Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - May 9, 2019
  • (5/23) Annual Report was submitted on time last Friday. We continue to improve with this process. Testament to the entire team. This is the most significant document we produce every year. 
    • 100% compliance on the risk review again. 
  • (6/20) Email with due dates for August report will be coming out in mid-July. Please try to get your information to your PMs on time!
  • (7/18) See email from Noni Ledford (new PM) for reporting due dates: All text due to your PM by Aug. 8. 
  • (8/12) Thank you to everyone for getting your IPR9 content in to your PMs on time! Final report due 8/22
  • (8/29) IPR9 submitted on time. Is now available in IDEALS and on the Reporting page in the wiki. IPR10 will be due in November. More  coming on that later. 
  • (10/10) Compiling IPR10 will begin in 3 short weeks. 
    • Note that L3 text is due to PMs by Monday, 11/4. L2 text is due by Wednesday 11/6. Please work with your teams to ensure these deadlines are met.
  • (10/24) Will begin working on IPR10 next Friday. L3 text is due to PMs by Monday, 11/4. L2 text is due by Wednesday 11/6. 
  • (10/24) Suggesting language to be added to each L2 area of the report was sent out on Monday. If you haven't already responded to Leslie confirming that this language is good or requesting changes, please do so by tomorrow. 
  • (11/7) All IPR10 text/data should be to your area project manager by COB TODAY! Contact Leslie or your area project manager with any questions. 
  • (12/19) IPR11 production will begin on 2/1/2020 and PY10 planning will commence shortly after. 

Discussion:

Decisions:

 

3. Licensing for XSEDE software (David Hart) 

Previously:

  • (6/20) Added to agenda.  
  • (6/20) Email from Dave H: 

    I checked the current XSEDE github repo (github.com/xsede) and XCI has been applying the MIT license (which appears to be a reasonable choice per Dan, Svetlana and others), but with copyright assigned to XSEDE (which I believe isn't appropriate).

    The last email from Svetlana follows.

    I think we need to codify XSEDE's licensing approach and apply it consistently. This would be good to have decided before we start implementing a future "transition plan".

  • (7/18) Tabling this topic until the next call.
  • (8/15) Need to be discussed separately, legal guidance starts with Illinois, do developers have an opinion whether this is the right license? Need to create a new policy. Dave will follow up with Ron on the next steps.
  • (10/10) Dave sent Ron the info. Ron is trying to find someone at NCSA to help with this and then will have a call with that person and Dave to move this forward. 
  • (10/24) Proceed with recommendation to pursue copyright by UIUC as rep of XSEDE project with partners listed. Ron sent this to campus for feedback on copyright. Waiting for response. Software will all be open source. Ron is checking cooperative agreement to be sure copyrights aren't listed.
    • Dave is looking at the licensing side of things. Dave reached out to local legal counsel for options. 
  • (11/7) Ron & Dave met with UIUC person about copyright. Legal has now been contacted and provided a suggested wording that they're sending to us. They have to go through cooperative agreements for all subs from both XSEDE1 and 2 so this is taking a little time. Hope to have final guidance by next week to send to everyone. 
    • Choosing which open source license will be the next issue. 
  • (12/19) Language has been recommended by UIUC legal. Need to formalize what this means for developers. Question still outstanding re. language being adapted to different open source license. Can move forward with current need once we translate legal guidance into steps developers should take. Will coordinate with JP & others on this. 

Discussion:

Decisions:


4. XDCDB and production server access policy (David Hart  ) 

Previously:

  • (12/19) Added to agenda.  
    • Following the recent XDCDB security incident, we closed/inactivated a number of XDCDB roles, and we are now fielding requests from users to turn some of them back on. We want to clarify the XSEDE approach (if not formal policy) for responding to such requests consistently.

Discussion:

  • Besides RAS staff there are 15 or so roles that exist to support various services, AWS accounts, etc. 51 accounts have access to XDCDB–some we know what they're for and others we're not sure. Working through that with relevant parties. 
  • Need strong policy statement on who should have access or give RAS the ability to say no. 
  • SP staff is a gray area. SP might use as informal integration mechanism
  • What if staff at a partner site wants access to servers. 
  • There is an XSEDE enterprise security guide: http://hdl.handle.net/2142/97877. Could add this to that. Add guidelines/policy to that doc to cover XDCDB. 
  • Propose adding account/role access policies 
  • Victor is reach out to say we've had a security incident so are reviewing all accounts and access policies. Have a group review these. 
  • Susan Mehringer has a ticket to get her access back–needs this to pull data for IPRs. Those who have access to pull data for IPRs may not find out they've been denied access until it's time to pull their data. 
    • Susan is XSEDE staff so will support her access. This is more about people at institutions who aren't staff. 
    • If people need it solely for pulling data for IPRs could turn on during that period only to minimize security
  • SP perspective: XSEDE needs to do discovery with each site to understand how & why they use this, what impact of removing access will be. Need to do this discovery before making a decision. 
    • Plan to do that. 

