Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

NAMEPRESENT ?/X
Ron PayneX
Laura Herriott?
John Towns?
Kelly Gaither?
Emre Brookes?
Dan Stanzione?
Karla Gendler?
Scott WellsX
Dave Lifka?
Greg PetersonX
Victor Hazlewood?
Scott LathropX
Ralph RoskiesX
Nancy Wilkins-Diehr?
Sergiu SanieleviciX
Dave Hart?
Ken HackworthX
Jim LupoX
Craig StewartX
Rudi Eigenmann?


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meeting if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

 

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

  • Nancy/John Cazes - Draft note to S2I2 PIs.pdf
    • Closed the loop but developers who need resources; this is targeted email to see if there are any questions
  • Victor - MOU with EGI
    • Send copy of OSG MOU

2. XAB (John)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Laura - will need another science rep, so please send John suggestions
  • (6/23) Ron - will also need to assign a chair
  • (7/8) Ron - Per PEP chair assignment expected by fall 2016 
  • (8/4) 
    • Rotating 3 members off and will be requested a new under-represented team member
    • Next meeting 8/17 and will update them on Review and award process, the Project Improvement Plan process, NSCI and XSEDE's Role, and XAB expectations (including assigning a Chair, and a short written summary of meeting calling out)

Discussion:

  • (8/18) John - XAB yesterday and provided update to date. Discussed the Project Improvement Fund process Ron drafted; will get broader XSEDE feedback as well before PY7 planning process. Also discussed naming an XAB Chairperson who would also write a Summary Report for each meeting. NSCI and the role of XSEDE tabled to next meeting. 

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • (8/18) John - send list of new XAB names to SMT for input

 

3. Reports and Plans from XSEDE1 to XSEDE2 (John) [change this next meeting to Reporting]

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - August 4, 2016

  • (8/4) John - will have to complete the final report for XSEDE1. We also have Review feedback report and a list of recommendations. Would like to complete the final report by the end of October. Will also file a Project Outcomes report filed, a one-page summary to be seen by non-technical/government
    • Ralph - what is the point of ammending the report based upon feedback?
    • John - NSF wants to use this as an example of how things should be done and how other projects are run
  • (8/4) Karla - starting a reporting process project as we move toward Google Docs. First report is due in November, so hoping to have a plan by end of September
  • (8/4) Victor - Data Management Plan - snapshot or archive. Ron is requesting storage space at NCSA. Ticket system and information services complete. Working on other transition items. Transition to the new organization and the services we are not continuing. Will hand off to Ron

Discussion:

  • (8/18) John - no formal award yet but expected soon. Rudi and John to touch base for roll out plan
  • (8/18) Karla - schedule for the final report coming together before SC and due in October. XSEDE2 reporting process documentation and new set of instructions, template, etc. Planning process will quickly follow.

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • Ron to send request to Victor for closeout status of RT system transition
  • Ron to setup a call with Greg, JP & Ron to discuss Globus responsibilities
  • Maytal requested a Quarterly Leadership Radar identifying major project level activities, new tools/functionality released, etc. - Ron to proposal options to serve the need

 

4. XSEDE2 Wiki Discusion (Janet)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Maytal - ready to freeze wiki on June 30th
  • (6/23) Janet - installed, PM and L2 and L3 managers have access, goal to have structure laid out by 7/1. confluence.xsede.org but please do not make changes yet

  • (6/23) Shava - can login with XSEDE credentials
  • XSEDE 2 Wiki up with structure/landing pages defined.  Content is being loaded by staff across the project.  Wiki was made open with read-only permissions as of 30-June.

  • XSEDE 1 Wiki locked with read only access

  • (8/4) Karla - questions regarding the public nature of the wiki. Janet is asking for more guidelines from Rudi. Campus Bridging has requested a separate space, so we need to consider how many seats we are purchasing and what is our policy going forward
  • (8/4) Victor - security and networking groups for example do have private information. Doing some private pages.
  • (8/4) John - default answer is not private unless needed
  • (8/4) Nancy - ECSS workplans could be revealing
  • (8/4) Dave - free to add content? Karla - yes

Discussion:

  • (8/18) Karla - previous wiki hosted separate sites for UAC, etc. Janet is preparing a list of questions we need to get answered
  • (8/18) John - what is the policy on public access to pages?
    • Personnel information, security, group meeting notes and more should remain private
    • Group meeting notes should be public or in the very least decisions and actions public
    • Rudi - need to see how input provided affected decisions made

Decisions:

 

Actions:


5. XSEDE17 Conference Update (Dave)

Previously:

 

Discussion:

