project documents area? Infrastructure is a loaded word, so we will need to see where it makes sense to put it
    • (1/19) John - link to ___ (missed it due to a sneeze)
      • Maytal - would have that from the User Portal
    • (1/19) Sergiu - assumption the User Portal remains the same?
      • Maytal - the user portal could absorb what the website is shedding. User portal will undergo another evolution that is more gradual
    • (1/19) Dave H - resources section seems a bit limiting, conveys that XSEDE resources are all we offer. Ecosystem section that would allow us to include Infrastructure and things beyond resources. Gateways could be included then under Ecosystem. 
      • Maytal - XSEDE overview could be expanded
    • (1/19) Maytal - email any additional feedback, will need approval for wireframes and architecture. Will be upgrading to LifeRay 6.2 and change from staging to workflow process
    • (1/19) John - fine with wireframes. Have a few architecture issues. Not everyone is on the call as well. Can approve via email as well. ACTION Ron request feedback from SMT with a deadline to get it approved
    • (1/19) Dave - approve wireframes.
    • (1/19) ACTION Ron will get a status from Kristin for her portion

Discussion:

Decisions:

 

Actions:



7. SP Forum and XSEDE Federation (Dan)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - November 10, 2016
  • (11/10) Victor - SP expectations document sent to John
  • (1/5) John - Software Institute letter to be a part of XSEDE from Nancy. MOU vs. letter of committment
  • (1/5) Dan - next meeting is next Thursday. Holding new officer elections. Document out for review: SP integration.
  • (1/5) Ron - SGCI SP application requesting XSEDE Federation and Service Provider Forum membership as a Level 2 Service Provider. 
  • (1/19) Ron - SMT vote for SGCI SP application requesting XSEDE Federation and Service Provider Forum membership as a Level 2 Service Provider. 
    • Yes from John, Dave H, Ralph, Greg. Will follow up with Dave Lifka and Kelly ACTION Ron
  • (1/19) J Ray - elections for SP Forum:
    • Chair: Dan Stanzione, TACC

    • Vice-chair: J. Ray Scott, PSC

    • XAB Reps: Craig Stewart, IU; Shawn Strande, SDSC 
    • Level 2 Chair: Ruth Marinshaw, Stanford 
    • Level 3 Chair: Shawn Doughty, Tufts

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Dan - Science Gateways Institute newest member. Policy around startup language. Considerations around timing for SPF to review planning process.
  • (2/2) Nancy - needs to be added into email list and Victor's integration document

Decisions:

  • SGCI LOI for level 2 SP approved.  Acceptance letter sent 1/27.

Actions:

 

8. Migrating XSEDE functions that are hosted on Quarry (Craig StewartJohn Towns)

Previously:

  • (1/12) Email from Craig: Migrating XSEDE functions that are hosted on Quarry. For this we need a PCR, but we also need a lot more people involved and at some point we need a decision from you. I am happy to offer resources on Jetstream out of my PI discretionary allocation to provide the resources needed to host the XSEDE operational infrastructure. The work of coordinating moves will take some effort from a lot of people, but it’s just work to do and we can all get it done. The key question is really for you and SMT: do you want to have the primary hosting of the XSEDE operational infrastructure on AWS, with Jetstream as a backup, or would you prefer to have the primary hosting don on Jetstream, with AWS as a backup. We’ll go ahead and start a PCR, but this project is complicated and will take more time and effort overall than moving users. I would propose that we have at least a decision from XSEDE leadership and aim to have a PCR approved by the end of XSEDE2 PY1.

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Craig - rather than replace Quarry, put them into the cloud
  • (2/2) John - would like to be able to move these around
  • (2/2) Dave L - services stay up vs.
  • (2/2) Craig - long-term discussion; ok with short-term decisions

Decisions:


Actions:


 

9. Proposed ECSS Affiliates program (Nancy Wilkins-Diehr)

Previously:

  • (1/19) There have been an increasing number of non-XSEDE staff (Campus Champions and others) who would like to be involved with ECSS, contributing their expertise on projects at no cost to the program. While this has been surprising, the inquiries continue to come in. We are formulating a pilot ECSS Affiliates program to investigate involving others in our projects.
  • The current draft of the program is at  https://docs.google.com/document/d/125DRrrwxxwG82VTK50MHa9CSyNnI2a1fUmBZEkZXVRg/edit#. Comments or edits in suggesting mode are welcome through 2/1. ECSS staff were sent a copy in December. While no immediate feedback has been received from staff, we plan to have a comment period for staff as well as a call to discuss any issues.

