The XSEDE leadership team believes strongly in the importance and value of building a diverse XSEDE workforce. A more diverse team ensures a variety of perspectives, skills, and experiences, which can only enhance the work that we accomplish together. To improve the diversity of applicants for open positions, XSEDE recommends the development of partnerships with institutions that serve historically underrepresented students in STEM; leveraging professional organizations; and taking advantage of conferences, mailing lists, and virtual career fairs. Detailed information on these opportunities is included below. The XSEDE Broadening Participation team can be a resource and assist in promoting employment opportunities.
Conferences & Career Fairs where XSEDE Broadening Participation exhibits and can promote your job opportunities
On behalf of XSEDE, the Broadening Participation team exhibits at several conferences focused on diversity in computing and STEM. As an exhibitor or sponsor, XSEDE has access to attendee lists and uses those to build our mailing lists to advertise career opportunities. We also participate in career fairs that conference organizers offer multiple times per year where we can promote job openings at XSEDE partner sites. XSEDE partner site student programs and employment opportunities can be included in the XSEDE exhibit at both in-person and virtual events. We solicit materials approximately 30 to 45 days prior to the event. Annually, we exhibit at the ACM Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing and the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) conferences, which are held in the fall and listed below. Though XSEDE does not have sufficient funding to pay the exhibitor fees at the ACM Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, it is an excellent venue with well over 20,000 attendees each year.
- AnitaB.org, https://anitab.org/, https://ghc.anitab.org/about/
- ACM Tapia Celebration of Diversity - contact Rose Robinson email@example.com
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans (SACNAS) - https://www.sacnas.org/what-we-do/conference/
Mailing Lists & Newsletters that reach diverse audiences where you can post employment opportunities
XSEDE's Community Engagement & Enrichment (CEE) team maintains a student mailing list which includes students we've interacted with at conferences and on campus visits. Our mailing list also includes students who've participated in XSEDE-sponsored events such as Computing4Change, Advanced Computing for Social Change, Student Champions, and EMPOWER. We are subscribed to many listservs focused on diversity in computing and STEM where job announcements are posted. Below is a list of the outlets for promoting job opportunities that regularly post opportunities with the contacts noted.
- Hispanics in Computing - firstname.lastname@example.org: Linda Akli (email@example.com) and Rosalia Gomez (firstname.lastname@example.org) are subscribed and can post to this listserv.
- blackcomputeHER - https://blackcomputeher.org/contacts/
- Center for Minorities and People with Disabilities in IT (CMD-IT) - contact Rose Robinson (email@example.com)
- SACNAS - https://www.sacnas.org/take-action/find-or-post-a-job/
- XSEDE - Minority Serving Institutions Faculty Mailing List - contact Linda Akli (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- XSEDE - Student Mailing List - contact Rosalia Gomez (email@example.com)
Organizations with Online Employment Opportunity Databases and Listings (The red $ indicates fees are required to post jobs.)
- Black Data Processing Associates (BDPA) https://careers.bdpa.org/employer/pricing/?site_id=23518 ($)
- National Society of Black Engineers - https://careers.nsbe.org/employer/pricing/ ($)
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans (SACNAS) - https://www.sacnas.org/take-action/find-or-post-a-job/ (30 days for free/longer $)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers - https://careercenter.shpe.org/employer/pricing/?extre=1 ($)
- Women in HPC https://womeninhpc.org/community/jobs/post-a-job (free)
In addition to the advice and assistance that the XSEDE Broadening Participation program can provide, we also recommend you engage with your institution's Human Resources (HR) and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives. Funding or leveraging internship opportunities is a longer pathway, but extremely effective for developing talent that fit your organizational needs.