Decisions:

Ops & RAS will: 

  • Assess all accounts (Victor will help)
  • Notify people & collect info & put into buckets of staff, SPs, etc.
  • Suggest policy for governing these things 

5. Update on PRACE-RIST-XSEDE allocations process. (Ron Payne ) 

Previously:

  • (10/24) Added to agenda.  
    • https://prx-submit.xras.xsede.org
    • Agreement to use XRAS for any allocations requests for partnership
    • Detailed info being collected from PRACE & RIST to finalize & configure tool the proper way, get resources into RDR, etc. Need to know who at PRACE & RIST are the contact people who can respond quickly
    • John talked to SP Forum & XSEDE service providers about being involved in partnership.
    • Finalizing call itself to go out. All 3 groups have reviewed & approved. 
    • PRACE & RIST users can submit as guest or with a portal account. (Will not have to set up a portal account.)
  • (11/7) 
    • Ron met with Ken & Ester. XRAS instance has been set up & needs to be populated. Need info from PRACE and RIST to get the tool up and going still. Meeting at SC with PRACE/RIST folks to sort out final details. 
    • John discussed with SPF. Will follow up with allocated SP PIs. If this moves forward, in a year or so may do more substantial allocations. Need to make sure we don't violate any terms in their cooperative agreements with NSF. 
    • Finalizing call–should go out on Monday. Dates/template need to be reviewed by Dave (John forwarding to him today). Ron to follow up with ER so we can push this out once call is ready
  • (12/19)
    • No computing resources that need to be put into RDR for RIST as they're only providing support. 
    • Waiting for PRACE resource info. 

Discussion:

  • Deadline is in December. Will this be extended? John is asking this question because we don't have full info. If the decision is to extend deadline, let Dave know.

Decisions:


6. Interconnections diagrams (create 2) (John Towns ) 

Previously:

Discussion:

  • Feel this is busy work. 
  • Uncertainty about how to approach this. 

Decisions:

  • Table this topic until January when John can share his thoughts. 


7. New NSF Service Provider Resources  (Victor Hazlewood  ) 

Previously:

  • (12/17) Added to agenda.  
    • From Victor: "XSEDE has no less than six Service Provider Resources that were awarded by NSF to be some form of an allocated resource in 2019.  Three of the six are at organizations that have never been integrated into XSEDE (so the integration is steep).  This is very unusual and I wanted this on the SMT call agenda because I think I am going to need help to keep track of status of integration of all of these resources at the same time.  I would like to elevate the coordination and status of these to the SMT so items do not get dropped.  Also since I am supposed to keep one of the NSF Program Officers in the loop on Open Storage Network there is more visibility for how we do this and keep that program officer notified of progress."

      SP Resource

      Org

      Link

      PI

      NSF Award

      Target Date

      Bridges-2

      PSC

      Bridges-2 press release

      Nick Nystrom

      1928147

      Summer 2020

      Expanse

      SDSC

      Expanse press release

      Mike Norman

      1928224

      Summer 2020

      DARWIN

      U Delaware

       

      Rudi Eigenmann

      1919839

      TBD

      Open Storage Network

      Collaboration (5)

      openstoragenetwork.org

      Collaboration (5)

      1747507

      Summer 2020

      Ookami

      SUNY at Stony Brook

      Ookami press release

      Robert Harrison

      1927880

      Summer 2020

      DISCO

      Johns Hopkins Univ

      DISCO news item

      Dennice Gayme

      1920103

      TBD

Discussion:

  • Need to get status/have discussion about how things are going on this call. 
  • Open Storage Network: initial kickoff meeting was Oct 31, meeting minutes sent out to all the affected XSEDE group for integration.  Victor following up with those XSEDE groups. Entry put in RDR for Open Storage Network
  • Stony Brook: had one initial call at the summer quarterly meeting. Victor following up with Robert to do an SP kickoff in Jan
  • U Del: Scheduling kickoff meeting in January.  Doodle poll already sent to them. 
  • Will drop off Bridges-2 and Expanse for detailed status since PSC and SDSC are plugged in so well to XSEDE.  (Ken at PSC and Bob at SDSC, for example)

Decisions:

  • Victor will add this to the upcoming agendas.


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - No update
  • CEE (Kelly) - No update
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) - Planning an ecss-all call in January to address climate survey issues (esp, improving communications) and to introduce our streamlined guidelines for managing workplans and reporting. 
    • Working on contributions to PEARC20. 
    • Bob made good progress cutting our open recommendations by half and we'll finish those up in January.

  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - RACD wrapped up UREP process this past week. Started discussing response to Blueprint doc. 

  • Ops (Greg/Victor) - XDCDB incident: Alex & others have done a report we'll be reviewing. 
    • Looking at Ops transition plan to make sure it's still accurate. 
    • Climate study responses: talked with staff about evaluations etc. 

  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) - Ester Soriano (L3 for A3M) is taking a new job at Cornell. Leaving NCSA in mid-January. She 
    • Frontera is accepting allocations via XRAS

  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - In process of updating SPF charter. 
    • Will be having elections at first meeting in 2020. Hope to have Johns Hopkins talk about their MRI resource during that meeting as well. 
  • UAC (Emre) - Met last week. Julie presented User Survey instrument. Dave Hart will discuss field of science list at the next meeting. 
  • NSF (Bob C) - N/A

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - January 16, 2020 (January 2nd call cancelled)

  


  • No labels