Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:



Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Karla Gendler

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - May 24, 2018
  • (6/21) Scott - about half-way through the current reporting cycle that runs May through July. Timelines will go out in July for an August report prep time.
  • (6/21) Ron - Annual Report was approved, and it has been loaded into IDEALS

Discussion:

  • (7/19) Karla - IPR L2 text due to project managers 8/9. Got an extension from NSF, final due 8/22. Email from Leslie Morsek coming early next week during PEARC. Questions from John via your PM around 8/15, please be responsive.
  • (8/2) Karla - IPR cycle starting this week and the final is due 8/22. 8/8 is when L2/L3 text due. Template has changed, text should convey the story about the metrics as if presenting to NSF panel.

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:

  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need


3. XSEDE External Code of Conduct - Phasing into website (Ron PayneMaytal Dahan

Previously:

  • (6/8) - Added to agenda
    • Suggested phases:
      • Phase I - basic wording on the site since there was clear directive from NSF regarding harassment and repercussions for grantees.  web page: https://www.xsede.org/codeofconduct
      • Phase II – create the form for reporting. Need ETA
      • Phase III – add it to the portal account creation and training registration forms as a check off box indicating read and understand. Need ETA
  • (6/21) - Suggested phases: 
    • Phase I - basic wording on the site since there was clear directive from NSF regarding harassment and repercussions for grantees.  web page: https://www.xsede.org/codeofconduct
    • Phase II – create the form for reporting. Need ETA
    • Phase III – add it to the portal account creation and training registration forms as a check off box indicating read and understand. Need ETA

Discussion:

  • (8/2) Phase II and III ETA dates needed.
  • (8/2) Maytal - 2-4 week estimate on the reporting form, will talk to team about the checkbox. Break out training and account creation to two different tasks since those require different amounts of work.

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:



4. XSEDE Service Provider Forum Membership (Shawn Strande / David Hart / Philip Blood

Previously:

  • (7/10) - Added to agenda
    • Email thread concerning a single institution adding multiple resources/services to the SPF
    • Phil Blood's question about the possibility of international entities joining the SPF

Discussion:

  • (7/19) Johathon will bring these topics to the SP Forum
  • (8/2) Bioburst approved and reps have been invited to meetings. Had face-to-face meeting at PEARC18 and posted notes. Continue to schedule topics for future meetings. L3 voting and membership topic: multiple L3 at a given SP and how they contribute to voting. The SPF charter makes it clear that there are 2 separate voting lines: XSEDE vs. non-XSEDE business. 
  • Dave - less concerned about the formalities of the voting process. SDSD asked for L3 status for a resource. Other sites submit status reports for their organization. Confusing that L3 members that are either the organization or the resource. Why is that an option and is it valuable–could we make it less confusing; membership granted to organization
  • Shawn - SP Forum vs. XSEDE Federation
  • John - this was brought up with the chartering process but many are still open issues. Membership in the SP Forum is different from the XSEDE Federation. You do not need to be in the Federation to be in the Forum. You do need to be in the Forum to be in the Federation. Many of these are SP Forum issues–it is only when they want to be in the Federation as well that these lines blur. Track 2 award projects is who XSEDE partners with, and we need their representation at the SP Forum. These distinctions are made in the Charter. Do we still need dual Charter situation or could we make it more sane now? 
  • Dave - how important has this distinction been in the past 7 years? 
  • John - difficult to tease apart
  • Shawn - Indiana is another example...would like to have a side discussion to streamline. From the Forum point of view is that resources that come in are the first-order citizens. One vote for an L3. Could look at the current list of members to see how they are resources or something else.
  • Victor - voting is handled fairly well in Charter. Some SPs have L1, L2, and/or L3–if we register as institutions, we run into issues where there are distinctions in types of resources
  • Shawn - resource comes first, institution comes second
  • Dave - flexibility vs. confusion. There is also no mechanism for a timeframe to reconsider inclusion. If you get 2 centers at Indiana, in the database this is difficult
  • Shawn - move to reconsider the Charter with the SP Forum and make a recommendation to XSEDE and the SMT sometime in the next month
  • John - MRI awardees who are L2 and resources is the exception
  • Shawn - XSEDE has created a rich ecosystem and we want to ensure that going forward
  • Dave - should we reconsider the L3 entry point or better explain it

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:



5. XSEDE PY8 PIF Review (Laura T. HerriottSonia Nayak

Previously:

  • (7/19) - Added to agenda
    • Email with Phase 2 Planning information sent to leadership team for PY08-01 and PY08-02

Discussion:

  • (8/2) Need vote to Not Fund, Advance to Phase 3 (Design), or Fund

Decisions:

  • (8/2) All votes Yes for PY08–01 to be funded
  • (8/2) All votes Yes for PY08-02 to be funded

Actions:


6. XUP Discovery (Sergiu Sanielevici)

Previously:
  • (7/31) - Added to agenda
    • Easing discovery of frequently required XRAS actions (Extension, Supplement): prominent visibility in the XUP, link landing directly on the options selection in XRAS. 

E.g. add a "Supplement/Extend" button to the "Allocations" bar for each grant listed in https://portal.xsede.org/group/xup/allocations/usage ?

Discussion:

  • (8/2) Sergiu - Maytal and XRAS team; ACTION Dave take to team for consideration and bring in Maytal

Decisions:

  • note

Actions:


Status updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • SP Forum (Shawn) - 
  • UAC (Emre) - John: letter off to Bob ACTION John will do by 8/3. Will start planning for early Fall meeting, let Emre know of any topics
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) - 
  • NSF (Bob) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - August 16, 2018

 

  • No labels