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Nancy - incorporating volunteers who would like to work with ECSS. Prepared to move forward and launch the program, could be utilized in other areas of the program

Decisions:


Actions:



10. Staff Offboarding/Onboarding Update (Kelly GaitherUnknown User (roskies))

Previously:

  • (1/27) Adding topic to review the status of the departure of Scott Lathrop, Kay Hunt, and Janet Brown, and plans for filling the openings.

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Ralph - Deb Nigra will replace Janet. Deb's salary is lower than Janet's; PSC had to absorb cuts in ECSS due to changed overhead rate
  • (2/2) Kelly - Kay will be replaced by a new hire and Dana and Henry
  • (2/2) John - new hire is liked but could take a few weeks
  • (2/2) Kelly - Scott's replacement will come from Shodor, Chris Hempel and Karla absorbing responsibilities in the interim
  • (2/2) Victor - there are more off-boarding components than what is currently on the list; ACTION everyone should consider what is needed in their areas; including passwords

Decisions:


Actions:


11. Collecting Science Highlights & Increasing XSEDE Citations (Unknown User (roskies)Rudolf Eigenmann)

Previously:

  • (1/27) Adding topic as a result of topic discussed during the XSEDE Weekly call with Rudi.

Discussion:

  • (2/2) Rudi - keep hearing we need more resources. Congress and NSF hears this from everyone. One way we can make this case is by showing what great things we can do with computational resources. Deserves a lot of prominence.
  • (2/2) Nancy - website comment: ECSS runtime improvements written by ER. Couldn't find it on website. Missed opportunities
  • (2/2) Dan - actively mine relevant stories
  • (2/2) John - should be able to find these when they are cited; XSEDE acknowledgements
  • (2/2) Ralph - renewal proposal checks
  • (2/2) John - will have to take multiple approaches to get it in front of all the right people

Decisions:


Actions:


12. Allocations Policy Changes Report (David Hart)

Previously:

 

Discussion:

Decisions:


Actions:

Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) 
  • CEE (Kelly) 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu)
    • Discussion of Project Improvement Fund application for KNL and virtualization expertise
    • Discussed need to capture ECSS skills in the new JIRA system, Lonnie to discuss with Karla
    • Discussed IPR due dates, reviewed templates
    • ESTEO highlight, reviewed staff assignments
    • Discussed request from Rudi to include PI question regarding how long it would have taken them to accomplish their goals without ECSS help as a KPI
    • ECSS PMs plan interviews with all L2s and L3s prior to March quarterly to discuss Sciforma usage patterns and how they will map to JIRA
    • ACTION send to Ralph or Emre topics for next UAC
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig)
  • Ops (Greg/Victor)
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken)
    • March 2017 XRAC: 200 proposals submitted for a total of 991M SU or 5.432B NUs.  As always, almost all resources are over-requested
      some by as much as 5X.  We will have somewhere around 500 reviews needed for this meeting.  162 proposals will be presented at the XRAC meeting
      38 will be reviewed by ECSS staff.
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura) 
    • PIF Idea Submission reminder: submissions received by Feb 26th will be reviewed by PRB at the March quarterly meeting.
    • Sub-award Status: 14 of 18 sub-awards in place
    • Business Operations processing flows have been defined and loaded onto the wiki.
    • A reminder to record all improvements made and recommendations received in the tracking spreadsheet (link is below).
    • New XSEDE Finance Portal documentation: WBS 2.6.4 Business Operations
  • SP Forum (Dan) 
  • UAC (Emre) 
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott)  
    • Deb Nigra at PSC has replaced Janet Brown in the PM&R group. Deb will also serve as the L2 PM for XCI. 
    • Currently, Janet's L2 PM responsibilities for XCI have been assumed by Sonia Nayak at SDSC, and Sonia is working with Deb as Deb gets acclimated to XSEDE.
    • Currently, Janet's non-L2 specific responsibilities are being handled "by committee" until Deb is ready to assume them. 
    •  
  • NSF (Rudi)

Record improvements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw/edit#gid=0

Next Meeting:  February 16, 2017

  • No labels