Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees:

Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)

Agenda/Notes

1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 

 

2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Leslie Froeschl

Previously:

  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - December 19, 2019
  • (1/16) IPR11 compilation will begin on February 1. Email with instructions will be sent out in the next few days, and L2 PMs will be communicating with people in their area about pulling your section's part of the report together. Please be responsive and get your text in by the due date, and make sure staff in your area do the same. 
    • Risk review email was sent out earlier this week. Please be sure to review all risks assigned to you before the end of January. 
  • (1/30) IPR11 starts 2/1! PY10 plan info will come out late next week.
  • (2/13) Thank you for efforts thus far on IPR11. We are in good shape to submit report on time next week. 
    • PY10 Planning begins next week on 2/17! See Annual Planning Process for the schedule/dates for the various tasks and link to planning spreadsheets.
  • (2/27) PY10 Planning is underway. Teams should be reviewing activities and determining what can be accomplished within budget, populating PY10 KPI targets, and completing the +/- 5% activity. 
    • Note that the Google slides template to use  for PY10 planning presentations at the Quarterly is linked on the March Quarterly wiki page (Google Slides template for L2 PY10 Planning presentations -make a copy for your presentation and remove the unnecessary slides with other L2 KPI info). 
    • Note that John would like one slide included on transition planning efforts in your area (this is included in the slide template). 
    • All KPI target changes for PY10 should be called out in your slides. Any target changes requested after the Quarterly meeting will require a PCR.  
  • (3/26) L3 PY10 planning text is due to your PM by tomorrow (Friday 3/27). L2s then have until next Thursday to finalize planning text for your area. Please help keep our planning process on-track and get this done on time! 
    • Next step will be building slides for XAB April meeting
    • Supplement: Once we've extracted PY10 plan info–update for following year. 
      • Will need parallel discussion re. budget. Reluctant to make across the board  cuts. Prefer conversation with this team about where cuts should be made. BusOps working on preliminary budget. Current intent is to ask all subs to give a plan to spend to net zero by end of PY10. If more beneficial to put projected carryover into PY11 can do that. John open to thoughts on this. Like to see what subawardee plans are. May have to look at plans and make decisions from there. 
      • If we have sufficient carryover for PY11 and request under $20M, can imagine NSF might misunderstand and assume the project can be funded at a lower level. 
        • If we come in with budget close to $22M (close to PY10), do you see danger in that? John doesn't have a good feel for that at this point. Will be part of discussions coming up to determine what the threshold is. Better job we can do to figure out what it will really take to do this the better. 
      • Staying within confines of current award–we are to deliver final transition plan in PY10. Wont' transition until PY11. Bob would like us to try to deliver in PY10 and then deliver updated /final plan in PY11. Solid transition plan depends on knowing who the awardee is. Matching will have to happen between their plan and what we've been doing. Not off the hook for delivering transition plan next year, but won't be the final one. 
      • Travel restrictions in place now makes spending down budget difficult. Anticipate all subs will have this issue.
      • Salary freeze likely next year. Could say freeze salaries across the board. 
      • Will there be an additional annual review? Extension request will be part of this year's annual review together with RY4 & PY10 plan. If reviewed & approved then no need to review again the following year. Potential review of RY5 could be requested. If following expectations, RY5 would be part of final report and no review required. Bob is now considering this and will get back to us. 
      • What is happening with new solicitation? 
        • This was being discussed up to the COVID-19 outbreak. Blueprint doc is clearly their draft of a solicitation. John speculates that thoughtful response they received to that caused them some pause as we pointed out gaping holes in their plan. They're working on something, but unclear when it will come out. 

