- XSEDE Overall Organization
- Related Organizations
- Partnering Organizations
- What Does XSEDE Do? Not Do?
- XSEDE Projects
- What's New?
- Quarterly Meetings
- XSEDE PM&R
- Staff General Information
- Confluence and JIRA
- Reporting Templates
- XSEDE Presentation and Media Resources
- XSEDE Newsletters
- XSEDE Staff Surveys
- New Staff Checklist
- A Brief History of High-Performance Computing (HPC)
As a new XSEDE staff person, here is a list of things you need to know about.
New XSEDE Staff Member Resource Checklist
You should ask your Supervisor to respond to the Google Form at the following link in order to allow us to give you access to all of the XSEDE resources you will need to do your job.
Identify Your Supervisor
If you have already met your Supervisor, that's great. If you are not sure who your immediate supervisor is, you may find the XSEDE Organization Chart helpful. If you are still unsure, please send an email to the Lead for your WBS, i.e. the person listed in the yellow boxes in the XSEDE Organization Chart.
Create an Account on the XSEDE User Portal
- Browse to http://www.xsede.org
- Click SIGN IN (in the upper-right hand corner)
- Click Create Account (under the SIGN IN button)
- Complete the form and click SUBMIT
- Once you have your registration set up, if you are not already logged in, please log in by clicking in the upper-right hand corner on http://www.xsede.org
- Verify your account via email
- Set up username and password
- Hover your mouse over the "GoTo" menu in the upper right corner, select 'Staff' and follow the instructions for NOT being a member (i.e. "If you are NOT a member:"):
- Visit Membership Management
- View the list of available communities below by clicking on 'Available Communities'
- On the right of the 'Staff' is a 'Request Membership' link, please fill out the comment field with your role in XSEDE and submit that form to complete your membership request. A staff member will reply as soon as possible adding you to the staff community
Update Your Staff Wiki Profile
- Visit https://confluence.xsede.org
- Make sure you’re logged in.
- Click the dropdown arrow in the upper right corner and click on Profile.
- Click Edit Profile in upper right.
- Make sure your full name and email are correct.
- Fill in a sentence or two with something fun/interesting about you (i.e., I enjoying spending my summer weekends boating!).
- Under Company, make sure your Position (job title), Department (CEE, ECSS, XCI, etc.), and Location (NCSA, PSC, SDSC, etc.) are all populated.
- Click Save.
- If you haven’t already uploaded a photo, select the link on the left for Picture under PROFILE and follow the instructions to upload your photo.
Learn About Your WBS Co-Workers
Once you identify your Supervisor, you may want to send them an email to inform them that you have completed the XSEDE New Staff Guide and that you would like to know more about your WBS. Consider asking them for a list of people who are members of your WBS, and ask them where you fit within your specific WBS hierarchy. Find out if there are any email lists to which you should be added, and identify any regular meetings which are to be held that you should participate in.
Get to Know Your Home Institution's Human Resources Personnel
In addition to becoming officially part of XSEDE, you might also be new staff at your home institution. You should probably already have gone through the new staff orientation of your home institution but, if not, we encourage you to identify the Human Resources staff who should help guide you through the ins and outs of issues such as cybersecurity, sexual harrassment in the workplace, and your overall satisfaction with the work environment. These orientations might include activities you found valuable and, if so, please feel free to share them with us.
Review Codes of Conduct
XSEDE Partner Institutions each have their own codes of conduct. We have compiled a list of links to the respective site's code. Please review your site's Code of Conduct when you have an opportunity.
Did you know?
In a recent Bersin by Deloitte study, 4% of new employees quit after a disastrous first day, and 22% of employee turnover occurs in the first 45 days. Yikes! The pressure is on. Please provide feedback to make this a useful guide.
- No labels