  • (8/4) Dave - XSEDE17 and independence from XSEDE
    • No funding from XSEDE and not a formal deliverable under XSEDE2
    • UIUC's responsibility as a steward of XSEDE as a deliverable
    • Sponsors may take issue with the name change if not described as a continuation
    • Conference branding, XSEDE.org for mailing lists, wiki pages, website, etc.
    • Staff participation is volunteer only and make sure local supervisor pays for travel understands daily duties and travel
    • Campus Champions may have to submit a proposal to participate, for example, if totally separate
    • Sponsorship and whether XSEDE is a sponsor to maintain the connection
    • Evaluation and XSEDE
    • Networking was in Tim's SOW ACTION need to clarify this
    • Dave, Sergiu, Kelly need to talk to IEEE ACTION
    • Contract in place very soon, might need an interim webpage as a starting point for the rebranding exercise
  • John 
    • Suggests a parallel session at the quarterly meeting ACTION Laura
    • Independent website
    • As the PI I strongly encourage involvement in this conference
    • Question of travel charged to XSEDE
    • Additional discussion needed
    • Will also have Program Officer change
  • (8/18) Dave - committee is progressing. IEEE planning guide showed that we are 15 months behind. An official name is needed very soon.
    • John - PIs isolating list
    • Dave - webpage and language from John endorsing value of conference transition

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 


6. SP Forum and XSEDE Federation (Dan)

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: XSEDE 1.0 SMT Meeting Archive
  • (6/23) Victor - letters of intent on wiki, SP Forum membership on website--they don't match
    • Laura - working with Dana Brunson to make sure going forward on XSEDE2 it is; will follow up
  • Dan - Vice chair, Jim Lupo retired 6/30.  J. Ray Scott is the new chair

  • Dan - Gathering guidance on discussion about how XSEDE brand can help L3 members.  L3 Information has been collected and added to SW registry.

  • ACTION Add Ray to these meetings and email distribution list
  • Pilot for account mechanisms and XCI process
  • Stanford and South Dakota now members
  • Victor - Greg submitting NICS as L2 soon; ACTION meet with Amy and Dave to map out
  • Dan - Not all federation members understand change from X1 to X2, request is for each L2 to attend a call in Aug or Sept to provide 15 min describe changes in their area from XSEDE 1 to XSEDE 2.  Calls are Thurs. @ 4pm ET.  L2's please contact Dan directly to schedule a time.

Discussion:

 

Decisions:

 

Actions:



7. New XSEDE2 Capability Delivery Plans (Dave)

  • Purpose: Introduce the SMT to new Capability Delivery Plans developed by the XCI team and to request feedback over the next ~2 weeks.
  • (6/23) JP - concise picture of plan for each use case. CPD is non-engineering public-facing document. Anyone on SMT could see these and help to identify gaps. New XCI is asking SMT and UREP to look over initial CDPs.
    • large file data usage
    • data analytics related software

Previously:

 

Discussion:

  • Dave - CPDs are the lifeline for XSEDE2. Wants to be able to work across XSEDE area to identify new use cases so that we have a new pipline for capabilities
  • Nancy - user surveys might have suggestions. CPDs impact labor in other areas. Can ask users for input as well.
  • Dave - what is the right communication path to stay connected? Need to be as proactive as possible
  • Ralph - changes in allocations have been requested
  • Victor - we have a lot of interest from the un-allocated SPs, focus on SP forum requested access to things we already have–those could provide good impact numbers

Decisions:

 

Actions:

  • ACTION JP sent email to leadership 6/22, please post feedback by July 15

 

8. August Quarterly Meeting (Ron/Laura)

Previously:

 

Discussion:

 

Decisions:

 

Actions:

 

9. Award Status (John)

Previously:

  • Fixing XSEDE2 budget
  • Need to be clear about the difference between gap funding and XSEDE2 funding
  • Travel wasn't handled properly and there will be impacts
    • For example PM travel was done inconsistently
  • OSP at Illinois still has not yet processed the amendments for the Gap funding, but Lacey remains in daily contact to find out when those will begin coming through. The XSEDE2 funding has not been awarded from NSF as of yet.

Discussion:

 

Decisions:

 

Actions:

Status updates:

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) 
  • CEE (Kelly/Scott) 
  • ECSS (Nancy/Ralph/Sergiu) 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) 
    • EGI MOU, reorganization of ops completed, SP SSO hub, funding for Derek's travel, RDR. need to work with Ron and Dan for the un-allocated level 3; Laura talking to Dana at quarterly
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) 
    • Proceeding as PY6 plans, first allocations coming up. Leadership team met.
  • Program Office (Ron/Laura)
    • 6 out of 20 fully executed supplement amendments with an additional 6 awaing signatures, so finally seeing movement there
    • Rebaselining and travel questions being addressed
    • Awaiting XSEDE2 award and will use new budget tool to administer and process that out to subs; portal development will take place after that and likely demoed at the end of September
    • Metrics Dashboard demo at quarterly
  • SP Forum (Dan)
    • Stanford and South Dakota ACTION Laura send LOI to Victor
  • UAC (Emre)
  • PM&R (Karla/Scott) 
  • NSF (Rudi)
    • Would like to see PEP that he should see on Tuesday
    • ACTION John schedule regular L2 calls with Rudi

 

Next Meeting (due to Quarterly Meeting):  September 15, 2016

  • No labels