Discussion:

  • PY10 plan was sent to XAB today for review/feedback.
  • RY4 annual reporting will begin on May 1. 
    • 5/5/2020: L3 text due to PMs; PMs give L3 text to L2s

    • 5/7/2020: All L2 text (including L3 text) due to PMs 

  • Supplement proposal draft will be sent out by tomorrow.
    • Targeting May 1 due date
    • Decision about whether we want to incorporate unspent funds into supplement or get those spent by end of project

Decisions:

 

3. April XAB meeting April 21 (to be held remotely via Zoom) (Ron Payne )

Previously

  • (4/9) Added to agenda

Discussion

  • PY10 planning text sent to XAB today
  • Use slides from March quarterly meeting. Focus presentations on what you really want feedback on.
  • See agenda at XAB 2020 April Meeting
  • Include content about transition? 
    • John to update them that we're submitting supplemental request. 
    • When we go to review typically discuss prior year accomplishments, upcoming PY plan. This year will need to discuss plan for supplemental extension. XAB may have suggestions for this. 
    • Will need to talk transition at some point but this doesn't seem like the best time since we don't currently know who follow-on awardee(s) is. 
  • 7 hour meeting is long. Hard to stay engaged in a virtual meeting for that length of time.
    • Take longer break mid-way through. 
    • Get slides to XAB by next week
    • L2s give quick run-through of slides and invite feedback. Assume they looked at slides before meeting but don't assume they were read carefully. Go through slides critically to see how they can be made as efficient as possible. 
  • Supplemental request should be included in slides. Will also add some focused time at the end to discuss supplement. 

Decisions:


4. New NSF Service Provider Resources  (Victor Hazlewood) 

Previously:

  • (12/19) Added to agenda.  
    • Need to get status/have discussion about how things are going on this call. 
    • Open Storage Network: initial kickoff meeting was Oct 31, meeting minutes sent out to all the affected XSEDE group for integration.  Victor following up with those XSEDE groups. Entry put in RDR for Open Storage Network
    • Stony Brook: had one initial call at the summer quarterly meeting. Victor following up with Robert to do an SP kickoff in Jan
    • U Del: Scheduling kickoff meeting in January.  Doodle poll already sent to them. 
    • Will drop off Bridges-2 and Expanse for detailed status since PSC and SDSC are plugged in so well to XSEDE.  (Ken at PSC and Bob at SDSC, for example)
  • (1/16) Darwin gave timeline of later summer for fall allocations. 
    • Dave H. hadn't heard of DISCO before. Related to Open Storage Network? 
      • Victor talked with them yesterday. MRI award that has already been awarded w/ stipulation that states they will be joining XSEDE. They still need to do XSEDE Federation application. 
      • Planning to pull team together for call after XSEDE Federation application letter is submitted
    • Cancer computer is not on the list. 
      • They still need to go through application process. Will be added once the XSEDE Federation application comes through. John will ping them re. status of their application letter.
    • Kickoff meeting with OSN was held. 
      • Need to get connected with allocations, XCI (Victor sent email to JP & Shava)
    • Kickoff meeting with U Delaware was held. Working to get that connected to allocations process by Oct. 2020 allocations cycle. 
    • Stony Brook has not been responsive to Victor so still working on that. 
  • (1/30): sent 3 emails to Robert Harrison/Stony Brook that haven't been returned. If he doesn't respond soon will be looking for suggestions. John can reach out if they don't respond. 
    • Open Storage Network: They haven't connected with RAS so asked them to do that. Would be helpful to talk to Jim Glasgow (NCSA) about this to prod him to respond. 
    • U Del: Kickoff meeting was held & minutes sent out. They want to say they've made significant progress getting connected to allocations by summer time for late Aug/early Sept XRAC meeting. 
    • Johns Hopkins: waiting for Gayme to submit XSEDE Federation membership. 
  • (2/13) Victor has been working to get in touch with all of these providers with mixed results. Reminder that John is willing to ping people if needed. 
  • (2/27) 
    • Johns Hopkins waiting on RFP for hardware result so he knows exactly what resource he'll have
    • Got in touch with Robert Harrison about getting started. He is planning a meeting with his team. They want to connect and be tied into XSEDE with user names (AMIE), etc. Victor to circle back with him to keep pushing progress.
      • Ruth asked Robert (Ookami)to choose a date in March or April to come to SPF but haven't heard back. 
    • OSN: Kenton sent a note with a status last week. He needs more meetings with folks. Victor pressed people on XSEDE side to get the conversations going. 
      • Trying to get something done by summer for fall allocation cycle, so things need to be getting done. Have made some progress
    • DARWIN has moved along well. Victor had kickoff meeting & making connections with XSEDE group. 
    • DE & OSN needs to be connected to XRAS &  AMIE. 
  • (3/26) Good start with DE but they've dropped off.
    • Steady progress with OSN.  
    • Stony Brook would like to do startups only by Fall & full allocations at a later time (year 4)
      • They proposed 4 year project. First 2 pilot mode & last 2 production with assumption they'll go to production earlier if things go well. (John's recollection-could be wrong). 
    • Haven't heard from Johns Hopkins since about a month ago. Still need XSEDE Federation letter from them.
  • Status of new SP resources:

    SP Resource

    Org

    Link

    PI

    NSF Award

    Target Date

    Bridges-2

    PSC

    Bridges-2 press release

    Nick Nystrom

    1928147

    Summer 2020

    Expanse

    SDSC

    Expanse press release

    Mike Norman

    1928224

    Summer 2020

    DARWIN

    U Delaware

     

    Rudi Eigenmann

    1919839

    Summer Fall 2020

    Open Storage Network

    Collaboration (5)

    openstoragenetwork.org

    Collaboration (5)

    1747507

    Summer Fall 2020

    Ookami

    SUNY at Stony Brook

    Ookami press release

    Robert Harrison

    1927880

    Startups: ~Fall 2020

    Full Allocations: likely 2022

    DISCO

    Johns Hopkins Univ

    DISCO news item

    Dennice Gayme
    Contact: Jaime Combariza

    1920103

    TBD

Discussion:

  • Expect that PSC will plug in as needed to get Bridges 2 online. Sergiu & Nick will be working on this process. Will do everything needed to integrate fully with XSEDE. 
  • Same with Expanse/SDSC. 
  • Need to get back with Gayme about DISCO. He was to submit XSEDE Federation membership letter, but that hasn't happened.
  • Others are making reasonable progress. Will likely come on for fall (not summer).  

Decisions:


5. XDCDB and production server access policy (David Hart  ) 

Previously:

  • (12/19) Added to agenda: SMT Meeting - December 19, 2019.  
    • Following the recent XDCDB security incident, we closed/inactivated a number of XDCDB roles, and we are now fielding requests from users to turn some of them back on. We want to clarify the XSEDE approach (if not formal policy) for responding to such requests consistently.

      Ops & RAS will: 

      • Assess all accounts (Victor will help)
      • Notify people & collect info & put into buckets of staff, SPs, etc.
      • Suggest policy for governing these things
  • (1/16) Working through roles on XDCDB that have access to database & closing out some. Don't know where some came from so may shut those off and see if anyone complains. Not terminating any accounts that have been used in last month. 
    • Victor still working on drafting a policy.
    • Some people only access to get data for IPR. Should they email to get access? In those cases those people have not been removed. Susan still has access.  
  • (1/30) Went through all XDCDB roles. Inactivated a bunch & no one has complained. Done with cleanup. Victor working on drafting a policy. 
    • Identified a couple odd SP cases & need to clarify policy on SPs having access to the database. Security is looking at this and updating the enterprise services standard doc. Adding how to request & be granted roles in the database. 
      • Main question is do we have official ways for SPs to get access to the database? Do we allow them to have access to all/part of database? They have home-grown capabilities that are questionable. 
      • Concern about people making mistakes that have impact on operation of XSEDE. Mostly locked down to read access.
      • One SP pinging database for user info. They should already have this info. 
      • Baseline security standard in doc to specify how you request & approve roles. Maybe need to go back and look at roles and people have to specify why they're requesting it. 
      • Have to support things that we didn't build /design system for. Don't want to unintentionally break things for SPs if we change something. Don't want to be stuck supporting legacy feature for SP. These are unofficial side things the SPs do. Are we required to support unofficial integration mechanisms? At what level can we say change this because we're no longer supporting? Creates dependency that we need to support for others. Prefer formal mechanism that we can support. Not clear if those making use of info should have access to that info. Are they XSEDE staff? Who are they sharing the info with? Nice to have someone document the use cases & see if it violates any issues. If they're not doing anything wrong, determine obligation to support going forward. 
        • TACC script was doing 72K logins/month to look up info about a user that he should already have. Figure out what he needs and how we can get him the info. Shouldn't let anyone do any craziness. Another issue with Jetstream. 
      • Rather document use cases and we evaluate as we normally would. Can come up with specs re. roles & how to access. Final approval by Dave & Greg. If they go beyond our privacy policy then that would need to be evaluated
      • They could pull info from XDMoD 
  • (2/13) Dave collecting details about shadow sites some have set up to use XDCDB. 
  • (2/27) Put session on QM agenda to discuss use cases & how to deal with them. If you're interested, join that session.  
    • Alex put together policy for identity/access. Identity & Authentication Mgmt. Will add QM session request for this. 
  • (3/26) Moving forward looking into who has access, what can be turned off, etc. 

