Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)


1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl


  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 10, 2020
  • (9/24) No update
  • (10/8): IPR13 coming up starting first week of November. L3 text will be due 11/3 and L2 text 11/5. Please try to be on time!
  • (10/22): Reminder about IPR13 (see 10/8 reminder). Risk review went out late yesterday. Please review your risks by 10/31 at the latest. 
  • (11/5): L2 inputs for IPR13 due today!

    • Linda: difficult discussing some KPIs performance since we don't have in-person training. Do our best work in-person with students & faculty. Feel that we're losing touch with the community. 
      • John: Best we can do is just interpret what is going on as best we can. Will add note to summary about impacts of COVID19 on outreach efforts & other in-person efforts. Ok to qualify that we're speculating because we don't have experience in this space. Talk about strategies we're taking: how much we're doing virtual, assessment of virtual events/contacts. 
      • Trying think about strategies & mentioned that in report response. 
      • Kelly: some things have been surprisingly positive (esp student programs), but exhibiting is really difficult. Taking a toll on staff. 
      • Students in current programs were recruited last year. Now we should be recruiting for the rest of the plan year. Getting word of mouth from existing/past participants, but recruiting pipeline is 6-12 mos and we're not filling it. 
      • Some universities have stopped travel through May already.
  • (12/3) IPR13 was submitted on time. Process went very smooth. Thanks to all! 
  • (12/17) Reminder to update your L2 section of the draft transition plan by 1/12/2021
  • (1/14) Will begin IPR14 process starting 2/1. L3 text due 2/3. L2 text due 2/8
    • Transition plan should be reviewed by all L2 areas by COB today. 
  • (1/28) IPR14 process begins next week on Monday 2/1. L3 text due 2/3. L2 text due 2/8. 
    • PY11 Planning will begin on 2/15
  • (2/11) IPR14 moving along as expected. Planning begins on 2/15. Schedule/instructions were sent on Monday.
    • Planning to request that the PY10 NSF Panel Review be moved to the last week of June (i.e. week of 28-June) to allow reasonable time to be allotted to XSEDE team members that would actively engage in proposal development for the ACCESS solicitations. RY5 Annual Report/PY10 Program plan schedule will stay as-is. 
    • Reminder to work with your L3 managers and PMs to write new project risks and contingency plans for those.



