Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 27, 2018
  • (9/27) John confirming dates for the remainder of the year.
  • (9/27) Risk Review in two weeks.
  • (9/28) Proposed XSEDE2 reporting schedule reviewed by John and sent to the SMT for review and approval.
  • (10/11) Provide more time for completion & avoid conflicts. 
    • Will require an update to PEP. 
    • John has informed Bob that this is coming. 
    • IPR7 work will occur during SC18, but most of the difficulty will fall to John
  • (10/11) Decision to move forward with the proposed new schedule. 
  • (10/25) IPR7 commences on Nov. 1. Changes to this IPR from previous ones include:
    • L2 sections should provide updates on any management changes (L2 director, L3 manager, PM change).
    • L2 section highlights that you want moved up to project level highlight, please highlight this in the template.  Ron will then pull from that for the project level highlights. High impact things. 
  • (11/8) Positive feedback from PMs re. reporting process thus far. Deeper dive into submitted content next week.  Please continue to be responsive to PMs as they try to resolve any issues/questions
  • (12/20) IPRI commences on Feb. 1. 
    • Annual report will be due May 15.
    • NSF review: dry run Monday, June 10. Review June 11-13. 
  • (1/17) Reporting period is coming up in 2 weeks. Risk review notifications will come out next week.
  • (1/31) IPR8 reporting process begins tomorrow. 
    • PY9 Planning begins Feb. 11. 

Discussion:

  • IPR8 Copyedits were completed yesterday. John has started his review. 
  • PY9 planning is underway. Plans are due today. Budget info will be added tomorrow.  
    • L2 presentations related to PY9 plans will take place at the March quarterly. 

Decisions:

 

3. March Quarterly Meeting (Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • (1/29) Added to agenda.
  • (1/31) Will be held March 4-6 at the Embassy Suites LAX North (same as XRAC). Room block details will be sent out soon. 
    • Agenda will include PY9 planning summaries from L2s. Craig will present a 30-min plenary on ROI. Ron will send a request for other topics next week. 

Discussion:

  • Hope to have registration link posted today. 
  • Room block closes Friday. 
  • Agenda:
    • L2 plans plus a few other topics that have been requested.  If you have other sessions you would like to request, please submit ASAP so we can finalize schedule. 
    • ER working on updating the the What is XSEDE video.  Script went out for review.  ER will be doing video taping during Quarterly.   Working to ensure that leaders have scheduled time to be videotaped. 

Decisions:



4. GLobus Charges in the Budget (Robert Sinkovits / Ron Payne)

Previously:

  • (2/14) Added to agenda.

Discussion:

Decisions:

  • ACTION: Ron will make sure this gets moved to the correct place. 


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) -  
    • Have started working through review of IPR8. Seems to be in good shape. Will have it done by tomorrow. 
    • Touched base with Bob yesterday. Concerned about whether we'll be able to talk to them next week if another shut-down happens.  
    • Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Collaborating with XSEDE page on the website. Has paid off.  John has had several requests for letters of collaborations.  People able to look at the page and figure out what they need. People have been grateful the information is posted. 
      • Have some feedback that may result in some changes to the page.  John will followup with appropriate people for updated info as needed. 

  • CEE (Kelly) -   
    •  Reminder: Microsurveys is a good way to get quick feedback from our users. Contact Jesse Snead or Maytal Dahan in UII if you have a microsurvey topic, or Julie/Lorna/Lizanne. 
    • June review: Beginning to see all of fruits of labors over previous years. Going to try to construct evolution of ideas/concepts/projects that started in XSEDE and off-shoots that happened.  Broadening Participation, training, student programs have all exploded. May want to think about cohesive way to talk about this during the review. 
      • Rosie awarded RU site grant off of Computing4Change concept.  Background work done by XSEDE was part of the reason she was funded. Want to tell that story. 
      • Re. June review: Given that we don't know what will happen with the govt, start preparing for review.  Bob said we can anticipate agenda will look much like last time so can plan for that.   
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) -  
    •  ECSS Mgmt Meeting: 
      • Planning to have ECSS all meeting on March 13
      • Talking about following up on training initiative & results from focus group
      • Moving forward with PIF for training initiative to enable ECSS folks to attend conferences & trainings of high value.   
      • Another potential PIF: expanding/deepening training we already do (i.e., Big data training, machine learning, AI) to benefit ECSS staff and other staff 
      • PY9 planning & identifying priorities: making sure staff has skills to lead, streamlining ECSS pipeline & get in front of projects more, follow-up with PIs that are rejected to see if they could benefit from mentoring. 
    • Sent out updated skill survey to ECSS staff earlier this week. Trying to be more proactive to get staff to get adaptive reviews in. 
    • KPI inconsistencies between L3s and ECSS as a whole. Satisfaction for some L3s 4.5/5, but 4/5 for ECSS as a whole.  Going to look more closely at that. 

  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) -
    •  Working on PY9 planning efforts

  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Working on PY9 planning efforts
    • Alex Withers is the Co L3 for Security. Getting him up to speed
    • Mike Pingleton will be retiring this spring. Plans for replacing him? 
      • Position is open. Hope to have someone in place before Mike's departure

  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -
    •  PY9 planning
    • Successfully have ORCiD integration implemented.  Need unique identifier for XSEDE.  Dave will demo at quarterly
    • Victor: Added Delaware & Johns Hopkins as L3 SPs. Vision/department as institution name is fine for now. 

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - 
    • Closing out period for Forum members to provide input to NSF about follow-ons.  Shawn Strande will summarize.
    • Note sent to SPs re. changes to local accounting systems to add new capability of managed usage. Little feedback to this so adding to next meeting agenda. 

  • UAC (Emre) - 
    • Sergiu: Plan to give John time to communicate with the group.  Likely have the next meeting sometime before the June review. 

  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - February 28, 2019 

 

  • No labels