Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


Canonical Meeting Template (as a reminder):

1. Review of meeting agenda
2. Addressing issues

  • Description/Status of issue
  • Review of action items from previous meetings if any
  • Recommended actions and discussion of same
  • Close issue or identify next action items

3. Status updates from SMT members

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)


1. Review of Meeting Agenda: Any comments/additions? 


2. XSEDE2 Reporting (Scott Wells


  • Previous discussion archived: SMT Meeting - September 27, 2018
  • (9/27) John confirming dates for the remainder of the year.
  • (9/27) Risk Review in two weeks.
  • (9/28) Proposed XSEDE2 reporting schedule reviewed by John and sent to the SMT for review and approval.
  • (10/11) Provide more time for completion & avoid conflicts. 
    • Will require an update to PEP. 
    • John has informed Bob that this is coming. 
    • IPR7 work will occur during SC18, but most of the difficulty will fall to John
  • (10/11) Decision to move forward with the proposed new schedule. 
  • (10/25) IPR7 commences on Nov. 1. Changes to this IPR from previous ones include:
    • L2 sections should provide updates on any management changes (L2 director, L3 manager, PM change).
    • L2 section highlights that you want moved up to project level highlight, please highlight this in the template.  Ron will then pull from that for the project level highlights. High impact things. 
  • (11/8) Positive feedback from PMs re. reporting process thus far. Deeper dive into submitted content next week.  Please continue to be responsive to PMs as they try to resolve any issues/questions
  • (12/20) IPRI commences on Feb. 1. 
    • Annual report will be due May 15.
    • NSF review: dry run Monday, June 10. Review June 11-13. 
  • (1/17) Reporting period is coming up in 2 weeks. Risk review notifications will come out next week.
  • (1/31) IPR8 reporting process begins tomorrow. 
    • PY9 Planning begins Feb. 11. 
  • (2/14) IPR8 Copyedits were completed yesterday. John has started his review. 
    • PY9 planning is underway. Plans are due today. Budget info will be added tomorrow.  
  • (3/14) All planning text due to PMs on 3/28. L2s and L3s should be finalizing information to submit for that.
  • (3/28) All PY9 Planning content is due to the PMs today. Thus all L3s and L2s should have their parts done and in the PMs hands by CoB today.
    • As a result of discussions at the QM earlier this month, there is a larger volume of PCRs coming in than usual. We are working through those, but please be patient as we wrangle PCRs and Planning efforts simultaneously.


  • PY9 plan has gone to XAB. They can comment on the doc, ask questions, etc. We will collate comments/suggestions into the plan and will incorporate this the week of April 22. Your PM will be in touch to integrate changes per XAB input. 
  • John: a number of areas didn't have materials in on time. This created a problem with not having enough time to review prior to send to XAB. We were able to recover at the expense of others going out of their way to get it caught up. Have had a good track record of executing in the past. Would like feedback on what happened and whether we need to do something different to hit the target dates. 
    • XCI behind due to PEARC paper deadlines. Spent a lot of time getting info into the shared XCI doc and the next day it was gone. Not sure how or why that happened. Need to figure out root cause.
    • Realize unanticipated things occur. Need to make sure PMs are kept aware of what the situation is if you can't get something to them on time.  
    • ECSS had some quality control issues. Putting in measures to address this in order to avoid that in the future. 


  • Communication is the biggest thing so if something is going on the PMs can take the necessary steps to address it. 

3. KPI Target Changes for RY4 (Ron Payne)



  • 15 KPI target changes came in after the quarterly meeting. 
  • Target changes should be shared during March quarterly so they can be sufficiently discussed and approved. 
    • For some KPIs, John makes note of where targets might be changed during his review of the plan. Need to do something to capture these so SP&E has the chance to look at it too. 
    • Take steps to prevent this in the future. 
    • Post trends during quarterly, call out specific changes


  •  All target changes in the spreadsheet are approved.

4. XAB meeting next week (dinner Tuesday 4/16 at 6pm/Meeting 8am-4pm on Wednesday 4/17) (Ron Payne)


  • (4/9) Added to agenda
  • (4/9) Use March Quarterly meeting slides as basis
    • PY9 plans are the main focus
    • Can anyone switch with Kelly and take the 2:45pm CT presentation slot? 



  • Move Program Office to 2:45 slot. Move CEE to PgO slot. Shorten Points of Interest to 30 minutes

4. June 2019 NSF Panel Review (Ron Payne)



  • New template fits with Discover More campaign look & feel. John will look at new template and make sure it's ok. 
  • Don't have agenda yet, but draft agenda based off of last year is there as a placeholder, but that will change. 