3. Update on project level recommendations (Leslie Froeschl


(1/14) Added to agenda

  • REC-322: Reduce hiring/reassignment timelines: Evaluation team recommendation based on staff climate study results: Revisit staffing processes to determine how hiring and reassignment timelines can be reduced.
    • Need a tracking mechanism when there is a vacancy so these don't get lost. What are open positions & regularly check in on progress. 
    • Coordination has been done at the sites without pulling in potential resources from other sites. 
    • Not clear how L3 mgr can close loop to make sure vacant positions/time gets filled by institutions. 
    • Have a summary of open roles, how long open on the wiki. 
    • PM&R will discuss options for tracking and report back.
    • (1/28): request for info on open positions will be sent out with info on diverse hiring once that is ready. Tracking will be built into offboarding workflow. 
    • (2/11): Request to send info on vacant positions added to email that will be going out to subaward PIs soon.
  • REC-323: Equity & diversity presentations at XSEDE events: Evaluation team recommendation based on staff climate study results: Consider inviting external Equity and Diversity experts from partner institutions to present at XSEDE events and discuss cultural sensitivity, awareness, and best practices.
    • Not a proponent of having people do presentations. Evidence-based processes that we should draw from. 
    • ACTION: Linda, Lizanne would like meeting with John.
    • Step 1: Suggesting half-day leadership retreat on inclusive leadership skills (L2s & above). Need outside facilitation for this. 
    • Step 2: Instead of presentations thrown at people, use study circles. Discussion process that results in more transformation. This is where you develop something that creates the right climate. 
      • Linda sends short TED talks to CEE folks & then talk about them. Create playlist of TED talks as part of regular team calls at L3 level. Take 5-10 mins to talk about topics, hear views & reactions. Not sure it would work equally across all L3 areas. Need to think about how to facilitate. Needs to be authentic  & allow people to say what they really think. 
    • (1/28): Putting together plan for John. Will do L2 (with deputies) half-day training so they gain inclusive leadership knowledge. Then will funnel down through the project. 
      • Lizanne & Linda looking for people to do this training. 
      • Targeting March or July timeframe
  • REC-324: Diverse hiring: Evaluation team recommendation based on staff climate study results: encourage diverse hiring for future positions
    • People in XSEDE can make recommendations about how to attract a diverse pool, which avenues to advertise in, etc. XSEDE could put together guidelines for diverse hiring. 
    • Hit/miss–if people ask for help Linda/BP sends it. Happy to take direct questions from people, but not everyone in project knows who to ask. 
    • Virtualizing Tapia conference didn't work out. BP advertises jobs at conferences/events where a diverse audience is in attendance. Trying to make concerted effort towards this at these conferences. These orgs also run job fairs. 
    • Could put info on wiki, though not everyone goes there for info of this nature. Linda/BP to pull together info and a direct communication can be sent to all subaward PIs to raise awareness. 
    • Universities have local diversity/equity arm that people should be tapping. 
    • Ask sites to provide policies/info on their hiring process. 
    • Working with interns is the best way to get new people into the field. This is a long term commitment. 
    • Linda Akli /BP to pull together recommendations/suggestions for partner sites that can be sent out to subaward institutions and posted to the wiki where it's readily available. 
  • (1/28): Wiki page stood up at Linda/BP team working on adding to this and then info will be sent out to partner institution PIs.
    • Linda has a meeting tomorrow with BP folks to work on the page/reorganize/add content. Will put out open invitations for people to contribute to it as we want it to be community driven. 


  • REC-322: Reduce hiring/reassignment timelines: Request to send info on vacant positions added to email that will be going out to subaward PIs soon.
  • REC-324: Diverse hiring: Wiki page is now complete. Link to be send to subaward PIs soon.
  • REC-323: Equity & diversity presentations:
    • No update at this time. Linda & Lizanne to provide update soon. 


4. Update on terminology task force (Linda Akli ) 


  • (1/28) Previous discussion archived at SMT Meeting - December 17, 2020
  • Anticipate sharing something before next SMT call. Working to build guidance around the list. Pulling out what is really relevant to XSEDE.


  •  Hoped to send info out for review this week, but discovered that procedures/guidelines for adding new terms/how list will be managed is missing. Gender-related terms were also missing from the list. Task Force working to add that info and then it will be shared with SMT. 


5. Discussion of SP Forum applications received (Ron Payne  ) 


  • (2/11) Added to agenda. 
  • Fluid Numerics (L3): Application letter circulated via email.
  • Jetstream2 (L1): Application letter circulated via email.