Discussion:

  • Working with all groups to make progress addressing access to database via alternate means. 
  • Victor working on policy. No update. 

Decisions:


Around the call up

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) - 
    •  Review will likely be remote. John to talk more with Bob about this.
    • COVID-19 HPC consortium: 
      • Kudos to Dave & RAS team to rapidly set up instance and adjust to needs of the consortium. Ken has been on every call & doing great job supporting. 
      • Consortium has started discussions with analogous effort in Europe using PRACE to support research around COVID-19. Want to coordinate/collaborate with them, but difficult to have govt to govt collab without formal approvals. XSEDE has signed MOU with PRACE so can support this effort. 3 reps from each side will work on how to connect efforts of teams to exchange thoughts/progress to help move progress more rapidly. Phil, Bob, Shawn Brown to represent XSEDE in this effort (thank you!). Researchers doing work in similar areas will exchange thoughts & ideas on what they're doing to speed results. US side would like more than talking. Europeans not latching onto that idea immediately. The small group will bring back recommendation about how best to proceed. Not looking to co-allocate at this time. 
      • Projects spun up on Bridges, Comet, Stampede2, Frontera, Blue Waters all running projects from this. 
      • Trying to analyze cost/value. Impacts beyond bringing in allocations. Have assigned ECSS staff to things. RAS has supported significantly. John's time has been significant. Business Office to work with partners to pull together something on impact. Timeframe: not urgent but soon. 2 weeks. Will need to be periodically updated. 
      • Will this show up in Annual Report doc? Yes. Need to think about how we want to do this. L2s could have an extra piece to cover COVID-19 efforts. Can provide estimate of value of this/financial impact to project. 
        • Break up and spread through report won't have impact it could have. More impactful to put it all in one section. They can then lift and use as they like. Add to science highlights. 
  • Tim
    • No update
  • CEE (Kelly) - 
    • No update
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil/Sergiu) - 
    • COVID-19 impacts: Bob working with Jay Alameda on training that has been impacted. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) - 
    •  Have made shifts in approach to software distribution. 

    • Sending out newsletters about how XCI can help during COVID crisis
    • ROI: Craig submitting poster paper to PEARC re. PY4-PY8 ROI. Comprehensive ROI analysis. 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Working on transition planning. Looking at software & other non-FTE issues. When software will expire, what we'll need to extend for a year 11, etc.   
    • Alex has talked with lawyers at Illinois. Ok to say we can't forget people, but need to have process consistent & defined so we can inform them of kinds of info we can't forget. Possibly 2 variations: Policy for people who just get portal account–can forget more easily. But if they get an allocation may be a different notice informing them we can only forget so much because we have to report allocation info to NSF. Question about how this is tied into AUP. Still hashing out many details. 
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken/Nathan) - 
    • Supporting COVID HPC consortium. 
    • XRAC submission deadline (April 15) coming up. 
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YRAPeAForh5I9Xvhj8nKjROe3-JN7a1caLYbNamPaw
    • Reminder: Address recommendations (Jira) 
      • Watch for new recommendations after April XAB meeting!
    • Risk review is underway. Update by April 30. 
    • NSF Review: Dry run Monday, June 8. Review June 9-11. (likely online)
    • April XAB meeting: April 21 (to be held remotely via Zoom).
  • SP Forum (Ruth) -  
    • Matt Jones from Buffalo will talk about Ookami at the 4/16 SP Forum (Harrington asked Matt to present, as he isn’t available).

  • UAC (Emre) -  
    • Next meeting after annual review. 
  • NSF (Bob C) - No update


Next Meeting:     SMT - April 23, 2020 


  • No labels