Around the call updates

Follow this basic outline:

  • Status update on significant activities
  • Review of prior open issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of new issues if any (and not addressed earlier in agenda)
  • Identification of recent improvements implemented

Updates from SMT members:

  • PI (John/Ron) -  
    •  Haven't been getting much from Bob that we need to address. 
  • CEE (Kelly) -   
    •  Summer immersion experience will overlap with review. John sent request to Bob for Kelly to present remotely, and Bob confirmed that is fine and the AV will be set up to allow that. 
  • ECSS (Bob S/Phil) -  
    • Further developing PY9 activities
      • ECSS training initiative. Survey out to ECSS staff to get their level of interest in various training activities. Will come up with an estimate for travel budgets for sites with ECSS staff
      • Working more closely with Campus Champions on quarterly basis. Bob gave presentation to CC about fellows program. Should be pushing out announcement that application for fellow is open by next week
      • Building up additional activities in PY9 engaging with other orgs re. sharing best practices
        • Rudi Eigenmann's group (Xpert Network for Computationally and Data-Intensive (CDI) Science): Had a kickoff meeting a few weeks ago & will give talk on their next meeting
        • Similar presentation at CaRCC meeting. 
      • Ways to lower barriers for engaging with XSEDE & ECSS. Lightweight consulting. Working on what form this might take. Way for people to get time with an expert for an hour or so. 
  • XCI (Dave L/Craig) -
    • Meeting today with ECSS to talk about joint advertising of services. 
    • PCR pending that should serve as successful springboard for more funding
    • Ron, Dave, Craig & others finished new paper on ROI. Will end up doing one paper at PEARC (financial benefits) and another at Utility & Cloud Conference (non-financial benefits). Extended abstract has had good reviews. 
  • Ops (Greg/Victor) -  
    • Had SSO incident, items to circle back and address (policy, auditing, logging)
      • Greg has signed off on everything they said they'd do–all are complete. In better position now as a result of this
    • Alex is on-boarded as co-lead of security. Has John communicated about incident response process? John/Alex/Greg may need a call to talk about this. 
      • John spoke to Alex but agrees a call is warranted.  Victor Hazlewood will coordinate meeting. 
    • Security does assessments periodically. AWS for XDCDB assessment is going on now. 
    • Mike is retiring on April 30. Dan is interim while they do a search for a replacement. Search has been posted and closes this week.
  • RAS (Dave H/Ken) -
    • PSC is up & running with XRAS for allocations
    • Multi-phase review added to XRAS
      • PSC using 3 phase review & XSEDE using 2 phase review   
    • Renewals pull info from previous submission. Users can auto-populate NSF award info by entering grant #. 
    • UAC had info about ORCiD on their agenda. John gave some info about this. 
      • Requests from PIs want to know dollar value of award. Only embodied in award letter currently. Would be good if this could be posted as part of award info. 
        • Public pages available through XRAS or could do within info they see for completed awards in submission UI. David Hart will put this on to do list. 
        • David Hart will send Emre slides. 
  • Program Office (Ron/Leslie) - 
    • Reminder: XAB face-to-face meeting. April 16 (dinner); meeting 8am-4pm Chicago time on April 17. 
      • As you complete content for PY9, generate slide versions of that for the XAB meeting
    • Reminder: Enter Publications in XUP and documents in IDEALS
      • Multiple references to best practices & lessons learned in PY9 planning. Tech Report Series is a good place to publish these kinds of documents.
    • Reminder: Reference collaborations in tracking worksheet:
    • PIF window never closes and funds can be accepted anytime
      • L2s asked to encourage their teams to submit ideas 
      • Rich Knepper submitted proposal for Open Stack. Would like a decision within 2 weeks (or on next SMT call at the latest)
    • Annual review is June 11-13, 2019. (dry run on June 10)
      • Agenda should look similar to last year's review. 
      • Everyone should plan to be there for the evening of June 12 in case there is homework that night. John will present responses on Thursday but others aren't required to stay for the responses on Thursday morning. 
    • Got approval from NSF for Internet2 & Notre Dame subawards today. 
    • XSEDE is gold sponsor of PEARC. Will have a table and a presentation slot for XSEDE. What would we like to use that slot for. Slot will be 25 minutes including Q&A. 
  • SP Forum (Ruth) - 
    • No update
  • UAC (Emre) - 
    • UAC met today. 
    • John gave an update about:
      • NSF planning for post-XSEDE 2.0. 
      • Cyberinfrastructure blueprint doc that Manish (NSF) circulated & encouraged them to comment
      • Concern that some existing resources will retire next year before new resources will go live. Will have potential lag next summer. Trying to put together a plan for how we'll get through that time. 
    • Software repository. JP & Shava demoed & got good feedback from UAC members. Will be looking at this more going forward. 
    • A couple people didn't get invites to UAC meeting. Invite was sent to UAC & those who were to give presentations. L2s need to be copied. Ron Paynewill make sure Emre knows.
  • PM&R (Scott) - 
    • No update
  • NSF (Bob C) - 

Next Meeting: 

  • SMT - April 25, 2019 


  • No labels