  • Fluid Numerics: 
    • No rules against having a commercial org as an SP
    • Sensitive data could be an issue. 
    • What would they bring? Given their business model of fee for service–can't use XSEDE to push/advertise their service. Would need to inform them of this to confirm their understanding. Clear acknowledgement added to their letter that they won't use this as a sales opportunity 
    • What would be their role as an SP? What do they bring to the table?
      • Cloud vendor as value-added partner. 
      • Not providing amount of cloud resources. Hint at providing educational/training resources, but don't concretely say what they'll provide. Seems to be more of a support service agreement.
      • L3s aren't required to provide resources. No L3 is required to offer anything to the community. L3s are exposing campus to the rest of the resources at the higher level so their campus is plugged into the larger community. 
      • What is synergy between what they do and what XSEDE is trying to do.   
      • All SPs offer input into XSEDE activities
      • Agree to make their resource known through a few places we have in XSEDE. Make community aware of resources via XSEDE mechanisms. They could see this as a benefit. 
    • They don't state there is a charge, but also don't say it's free. 
    • Open door for commercial entities to enter. Could be good for community if more commercial vendors join, but might need to go back to the SP documents to clearly set up terms for participation of commercial companies. 
    • They helped organize hackathon with NCSA
    • If they're a cloud/HPC vendor, what would it mean for them to become L1/2 resource. NSF declares which resources must be allocated through XSEDE. Could allow those with NSF grant funds who want to use a cloud vendor to be assured that the resource is aligned with NSF/XSEDE. Successor awards will be expected to do these kinds of allocations, so starting this now could be good. This needs further discussion. 
    • They are reaching out to other academic projects. 
    • Phil: in favor. Say we're not in the position to consider them as L2/1 at this time, but open to discussion about this. 
    • Ruth: in favor pending clarification that this won't involve sales for them
    • Tim: Need some understanding that this is an exploratory relationship. If they become L1 resource, they would defacto get business from XSEDE. Not an opportunity to get names/mailing list. If they want to move to L2 or L1 would require another application. Talk to SP Forum about this? 
    • Greg: send to SP Forum for input
    • Dave: that isn't part of the approval process. No complicated process to remove someone from SPF. Could improve conditional on their behavior not being sales-oriented or they will be removed. 
    • Consider revisiting SPF charter documents? Late in the game to invest time in this. Risk is low enough we can afford to be reactionary. 
    • Dave L: Have a vendors forum for this. They won't contribute to getting work done. 
    • If people are using commercial cloud resources, is it better for them to go directly with them or have the SPF involved to possibly have a better cloud resource/experience. 
    • They would be a better fit to work with cloud bank or get exposure by exhibiting at PEARC.
    • If we don't want commercial vendors to participate, then we need to take a firm stance on that. 
    • “Level 3” Service Providers are the most loosely coupled within the XSEDE Federation; they will advertise the characteristics of one or more digital services via XSEDE mechanisms, might make those resources or services accessible via XSEDE compatible interfaces but need not make digital services available “locally” via XSEDE services or interfaces, and are not required to share services with the XSEDE user community. Level 3 SPs are an important way for making the community aware of the rich resources that exist beyond the formal structure of the XSEDE program and the services provided by the Level 1 and 2 SPs, and providing a means for much broader input into the XSEDE governance process. A Level 1 or Level 2 Service Provider in the XSEDE Federation is generally associated with an award or funding agreement, representing specific services and/or resources to be provided, while a Level 3 Service Provider in the XSEDE Federation is generally associated with an organization on a campus that provides local resources

    • If you want to know more about the Fluid Numerics lead, you can listen to


  • Jetstream2 approved
  • Fluid Numerics: Bring this to the SP Forum for their input. Wait for that input before making a decision.  
    • Request clarification to share with SPF re: what they will bring to the table, what they hope to get out of it. 

Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    • No update 
  • Tim
    • No update

  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • Portal is on older version of Liferay that is out of support. Effort required to get it up to the current version of Liferay doesn't make sense at this point in project lifecycle. Derek concerned about security. Will be proactive about Liferay vulnerabilities. Team will look at this monthly. NSO team does regular scans of system for vulnerabilities.  
    • Adding checkbox to account create to indicate acceptance of code of conduct
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) -
    • Discussing transition plans re. follow-on. Nothing decided yet. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Rich) -  

    • Finished IPR14 tasks.
    • Tabitha: kickoff call with Delta team. They will be entering early usage in July. 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -   
    • Finished IPR14 tasks
    • Solicitations: discussing implications for services moving forward/transition planning. 
    • Completed hybrid cloud plan. Not planning to move any other services through end of project. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) -  

    • Preparing for March XRAC
    • Dealing with new SPs. OSN has a request in system and not yet prepared to accept AMIE messages to set up the project. Working on resolving this. 
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  

    • No update
  • UAC (Emre) -   
    • Will meet Feb. 19. Plan to discuss allocations policy update and ACCESS solicitations. 
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting:     SMT - February 25, 2021

  • No labels